Reason skipping notes on separate lanes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ghostrunner

17 Dec 2020

Hello,

I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything. If there is a topic already that describes this issue, please close/ delete this post.

Whenever I want to separate a chord progression into different lanes for a better overview of the project, Reason always skips the notes that stay the same when moving from one progression to the next. However only if the next progression is on a lower lane. It seems to work fine when it jumps to an upper lane. For better understanding I made a short video, showing what I mean:

When the progression is on the same lane, no problem. When the second block is on the upper lane, no problem. When I put it on the lower lane however, Reason skips the notes that stay the same during transition.
I just wanted to ask if this is intended or a bug and if the only workaround is to either have everything on the same lane or to always progress into a higher lane; which makes looping rather annoying to deal with.
I should mention that I noticed this in Reason 8 for the first time (a few years back). I'm currently on Reason 10 (10.4d4; build 9.878).

Greetings

bitley

18 Dec 2020

It doesn't.

But you need to know the distinct difference between audio and midi.

Midi has a note on and a note off. If you try to cut midi notes as if they were audio tracks you will get this result.

antic604

18 Dec 2020

bitley wrote:
18 Dec 2020
It doesn't.

But you need to know the distinct difference between audio and midi.

Midi has a note on and a note off. If you try to cut midi notes as if they were audio tracks you will get this result.
Have you watched the video, though? This shouldn't be happening, as the clips obviously have proper gate messages.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

rmtcvolte

19 Dec 2020

Hi, never encountered that issue, but was able to reproduce it with "Dual Arpeggio", "RPG-8", "AutoArp" (from Black&Orange - no longer available in the shop) and the build in Arp in Wave´s - Flow Motion FM Synth.

The only workaround I could found is to shorten the note length in the clip slightly.

As I´m on R10 too and only have R11 lite version to test with (where the problem still exist), it would be interesting to here, if someone with latest release could test this too.

Ghostrunner

19 Dec 2020

Hi,

I noticed that, unlike my claim in the original post, the same thing happens when moving to an upper lane aswell. The only workarounds I know are either using the same lane, or like rmtcvolte said, slightly shortening the midi length. Reason only seems to skip notes when it is stretched to the maximum length of the clip. Which I guess would make sense in regard what bitley said. I'm just wondering then why notes don't get skipped when I duplicate clips on the same lane, with maximum midi length.

Ghostrunner

26 May 2023

Hello again,

almost 3 years later I'm still battling this bug. There's also a random nature to this as you can see at the end of this new video, where I moved both blocks up a lane and suddenly it works:

I wanted to ask if anybody who's currently on Reason 12 could try to replicate this and see if it's still something that happens in the current version? I'm still on v10.

Ahornberg

26 May 2023

It seems that the notes in the yellow pattern are longer than the pattern.

Maybe share your .song file so that others here can check what's going on.

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2023

Ahornberg wrote:
26 May 2023

Maybe share your .song file so that others here can check what's going on.
I can ONLY get that behavior IF the notes in the first clip overlap, but yea it SHOULD be more consistent even in those cases. Another example of when "quantize note off" would really come in handy.
Selig Audio, LLC

Ghostrunner

26 May 2023

Ahornberg wrote:
26 May 2023
They don't extend the range of the block. I usually snap them to the grid by hand. When the notes overlap none of the different positions of the two blocks matter, the second (green) block wouldn't play in any case.
It also doesn't make sense that everything triggers just fine if I move both blocks up one lane. The note choking should persist.

Ahornberg

26 May 2023

So in Reason 12 this does not happen. Maybe time to upgrade?

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2023

Ghostrunner wrote:
26 May 2023
Ahornberg wrote:
26 May 2023
They don't extend the range of the block. I usually snap them to the grid by hand. When the notes overlap none of the different positions of the two blocks matter, the second (green) block wouldn't play in any case.
It also doesn't make sense that everything triggers just fine if I move both blocks up one lane. The note choking should persist.
Yes, it absolutely should persist, it's some sort of bug for sure.
Until it is addressed, the 'fix' is simple which is to quantize the length of the notes so they don't overlap/extend over the end of the clip, which allows you to put the clips anywhere on any lane as you would expect.

For the record, I was able to recreate most of this inconsistent behavior in the latest version of Reason 12, but ONLY when extending the notes in the first clip beyond the clip boundary. So it's still happening, and I'm happy to report it if no one else has done so or what's to do so. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ghostrunner

26 May 2023

selig wrote:
26 May 2023
Yes, it absolutely should persist, it's some sort of bug for sure.
Until it is addressed, the 'fix' is simple which is to quantize the length of the notes so they don't overlap/extend over the end of the clip, which allows you to put the clips anywhere on any lane as you would expect.
Yea that's exactly what I've been doing. Time consuming, but luckily I'm not working too much with hard quantized stuff like this.
selig wrote:
26 May 2023
For the record, I was able to recreate most of this inconsistent behavior in the latest version of Reason 12, but ONLY when extending the notes in the first clip beyond the clip boundary. So it's still happening, and I'm happy to report it if no one else has done so or what's to do so. :)
I would expect this behavior with notes that extend the clip length and overlap with others (at least from Reason lol). So if it doesn't happen on R12 if all notes are still within the clip, then yea maybe it's time to upgrade.
I haven't reported it, I'd leave it to you yes. Thank you.

Ahornberg

26 May 2023

An easy "fix" would be to use only one note lane.

Josdams

30 May 2023

In my 17 years using Reason, yes it is a problem to use multiple lanes for some weird problem that I still no understand so I always use just one lane

• Information