What makes Reason a great “Idea Starter”?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 May 2023

guitfnky wrote:
24 May 2023
to put that more succinctly—creativity is never about the tools, it’s always about the creator.
Well, if something like lighting or temperature can affect your mood and flow, a lot of characteristics of the tool can affect you. IMHO.

EnochLight

25 May 2023

guitfnky wrote:
25 May 2023
selig wrote:
25 May 2023

OK, point taken - but this thread is about folks who use Reason as an “idea starter”, so it starts with the assumption that tools are used (if not needed) be that pen/paper or music creation software. From there we discuss why the tools (Reason specifically, although other tools are useful to discuss for comparison) work for us, or why not.
yeah, got it, but you’re moderating the wrong guy. I didn’t bring it back up. I’m going to respond if someone says something to me that warrants response. maybe reach out to Enoch. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's fine - we're on topic. You feel that the tools aren't important and it's merely the creator; I feel the tools you choose are important to a very clear degree. In this case, Reason - an an idea starter - is pretty valuable to me. Could I do it in another DAW (tool)? Perhaps - but none are as inspiring as Reason is for what I do. And if I try to work in those "other" tools, what I come up with isn't at the same level as what I would come up with in my preferred tool (Reason). Not everyone is a virtuoso in everything; nor should they be.
guitfnky wrote:
25 May 2023
there’s an old adage that says a good craftsman never blames their tools. yeah.
..says the producer with only 2 sticks and a coffee can. ;)

Do you use Reason as an idea starter? Or is it your main DAW? Just RRP in another DAW? Curious what gives you the most inspiration to create.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

25 May 2023

EnochLight wrote:
25 May 2023
Do you use Reason as an idea starter? Or is it your main DAW? Just RRP in another DAW? Curious what gives you the most inspiration to create.
👍🏼

I’ll start last question first—what gives me the most inspiration to create?…I do. we all seem to generally agree that instruments and DAWs are tools. tools don’t have anything to offer but functionality. I see it like a carpenter with a really nice hammer—sure, it may be their favorite hammer and they really want to get out there and use it, but they’re not gonna get very far until they figure out what needs nailing.

I agree wholeheartedly that what you’re able to DO with the tool helps form what actually comes out at the end. but it doesn’t make you more or less creative—it only opens or limits what you can do with those ideas to certain paths.

I don’t usually use Reason as my main DAW or starting point for my ideas anymore because of all that—once I remembered that I’m the only thing I need to make music, the DAW became much less important to me. I do still reach for RRP when that’s where my creativity takes me. the tools are, and will probably always continue to be fantastic.

and that’s kind of my whole point—the DAW isn’t very important, and which plugins and the individual instruments we have isn’t important either. but we watch Youtube video reviews and take the slightest hint about what direction a company go and talk about it all like it makes a real difference—and because of all that noise, we decide we need to give them/not give them our hard-earned money. it’s all just GAS fuel, and we (myself included) continue to add to it by participating.

and there’s nothing wrong with that either. I just think it’s useful to be aware that we’re in many ways tricking ourselves into buying stuff/brand loyalty, that’s all.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2023

guitfnky wrote:
25 May 2023
selig wrote:
25 May 2023

OK, point taken - but this thread is about folks who use Reason as an “idea starter”, so it starts with the assumption that tools are used (if not needed) be that pen/paper or music creation software. From there we discuss why the tools (Reason specifically, although other tools are useful to discuss for comparison) work for us, or why not.
yeah, got it, but you’re moderating the wrong guy. I didn’t bring it back up. I’m going to respond if someone says something to me that warrants response. maybe reach out to Enoch. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Apologies - that came out wrong, it was supposed to be a general reminder to the group and certainly not aimed at you or any other individual. Next time I'll not quote an individual!
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

25 May 2023

EnochLight wrote:
25 May 2023
guitfnky wrote:
24 May 2023
you’re right. it’s your opinion.

no one with that level of talent would make those kinds of excuses.
No amount of talent will allow you to produce a great banger if your only tools aren’t up to snuff.
Right, gear is not important, unless you have none, then it is the most important thing. :puf_bigsmile:

Rising Night Wave

25 May 2023

1st stage is asociation
2nd stage is inspiration
3rd stage is an idea
and 4th stage is product

so... reason must be very good at the beginning - so at asociation.
this means... everything that has to do with reason is a good association for later developement.
so:
- GUI
- workflow
- REs
- and most important sounds (presets and so on...)

--- --- --- --- --- ---

i have a friend who told me once if a synthesizer has a good sounds that inspires him for good songs.
this only approves my theory and thought.

same at me. i almost every time starts with searching for an appropriate sound in reason library (according to my mood) and then i create a loop. and then a song.
so my approach also tells this is true.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

so reason must be a very good peace of a software.
which means... a great combination of people standing behind reason.
so only i can say is: BRAVO!

thumbs up to reason studios.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

association is what counts most.
and if you are static - lets say in life - you wont get any associsation because you are always surrounded with same things.
so this means reason is developing in great way. and always offers something new and inspiring.

the only thing i do not know and understand since i am not into the scene - according what you people said before - that reason is good for start but not best for finishing work. well... let's say it this way: than this is somehow a stealing. but in a good way. not in a bad way. perhaps this means people are not that much familiar with reason and because of a halo efect they turn to other daws. this is more a marketing part of whole thing. perhaps reason did somewhere in timeline lost their "throne". i am nost sure if this is so but am assuming it perhaps has to be this way.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

anyway. i love reason daw. i like to work with it.

the only thing that BOTHERS me A LOT !!! is ... there is not that much attention goven to underground styles. really.
lets say: all those 500+ sound packs in reason+ subscription... but only a few true underground sound packs.
there are a lot of people who like love or admire true techno songs, true house songs and so on.
but reason is focusing more or less only to commercialy successfully styles like trap, hip-hop and so on.

well, reason studios, do not forget to us who like underground.

otherwise cheers! thumbs up.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

hassanizhar

26 May 2023

Reason is often regarded as a great "idea starter" due to several key factors:

Intuitive Interface: Reason offers a user-friendly and visually appealing interface that encourages creativity. Its rack-style design resembles physical studio gear, making it easier for musicians to understand and explore different sound possibilities.

Modular Environment: Reason's modular approach allows users to connect virtual devices and instruments in a flexible and intuitive manner. This modular environment fosters experimentation and inspires new ideas by enabling users to easily combine and route audio and control signals.

Vast Sound Library: Reason comes with an extensive collection of high-quality built-in instruments, effects, and sample libraries. This wealth of sounds and creative tools provides immediate inspiration and allows users to quickly explore various genres and styles.

Unique Devices and Effects: Reason offers a range of unique and innovative devices and effects that can shape and transform sounds in unconventional ways. These tools, such as the Grain Sample Manipulator or Europa Synthesizer, can spark new ideas and help musicians discover fresh sounds and textures.

Live Performance Features: Reason's performance-oriented features, including its flexible sequencer and performance mode, enable musicians to experiment and improvise in real-time. This live aspect of Reason enhances the creative process by allowing artists to explore different musical directions on the fly.

The main difference between a full-blown Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) and a creative "idea starter" like Reason lies in their focus and feature set. While a full-blown DAW aims to provide a comprehensive set of tools for recording, editing, mixing, and mastering music, an idea starter focuses more on inspiring creativity and generating initial musical ideas.

An idea starter like Reason prioritizes features that facilitate experimentation, sound exploration, and quick inspiration. It may offer a more streamlined workflow, unique devices, and a user-friendly interface tailored to spark creativity. On the other hand, a full-blown DAW typically includes a wider range of advanced features and tools for professional music production, catering to the entire music production process from start to finish.

To maintain and increase its ability to be a creative spark, Reason can continue to focus on:

Evolving the User Experience: Reason can further refine its interface and workflow to ensure it remains intuitive and visually appealing. Continual improvements and user-driven enhancements can enhance the creative experience.

Expanding Sound Libraries: Regularly adding new instruments, effects, and sample libraries can provide users with fresh sounds and inspire new creative directions. Collaborating with artists and sound designers to create unique content can further enhance Reason's appeal.

Innovative Devices and Effects: Introducing new and innovative devices and effects can push the boundaries of sound design and inspire users to explore new sonic territories. Reason can continue to develop tools that offer unique ways of manipulating and creating sounds.

Integration and Collaboration: Reason can explore integrations with other creative tools and platforms to expand its capabilities and provide users with seamless workflows. Collaborating with other software developers and artists can lead to exciting new possibilities.

Community Engagement: Building an active and supportive user community can foster creativity and provide a platform for sharing ideas, techniques, and inspiration. Reason can facilitate community engagement through forums, tutorials, workshops, and user-driven content.

By focusing on these aspects, Reason can maintain and enhance its reputation as a powerful and inspiring tool for music creation and idea generation.

crimsonwarlock

26 May 2023

hassanizhar wrote:
26 May 2023
Hello ChatGPT :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Overtherainbow

26 May 2023

I think the thing Reason has that other DAWs don't is an extra layer of immersion in the rack.

The best idea-started hands down is a guitar or a piano or any other physical instrument that just lets you be immersed in the process of producing sound. Reason is the next best thing to this, because not only are most REs skeuomorphic, but you can also flip them around and fiddle with the wires, which makes the whole thing that much more believable and thus more immersive.

For this reason I absolutely loathe how they changed the groove mixer from a skeuomorphic design to "wannabe Ableton" design, which works against immersion and without giving us an option to choose this with a tick in the settings. Terrible blunder, in my opinion.

The "skeuomorphic+flipit" immersive design even has advantages over the guitar and piano (or enter your instrument here) in that you can have literally 0 skill in any instrument to be able to immerse yourself and produce artistic value.

No other DAW has that extra layer of immersion but, unfortunately, this very same design produces a problem of clunky navigation in larger projects, which the sequencer, being what it is, makes absolutely no effort to compensate for.

To me, phrases like "it's a good idea starter by design and we're proud of it" is a very lame excuse for being blind, deaf and stupid. There've been requests and solutions to current problems presented on this forum for years and by people who actually use the damn software. For the life of me, I don't understand why they want the (dying) niche of utensil rent, when they can be selling the whole kitchen. That kitchen is near-finished too and has been for years.

Ed

EnochLight

26 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 May 2023
hassanizhar wrote:
26 May 2023
Hello ChatGPT :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean, I'm starting to get suspicious but... I use Chat GPT as well (for my work) so... it tracks. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bxbrkrz

26 May 2023

Question for the thread: do you have ideas (in your head, playing instruments...) then you fire up Reason, or the ideas come once you are looking at Reason?

Post sparks, or pre sparks?
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2023

bxbrkrz wrote:
26 May 2023
Question for the thread: do you have ideas (in your head, playing instruments...) then you fire up Reason, or the ideas come once you are looking at Reason?

I have both, as well as songs starting from beat ideas, or patch ideas (can't tell you how many sound design sessions turned into song creation sessions). I'm not that prolific compared to the full time 'pro' song writers I know, so I feel I must take ideas ANY way they come.

I even let Reason "start" ideas with little prompting, such as with Quad Note or Bass Line Generators. Most of what they spit out doesn't float my boat, but all it takes is HALF an idea from one of theses tools and I'm often off and running on my own. Kinda like using electronic ignition/starter on your car rather than hand cranking your engine. I'm still the DRIVER, but if I don't yet know where I'm going I'll be totally open to suggestion even if it is essentially random - and of course I gotta get that engine started…

I've also opened a book to and started reading to get ideas, or turned on the radio and quickly turned it back off and tried to re-create what I THOUGHT I heard. Hey, whatever works!

But despite feeling excited when I actually DO hear a song idea in my head, I also feel anxious because I KNOW how quickly those ideas can disappear. I call those ideas akin to "timid woodland creatures" - you're lucky to sight one but then even the slightest noise (like getting the camera out) sends them scurrying off never to be seen again. So in those cases I depended even MORE on the tools to stay out of my way and JUST WORK.

As a life long piano player, I'll often just start with the generic ID8 (name checks out) for getting the basic idea recorded as quickly as possible - even me playing a wrong note can evaporate the idea in an instant! And who can put a price on ideas? So I obviously don't like loosing ideas...

If Reason isn't fired up I also have my phone memo at hand, as well as the keyboard mixer's built in SD Card recorder which has 'saved' many in idea from obscurity.

For all but the simplest chord progression or melody I need to record it - paper and pencil IS sometimes used, but is often even more unreliable (for my ideas) than a simple voice recorder in a pinch. More than once I've written down that killer idea only to play it later and think "meh"...
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

26 May 2023

bxbrkrz wrote:
26 May 2023

Both for me as well. Often it's "fire up Reason; get inspired" but that's because I'm a huge fan of Players and generative stuff, as well as sample manipulation (Mimic), which probably comes from my MPC experience. Once you start chopping up samples and f'ing around, it's on. Hard to do that until I literally open Reason. :lol: But sometimes I'll get an idea in my head that I want to flesh out...

guitfnky

26 May 2023

selig wrote:
26 May 2023
If Reason isn't fired up I also have my phone memo at hand, as well as the keyboard mixer's built in SD Card recorder which has 'saved' many in idea from obscurity.

For all but the simplest chord progression or melody I need to record it - paper and pencil IS sometimes used, but is often even more unreliable (for my ideas) than a simple voice recorder in a pinch. More than once I've written down that killer idea only to play it later and think "meh"...
my phone has become arguably my most important tool in the last few years. lyrics, voice memos with melody ideas, etc. as a guitarist whose entire sound hinges on HOW something is played (where on the fretboard, what’s the fingering/inversion, how does it flow into the next note…), I used to constantly lose ideas because I would record audio and forget how I was making my hands do what was needed. now, every idea gets video recorded with a quick visual breakdown of exactly how to play it. absolute game changer for me.

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2023

guitfnky wrote:
26 May 2023
my phone has become arguably my most important tool in the last few years. lyrics, voice memos with melody ideas, etc. as a guitarist whose entire sound hinges on HOW something is played (where on the fretboard, what’s the fingering/inversion, how does it flow into the next note…), I used to constantly lose ideas because I would record audio and forget how I was making my hands do what was needed. now, every idea gets video recorded with a quick visual breakdown of exactly how to play it. absolute game changer for me.
Great point, our phones are one of the most valuable "idea starter" (or maybe "idea documenter??) tools around.

First time I saw someone doing that (video for remembering guitar chords) was a real "why didn't I think of that" moment for sure. So simple, yet so much more reliable. I'm slow to adapt old tools to new applications, but I now try to use video/audio instead of just audio in most cases.

I also only recently "learned" you can use your phone camera to remember things like your hotel room number or license plate number - was stuck in the idea that cameras were for images, not information. Whatever Works.

Which reinforces for me the fact that any decent tool can be used for whatever creative application you can think of if it works for you. Whatever Works is still one of my favorite creative concepts (with emphasis on the "works" part, because sometimes it doesn't!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Heigen5

26 May 2023

My question would be that "Why Reason standalone would only be good for idea starting and not for the whole game?"

aeox
Competition Winner

26 May 2023

Reason sets the mood, I get immersed in the environment.

jam-s

26 May 2023

Heigen5 wrote:
26 May 2023
My question would be that "Why Reason standalone would only be good for idea starting and not for the whole game?"
As Mattias said: It is good for the whole game, but not tailored especially for doing mixing, mastering or post-production work all day.

gbuck

26 May 2023

I read almost daily the chatter on RT and usually keep to myself without commenting, but I must say this... I've used most of the top 10 DAW's and nothing comes close to Reason 12.6! And yes you can mix tracks, and you can master your mixdown with relative ease. And yes it's the best idea starter too. I've searched the great web and cannot find a comparison video that actually shows how the other DAW's are better. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

EnochLight

26 May 2023

gbuck wrote:
26 May 2023
I've searched the great web and cannot find a comparison video that actually shows how the other DAW's are better. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
I mean - it’s all going to be subjective anyway. There’s a plethora of reasons why other (more popular) DAW are “better”, but most of those reasons boils down to what (those) users need. What YOU need may be completely different than what most others need. If Reason DAW works perfectly fine for you, then leave it at that. You don’t need someone to convince you to try another DAW.

gbuck

26 May 2023

EnochLight wrote:
26 May 2023
gbuck wrote:
26 May 2023
I've searched the great web and cannot find a comparison video that actually shows how the other DAW's are better. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
I mean - it’s all going to be subjective anyway. There’s a plethora of reasons why other (more popular) DAW are “better”, but most of those reasons boils down to what (those) users need. What YOU need may be completely different than what most others need. If Reason DAW works perfectly fine for you, then leave it at that. You don’t need someone to convince you to try another DAW.
Thank you, I am only curious as to some of the posts that come out now and then. And I do have most other DAW's already.

gbuck

26 May 2023

And I'm here to give Reason a thumbs up.

guitfnky

27 May 2023

EnochLight wrote:
26 May 2023
gbuck wrote:
26 May 2023
👏🏼🙌🏼

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2023

Heigen5 wrote:
26 May 2023
I can only answer for myself, but my general background is studio engineering using SSL and Pro Tools in the past.

The main problem is “the whole game” is really a huge market. It includes all genres of studio production, as well as film music, FX, dialog, and mixing. This means we’re talking about a DAW that can handle full mix automation/editing and supports large format controllers, large setups with multiple (labeled) inputs, unlimited sends and headphone mixing possibilities with as low a latency as possible, full video support, direct typing in for parameter values, locaters/markers, auto-punch w/pre roll, group edit tracks, track show/hide, snapshot automation, track freeze/unfreeze, mix versions, data import/export (channel settings, inserts, sequencer data, etc), network sharing, and probably a few more things I can’t think of this early with only 1/2 a coffee in my system!

At least for my work, Reason is better suited to a single user in a creative/home studio who needs to quickly sketch out ideas, or add instruments or creative effects to existing projects (with RRP). Reason falls short in my work for a few specific things, like having 32 inputs/outputs without being able to name them, fader automation that doesn’t read in dB or scale properly when editing, lack of auto punch, markers/locators, mix versions, direct data entry (come on!), group track editing, track show/hide, and since using LUNA I’m hooked on integrated tape/summing/console emulations.

Now pretty much none of these things except for (maybe auto punch and locators) applies to the idea stage, but none of them would necessarily get in my way either.
Or would they?
Could it be that all of these ‘big studio’ features, if added to Reason, would somehow take away from my feelings about the ability to start ideas and be creative?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2023

gbuck wrote:
26 May 2023
… I've searched the great web and cannot find a comparison video that actually shows how the other DAW's are better. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
It’s right there with the video showing how long is a piece of string, what is the best color ever, and five things the big producers don’t want you to know (#3 is shocking!).

The phrases that come to mind here are: “horses for courses”, “to each their own”, and “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information