SugarBytes DrumComputer deal

Discuss VST stuff here!
huggermugger

18 May 2023

DrumComputer, a brilliant drum synth with intelligent randomization features and a killer sequencer. IMHO, the best drum synthesizer available. On sale at Audio Plugin Deals for fifty bucks.

https://audioplugin.deals/product/drumc ... gar-bytes/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 6.42.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 6.42.41 PM.png (726.78 KiB) Viewed 751 times

Arpeg
Competition Winner

19 May 2023

I've been wanting this for a while.. Thanks for the notification

dvdrtldg

21 May 2023

huggermugger wrote:
18 May 2023
DrumComputer, a brilliant drum synth with intelligent randomization features and a killer sequencer. IMHO, the best drum synthesizer available.
Better than Microtonic? I've been thinking of getting a VST drum synth, how would you compare the two?

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2023

The sequencer in Drum computer is probably better. I like Microtonic better but it’s a matter of taste. Try the demo. I tried it out a couple of times thinking it would be what I need but it didn’t hit the spot for me.

huggermugger

21 May 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 May 2023
Better than Microtonic? I've been thinking of getting a VST drum synth, how would you compare the two?
Microtonic has a basic synth engine - noise plus an oscillator with a few tasty modulation options. The sounds are clean, punchy, and synthetic sounding. The sequencer is like an enhanced version of ReDrum. Microtonic also has the online pattern/kit resource Patternarium, which is a wealth of new ideas.

DrumComputer has a more sophisticated engine - resonator, wavetables, samples (incl user samples), resynthesis, FM, deep modulation, lots of smart (very smart) randomizing, The sequencer is like DrumSequencer on steroids. If Reason ever figures out MIDI out from a VST, the sequencer alone would be a reason to own DrumComputer.

Both have multi output option. Both have MIDI drag and drop into Reason.

I like both and I use both a lot. For punch, pointy, bleepy drums, Microtonic. For more complex, sometimes even 'natural' sounding drums, DrumComputer.

Goriila Texas

28 May 2023

Drum computer is buggy asf in standalone with ASIO not working with my RME I only get the left channel to play. It wants you to use WASAPI but it has way more latency than ASIO, so I will only use it as a vsti. Still playing with it before I call it trash.

My first impression is that this is not an drum machine you can use without reading the manual as will not know that each sound has 3 engines. I'm still trying to grasp the mapping/zones for each sound. The drum synth has numbers instead of showing key notes so you'll have to be ear trained. From the manual C is number 24.

huggermugger wrote:
21 May 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
21 May 2023
Microtonic has a basic synth engine - noise plus an oscillator with a few tasty modulation options. The sounds are clean, punchy, and synthetic sounding. The sequencer is like an enhanced version of ReDrum. Microtonic also has the online pattern/kit resource Patternarium, which is a wealth of new ideas.

DrumComputer has a more sophisticated engine - resonator, wavetables, samples (incl user samples), resynthesis, FM, deep modulation, lots of smart (very smart) randomizing, The sequencer is like DrumSequencer on steroids. If Reason ever figures out MIDI out from a VST, the sequencer alone would be a reason to own DrumComputer.

Both have multi output option. Both have MIDI drag and drop into Reason.

I like both and I use both a lot. For punch, pointy, bleepy drums, Microtonic. For more complex, sometimes even 'natural' sounding drums, DrumComputer.

huggermugger

28 May 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
28 May 2023
Drum computer is buggy asf in standalone with ASIO not working with my RME I only get the left channel to play. It wants you to use WASAPI but it has way more latency than ASIO, so I will only use it as a vsti. Still playing with it before I call it trash.

My first impression is that this is not an drum machine you can use without reading the manual as will not know that each sound has 3 engines. I'm still trying to grasp the mapping/zones for each sound. The drum synth has numbers instead of showing key notes so you'll have to be ear trained. From the manual C is number 24.
I've only used it as a VST in Logic and Reason, and it's been bug-free for a year.

You can create your own mappings, such as a standard one semitone per drum, starting at C1, just like UMPF drums. And the mapping is separate from a preset, so you can load different presets without having to remap. DrumComputer identifies the note name when you press a key, but by default it displays standard MIDI note numbers (#60 is Middle C, C3).

There are several excellent videos by Tom Cosm that explain DrumComputer in detail. You'll find links to all of them at the SugarBytes website DrumComputer page. Here's a link to the video on Mapping. It might be helpful.

Goriila Texas

28 May 2023

I actually just watched that video lol.

huggermugger wrote:
28 May 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
28 May 2023

I've only used it as a VST in Logic and Reason, and it's been bug-free for a year.

You can create your own mappings, such as a standard one semitone per drum, starting at C1, just like UMPF drums. And the mapping is separate from a preset, so you can load different presets without having to remap. DrumComputer identifies the note name when you press a key, but by default it displays standard MIDI note numbers (#60 is Middle C, C3).

There are several excellent videos by Tom Cosm that explain DrumComputer in detail. You'll find links to all of them at the SugarBytes website DrumComputer page. Here's a link to the video on Mapping. It might be helpful.

• Information