SuperBooth 2023 Confession - Reason is for starting an idea

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Popey
Competition Winner

23 May 2023

I have no issue with what Matthias said, however i keep reading Idea starter and thinking of a particular song.

I'm the stab sound starter, plucking instigator
I'm the mod addicted, cables illustrated
I'm Idea Starter, twisted Idea Starter
You're Idea Starter , twisted Idea Starter

I'm the DAW you hated, filth infatuated
Yeah! I'm the bass you tasted, fell intoxicated

I'm the scream inflicted, matrix detonator
I was once infected, twisted animator

Loque

23 May 2023

Popey wrote:
23 May 2023
I have no issue with what Matthias said, however i keep reading Idea starter and thinking of a particular song.

I'm the stab sound starter, plucking instigator
I'm the mod addicted, cables illustrated

I'm the DAW you hated, filth infatuated
Yeah! I'm the bass you tasted, fell intoxicated

I'm the scream inflicted, matrix detonator
I was once infected, twisted animator
:clap: :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

23 May 2023

Billy+ wrote:
23 May 2023
not sure what the meme is but hey seams to be the thing to do here.
It's Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Pretty much sums up my feelings, is all.
Billy+ wrote:
23 May 2023
as for the players they great I used them lots but i like some of the more advanced features that are only available in vst devices and would like to be able to use them with RE's in a simple manner which Live gives me and Reason doesn't...
That's cool. Must have been a very important ranking feature request for you to jump ship to Live. Mine was literally just frustration with Reason's performance on my old PC at the time (which, as I said, has been addressed).
iTrensharo wrote:
23 May 2023
Always have run into that unfortunate situation where I cannot block a troll.
We've got a block feature in your account - should be able to turn it on. I think it's called "friend/foe". That said, who was trolling you?
DaveyG wrote:
23 May 2023
It's a bit rude calling them trolls. Around here we call them moderators.
Hey now - that's just hurtful.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

WaxTrax

23 May 2023

Popey wrote:
23 May 2023
Hey! Hey! Hey! :lol:

EnochLight

23 May 2023

WaxTrax wrote:
23 May 2023
Popey wrote:
23 May 2023
Hey! Hey! Hey! :lol:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

23 May 2023

EnochLight wrote:
23 May 2023

That's cool. Must have been a very important ranking feature request for you to jump ship to Live. Mine was literally just frustration with Reason's performance on my old PC at the time (which, as I said, has been addressed).
it was / is to me the biggest missing feature of Reason since the introduction of vst support.

i have hoped and waited for its inclusion since then and as every year has passed that its not be implemented i have continued to feel like i should probably just try another DAW the one thing that stopped me was i wanted Reason devices as well.

RRP and the continued reluctance for midi vst to be implemented along with the way R12 way released gave me the incentive to buy Live and i definitely don't regret it.

crimsonwarlock

23 May 2023

iTrensharo wrote:
23 May 2023
... apart from differences in UX Design and Organization there really isn't a difference between Reason and its rack extensions resp. any other DAW and a collection of plug-ins and virtual instruments.
Ever tried to patch some functionality in one VST directly to some functionality in another VST :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 May 2023

Billy+ wrote:
23 May 2023
it was / is to me the biggest missing feature of Reason since the introduction of vst support.

i have hoped and waited for its inclusion since then and as every year has passed that its not be implemented i have continued to feel like i should probably just try another DAW the one thing that stopped me was i wanted Reason devices as well.

RRP and the continued reluctance for midi vst to be implemented along with the way R12 way released gave me the incentive to buy Live and i definitely don't regret it.
Sometimes it's like that.

A little frustration can make a person jump ship

Rompla

24 May 2023

visheshl wrote:
22 May 2023
The way i see it, RRP solves a lot of problems.
I always saw reason as a rack of devices first and foremost. It also had a sequencer was the icing on the cake.
Thats why there was a need for rewire all those years ago.
And now we have RRP.
Use your favourite DAW suitable to your workflow and requirements along with a rack full of instruments, fx, players etc...

My sentiments exactly
Reason is now the most super charged VST available nothing else comes close
So many propelling know just love the players and the ease of use of the new and old instruments

Goriila Texas

24 May 2023

To each his own I guess but I hate almost everything in Reason the workflow and the sequencer. For the things I do like I use RRP, if it wasn't a RRP RS wouldn't still be getting my money period. I get annoyed real quick when I launch Reason and try to work in it.

I don't knock what gear people use because the magic comes from the user not the instruments/DAW.

+
selig wrote:
23 May 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
21 May 2023
The writing has been on the wall for years RS is going back to focusing on being an instrument in a DAW instead of improving as a DAW. They end game is to create so many unique instruments that competes with Native Instruments Komplete price point $599. RRP is the future.
I have to wonder though, if I’m looking for an “idea starter” I don’t want a plugin or even a collection of instruments (either Reason OR Komplete). I want a stand alone application (like Reason) that has everything I need to get ideas off the ground and on their way to sounding finished. An “instrument in a DAW” can be an inspiration for a song, but for me no one instrument or collection of instruments is the end all idea starter over the long haul.

For example, the plugin doesn’t have the same appeal as Reason as an idea starter because you don’t have total modularity. From day one, at least for me, this has been a huge draw to Reason. I find the ability to build songs with elements that so easily interact to be a major inspiration. And while I used to hold out hope that Reason, with only a little more progress, COULD have been the end all music making app, I’ve not held too tightly to that idea (especially recently, since moving to LUNA for mixing).

All I can say is I felt it would be FAR easier to take an app with the creative inspiration foundation such as Reason and add the technical aspects to make it ‘complete’ would be easier than taking any of the “proper” DAWs and somehow adding that “fun factor” and inspirational quality that is so difficult to put into words.

That said, IMO there are multiple world class “idea finishers” out there from Pro Tools on down. But IMO there are fewer “idea starters” and that’s where Reason shines for my creative endeavors.

(Side note, I’ve used Reason as a ‘proper DAW’ to mix several projects over the years for major artists that ‘assumed’ I was still using Pro Tools, and no one ever complained about the results. All to say, I’m certainly ABLE to make it work as a ‘proper DAW’ in some cases, but it’s far from as fluid and direct as most other options in that respect).

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 May 2023

Eddi-16 wrote:
25 May 2023
In my opinion this the same kind of indistinct marketing that makes long time users outraged since years and spread mistrust in the DAW. Why not make a clear, future driven and motivated statement for the whole software? As likeable as the reason studios people are, but come one, Reason has this great SSL Studiuo Mixer simulation and a "good" sequencer that needs just a some new improvements (folders, launcher, markers) to competete again. Reason is not only for "starting ideas". You can mix a whole album with Reason. I mean, they uploaded a lot of mixing and mastering tutorials on their own youtube channel!

No good marketing, again. I think that they really just don't understand what they already have with the Reason DAW. I just can't take it anymore. This trust-dissolving and anti-progressive behavior in terms of DAW inprovements is like a never ending drama.

:?
I'll try to make it clearer again.

We do spend more time developing things that have to do with making music and getting music started, always have and probably always will. The question was "Who shouldn't buy your product?" and my answer was roughly "Engineers working on other people's music or working in post-production". None of that contradicts what you're saying. You can absolutely mix a whole album in Reason, we have both mixing and mastering tools that are more than enough to get good results, but Reason is not a product tailored for mastering engineers or post-production.

joeyluck

25 May 2023

Avid is looking to sell. https://www.reuters.com/technology/spac ... 023-05-24/

Maybe Reason Studios could buy them and then say, "We are first a fun rack and unique DAW which is great place for creativity and inspiration. We also have a very boring DAW as an optional download that you can put on your computer to keep up appearances."

guitfnky

25 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
25 May 2023

Maybe Reason Studios could buy them and then say, "We are first a fun rack and unique DAW which is great place for creativity and inspiration. We also have a very boring DAW as an optional download that you can put on your computer to keep up appearances."
:lol: nice one!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

25 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
25 May 2023

Power move. Joey is cooking.

EnochLight

25 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
25 May 2023
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap: :clap:

Jagwah

25 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
25 May 2023

Good find Joey!

Perhaps we can have a whip-round to encourage them! :thumbup:
MattiasHG wrote:
25 May 2023
I'll try to make it clearer again.

We do spend more time developing things that have to do with making music and getting music started, always have and probably always will. The question was "Who shouldn't buy your product?" and my answer was roughly "Engineers working on other people's music or working in post-production". None of that contradicts what you're saying. You can absolutely mix a whole album in Reason, we have both mixing and mastering tools that are more than enough to get good results, but Reason is not a product tailored for mastering engineers or post-production.
It's cool just give us some nice sequencer upgrades soon then most of us will be very happy and well behaved and a pleasure to be around : D

HeavyViper

26 May 2023

I started using Reason around version 7, after loving a few classes in uni where they were using Completely Legal copies of 5. :P It's been my longest running "main" DAW, and I've done a fair amount of work in it, both personal and professional.

Lately, I've started teaching myself alternatives. Renoise, FLStudio, Bitwig. Along with other specialty programs, like GoldWave, RX etc. The longer I go at this, the more obvious it seems that diversifying your skills and equipment is where it's at. It took a while for the idea to sink in, but it really hit home when I saw a contemporary artist's workflow. They use a wide variety of programs and gear - OpenMPT, an old version of Sony Acid, pedals, synths, mixer feedback, field recorders...just an immense amount of stuff. They're not tied down to one platform, and I think that's the way to go, even with DAWs.

Every DAW I've used has left me wanting for something. No DAW does it all, and I'd venture to say no DAW should. An "everything" DAW sounds nice, but it's also a single point of failure. Around Reason 9 or 10 I started wondering, "What would I do if Reason disappeared tomorrow? Where would that leave me?" Nowhere good was the answer! So I hedged my bets, picked up new programs, alternative plug-ins, and taught myself more.

Reason focusing on instruments and the Rack is probably the best call they can make. One look at how capable the piano roll in FLStudio is, or how at home I feel in Renoise's tracker interface, and there's no contest. That said, I still find right at home with Reason's instruments, effects, and Rack environment for sound design and the more creative side of things (not to mention the huge stockpile of ReFills I have kicking around!). Reason will always be part of my workflow as long as it's around, but it is no longer "the" workflow. Regardless, I still look forward to how it'll change over time.

Just don't make me pay for a subscription, or I'll have to diversify even harder. ;P
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

• Information