So is this indicative of the quality of what will be on Discover?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

23 Jan 2015

MattiasHG wrote:Challenge accepted: http://phead.mu/s/EqN3P1Z7
Nice one, Matitias ;) best come back ever. Touché'

Theo.M

23 Jan 2015

well I have cleaned it up brilliantly using RX4 including removing any noise and the whoosh on the first note, as well as the delay at the end.. sounds great. Going to start mucking around with it now. I was serious. At least it's a real whistle LOL. A happy accident?

Kategra

23 Jan 2015

Discovery definitely rocks! I like how the verses tie together with the ending. And that 4th chorus is an whistler's bliss :D

Aquila

23 Jan 2015

I can't get the site to work. Nothing is playing and the play button is just an image :frown:

Last Alternative

23 Jan 2015

OK, Mattias. You are officially the shit, man! We all just got schooled right there

*standing ovation*

:t2018: :t2018: :t2018:
That's impressive.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

Yay. Only the king of Reason is man enough to challenge! On my way home now to start my entry.

Im gonna get my ass kicked lol
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

Sorry Mattias, old chum - disqualified. Not a minute long, and and not exclusively using the file.
My Words are my ART

jappe

23 Jan 2015

Aquila wrote:I can't get the site to work. Nothing is playing and the play button is just an image :frown:
What browser and version are you using? Try another browser.

jappe

23 Jan 2015

Nice!

So even bad material can inspire people.
Like in brainstorming sessions, where no ideas should be filtered because they are "too bad" because they have the potential of making us think outside the box.

Ocean of Waves

23 Jan 2015

powned bij Mattias

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:powned bij Mattias
I didn't see you raising your hand, big fellah.
My Words are my ART

Theo.M

23 Jan 2015

Ok I raise Mattias.. It's coming! I am stressed now cause I haven't slept in 48 hrs, my back is killing me (for real), but i don't want anyone to think I am flaking out! Would it bother anyone if I slept and finished this tomorrow and uploaded it then? Say 24 hrs?

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote:Ok I raise Mattias.. It's coming! I am stressed now cause I haven't slept in 48 hrs, my back is killing me (for real), but i don't want anyone to think I am flaking out! Would it bother anyone if I slept and finished this tomorrow and uploaded it then? Say 24 hrs?
With or without sampled beats?
My Words are my ART

Theo.M

23 Jan 2015

BTW this is the cleaned up file if anyone else wants to give it a shot.. after careful trimming i worked out the BPM at 144. This has also had it's transients manually done in Reason then quantized.

if anyone else wants to have some fun:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/926 ... 144BPM.wav

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

That's great thanks Theo. But I think to have a 'challenge' we need a decent number of participants. So far it's been Mattias (using beats), yourself, and I. Maybe there's a lot of hot air instead of music making, even for a bit of spontaneous fun.

This could be one of those great things that get out of control, and the original whistler will get the shock of his life that many people have chopped up his 'song' into something unique.

But so far it's all quiet on the western front, except for the usual "ewww Mattias, u so coooool". And let's face it, he is pretty cool. I once offered to have his baby, but he relented. Anyway, what guidelines should be given to this challenge, if it gets off the ground, my dear friend Theo? You're going to use that damn violin intro, aren't you ! :t2018:

I will go so far as to donate a prize of 'Lectric Panda's skope if (and only *if*) there are 30 people who submit GENUINE entries. No fakeries, no ridiculous 'didn't try too hard', but genuine entries. Preferrably with no other instruments or samples. Or maybe some percussion only. Why Skope? Well I don';t know. It's cheap, and I'm not a rich man, but I really love the way that developer has thrown himself into the RE market. Who knows, maybe he will be kind enough to donate a license to the winner for a bit of exposure. But if not, I'll pony up. Honestly, the QUAD Challenge was such a great community vibe booster, and there should be more group activity - after all, this is a forum of music makers. Despite what JOhn Richards thinks of me, I really liked the suggestions he made of having a forum where people needed to submit some music each week in order to get extra posting privileges. Sadly, I think the forum would be a very quiet place if that were enacted.

So if anyone wants to get themselves up off their knees and actually get involved, then make yourselves known.
My Words are my ART

Theo.M

23 Jan 2015

Hey Namahs, I have been working on it, still can't sleep LOL, i think i am on third (or fourth?) wind, I am having some fun but DAMN there are nasty squealing frequencies in that thing.. so far i had the best results with a touch of 4 dyne and the Eve At4 - all reduction.. and finally the mcdsp comps become useful for me for the first time, as they work fantastic on the whistle.

If we get 30 and I win, already have skope (and love it), so i'd raffle mine off which would be fun too!

But 30 is a bit ambitious no? Why not set it at 10 or 15?

EnochLight

23 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote: Is this indicative of the kind of collaboration .... if it's being aimed at hobbyist kids exploring collaboration?
I think you just described the entire non-Reason community of user's opinion towards Reasoners since 2000. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Theo.M

23 Jan 2015

Ok Damn I am going all the way and turning this into a complete EDM hands up track. Oh well LOL... will have a rough take tomorrow and final should be done by Sunday.. am going to do it properly and see what i can come up with. Have the beat already, the whistle sounds good with AT3/Frog/3Plex/Tsar - now need to write a bassline and a couple chords to match. and of course i will then need to write a lead to sit with the whistle as it's just not big enough to carry the lead (and yes I tried chenille, polar, etc).. At least it's fun.. it's the first time I have challenged myself to make a song out of something stupid! LOL!

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

I'm unclear on your interpretation of the rules. I could stick six tracks of the core sample through some NSL patches, but IMO that's not very creative.
My Words are my ART

Theo.M

23 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I'm unclear on your interpretation of the rules. I could stick six tracks of the core sample through some NSL patches, but IMO that's not very creative.
Me you mean? Sure the whistle is a main feature, but i am creating a full on track as in I am aiming for commercial quality here.. do you really think that whistle as is, is good enough for that sort of track? I don't think it is unfortunately. :frown:

And of course I will be as creative as I can to make the whistle itself prominent in certain parts! 

My aim shifted as i started getting further into the track though. (sorry).

PS it would be very creative if i could import it in Alchemy (the whistle) and make a bunch of unique new things out of it - RE sample import anyone? (hint props). 

Edit : PS I am curious what you meant by sticking the sample through a bunch of NSL patches.. that's not the sort of song I am creating at all..

jfrichards

23 Jan 2015

Noplan wrote:Im not a prophet, but i can imagine that Apple throws a new Smartrecorder on the market or some adaptable Beats-iMics for the Iphone. 

PH could have some background infos and is now polishing the apple with Apple  :roll:
GarageBand on the iPhone is already way ahead of Figure and Take, but Figure has that Kaossilator coolness.  The Props are taking all this a step further with the Discover thing.  Five years from now, internet musical collaboration will be firmly established at a high level, both the ease of it and the sound quality.  Maybe Props will do with Discover what they did with the Rewire and rex standards?

jfrichards

23 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Challenge ! Seriously, let's see what you can do with a single sound file. Confined to 6.5 devices so Yorick can play. That means no synchronous or audiospastic. Edit: addressing to all not just huey
Sorry, music is not fast food for me.  :s0238:  

Reason101

23 Jan 2015

My response to OP: Pretty much. ;-)
RobReason Book: Reason101 Visual Guide to the Reason RackReason Site: http://www.Reason101.netSoundCloudhttp://www.soundcloud.com/phi-sequence Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/robanselmi

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote:
Edit : PS I am curious what you meant by sticking the sample through a bunch of NSL patches.. that's not the sort of song I am creating at all..
My point was, not personal to you, but to really push the boundaries, we could stay restricted to just the sample, and nothing else. Yorick mentioned in the old forum that he created an entire song with just one instrument. It was the showcase instrument for the challenge, and although the rules did not require him to do so, he took it on board as his own personal challenge, and the end result was pretty good.

With that whistle, all sorts of things can be done, without introducing other instruments. Try slicing a small segment out of it, and dropping it by 48 semitones, then applying a Scream patch. Take another slice, time stretch the shit out of it, then lay that clip over three tracks, a 1st, 3rd and a 5th (or whatever), to make droning chords. All sorts of things can be done to the original TAKE.

So what I was inferring, if we have no limitations on what devices to use, whether it be instruments or after-market FX, I *could* throw it into one of Jeremy's patches, and make 'instamusic'. Those patches all use native devices. Complex, to be sure, and nothing I could ever design, but they are still there. Have you ever browsed to the 'Chipify' patch in Reason ? I could put Bohemian Rhapsody through that patch, or a recording of an armpit fart, and it would sound the same.

Hence why I am asking, what would be the 'rules' ? Where do we draw the line? Not that it matters, because the armchair critics will prefer to mock us instead of participating, and I'm not going top spend 10 hours crafting a song if there's no communal spirit in the proposition.

And Mister Richards.. Touche, a well played retort. I had wondered if you read my comment earlier.
My Words are my ART

jfrichards

23 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:...
And Mister Richards.. Touche, a well played retort. I had wondered if you read my comment earlier.
Just sitting here waiting for your Michelin 3-star songs to be served.

• Information