To Screw or Not to Screw…

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
crimsonwarlock

20 May 2023

SebAudio wrote:
20 May 2023
In that respect, VCV is quite better and good at handling large projects. Too bad RS doesn’t provide RE devs multiple sizes.
REs can have different sizes in height, only the width is locked. Pretty much the same with VCV where the width can vary, but the height is locked.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

20 May 2023

I have a dedicated screen (on the right) for the rack. Hitting a track in the sequencer or the rack button on a mixer channel automatically moves the corresponding rack area into view. It is like working with an actual rack besides your console.

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

20 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 May 2023
I have a dedicated screen (on the right) for the rack. Hitting a track in the sequencer or the rack button on a mixer channel automatically moves the corresponding rack area into view. It is like working with an actual rack besides your console.

I bought a touch screen after i i saw your setup for the first time 😉 thanks for the idea.

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2023

arnigretar wrote:
20 May 2023
I'm also one of those that wish we would have virtual midi cables at the back or on the front. And if you would want you could hide them (like they are now). This is of great teaching value - since I teach electronic music - this would help a lot. Midi in-midi thru-midi out
I honestly don’t understand why MIDI cables, ubiquitous in hardware for decades, were not a part of the original design. It would have made SO much logical sense, and opened the door to player type devices LONG ago. Plus, a MIDI Splitter/Merger would have fit right into the Reason rack concept!

I also have wished for a non real-world connector that would have opened up Reason as a poly-modular environment: Poly Voice Cables (PVC). Imagine putting Thor, Malstrom, and Europa in a Combinator and connecting poly out of Malstrom’s oscillators into Thor’s filters using Europa’s Envelopes and LFOs. And doing it all polyphonically (at the voice level). I have dreamed about this forever, and even held out hope the ‘reserved space’ on RE could support this feature. A pop-out on the back panel COULD still support this feature, fwiw…
Selig Audio, LLC

bxbrkrz

20 May 2023

arnigretar wrote:
20 May 2023
bxbrkrz wrote:
19 May 2023
Screwing things up.
When they started mixing up flat and 3D within each other was when the immersion was breaking apart for me. It's a visual confusion. I believe this 'liberty' started with the screws debacle. You break your own rules. Then anything goes. Tintin fighting with Dracula and Spiderman. “Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!”
This. That's why I'm glad I have PX7. But this will be maybe broken from time to time and again and again until the rack is Ableton Live.
Sadly yes. Patching cables yourself could go away next. It's a boiling frog situation.
[off topic: we can select colors on the sequencer, but not the colors of the patch cables]

A proud PX7 Club member myself :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

arnigretar

20 May 2023

selig wrote:
20 May 2023
arnigretar wrote:
20 May 2023
I'm also one of those that wish we would have virtual midi cables at the back or on the front. And if you would want you could hide them (like they are now). This is of great teaching value - since I teach electronic music - this would help a lot. Midi in-midi thru-midi out
I honestly don’t understand why MIDI cables, ubiquitous in hardware for decades, were not a part of the original design. It would have made SO much logical sense, and opened the door to player type devices LONG ago. Plus, a MIDI Splitter/Merger would have fit right into the Reason rack concept!

I also have wished for a non real-world connector that would have opened up Reason as a poly-modular environment: Poly Voice Cables (PVC). Imagine putting Thor, Malstrom, and Europa in a Combinator and connecting poly out of Malstrom’s oscillators into Thor’s filters using Europa’s Envelopes and LFOs. And doing it all polyphonically (at the voice level). I have dreamed about this forever, and even held out hope the ‘reserved space’ on RE could support this feature. A pop-out on the back panel COULD still support this feature, fwiw…
I hope our Reason Jedi Master dear Matthias is reading those notes from selig :) Hopefully because they don't have a future "Reason 13" - only making Reason 12 the perfect one - they will continue in making the rack (our virtual rack) the greatest rack of all time (both audio wise and visual). Maybe tiny touches here and there (visually) - and maybe Matthias can answer if Midi cables (hide/show feature) is something possible in the future.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

arnigretar

20 May 2023

bxbrkrz wrote:
20 May 2023

[off topic: we can select colors on the sequencer, but not the colors of the patch cables]

A proud PX7 Club member myself :thumbs_up:
Patch cables colors, sweet idea :) and yes - PX7 is a beauty for FM in Reason.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

AntiPattern

22 May 2023

I'm more bothered by the fact, that you can unscrew Subtractor and it don't fall off.

drno
RE Developer

22 May 2023

AntiPattern wrote:
22 May 2023
I'm more bothered by the fact, that you can unscrew Subtractor and it don't fall off.
is supported by the rear wires?

DaveyG

22 May 2023

AntiPattern wrote:
22 May 2023
That's how they first learned about the magic rack, and it's also why they don' t feel the need to use screws on some of the newer stuff.

selig
RE Developer

22 May 2023

DaveyG wrote:
22 May 2023
AntiPattern wrote:
22 May 2023
That's how they first learned about the magic rack, and it's also why they don' t feel the need to use screws on some of the newer stuff.
HA! Was going to say something similar but you beat me to it (and said it better anyway). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 May 2023

drno wrote:
22 May 2023
AntiPattern wrote:
22 May 2023
is supported by the rear wires?
It would have been awesome if the quality degraded when you removed the screws!

jam-s

22 May 2023

visheshl wrote:
20 May 2023
The only drawback is multiple rrp instances cant talk to each other like reason standalone.
I think patchbays could enable this.
Where multiple rrp instances can send data and recieve data via one seperate global standalone patchbay thing.
Then basically you'd have the advantages of reason standalone. Which is anything in the project can connect to anything.
And also have a manageable and neatly organized project with seperate racks in seperate tracks.
In fact reason standalone itself can have the concept of seperate racks in seperate windows per sound if the standalone users are finding the racks getting too cluttered and unmanageable.
You have a (little) patch bay right now when you use the additional audio in/outs of the RRP. But extending this with a dedicated intra-RRP patchbay area including CV sockets would be really useful.

EnochLight

22 May 2023

AntiPattern wrote:
22 May 2023
Back in Reason 1.0, we could click on the Matrix label and get a neat little animation:

matrix_egg.gif
matrix_egg.gif (102.94 KiB) Viewed 9908 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

SebAudio

03 Jul 2023

SebAudio wrote:
18 May 2023
:(
joeyluck wrote:
17 May 2023
Objekt-mounted.png
It looks much better with rack rails ! Even without the screws. I wonder why they went with the « void » option
I'm trailing Objekt atm and wow ! But still I'm annoyed by the lack of rack rails : it's just impossible that somebody would cut them in his/her rack when placing a new item ! I think it doesn't need visible screws : one can imagine a king of hooks at the rear of the upper part of the device. But please, rails :lol:

challism

03 Jul 2023

SebAudio wrote:
03 Jul 2023
SebAudio wrote:
18 May 2023
:(

It looks much better with rack rails ! Even without the screws. I wonder why they went with the « void » option
I'm trailing Objekt atm and wow ! But still I'm annoyed by the lack of rack rails : it's just impossible that somebody would cut them in his/her rack when placing a new item ! I think it doesn't need visible screws : one can imagine a king of hooks at the rear of the upper part of the device. But please, rails :lol:
I just fond this page in the manual. Perhaps you missed It. But it seems as though Reason Studios has thought of everything.
manual.png
manual.png (218.9 KiB) Viewed 9788 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Steedus
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2023

I pointed out to them that the rear rack rails for Malstrom, and the 2 Layers REs were missing when they went to HiRes, but they never fixed them. Just don't think it matters too much to them.

I also pointed out the the new front of The Echo in HiRes changed to have full height Rack ears (whereas the old one had half height rack ears). But when you flip around the HiRes has the Half height ears on the rear .. go figure :wtf:

Meanwhile (and I know this was Ekss' work so it's not surprising) we got other HiRes updates with so much attention to detail like adding the moving fan to Redrum. I was hoping the move to HiRes, they would take the opportunity to standardise all the little quirks ion the Rack paradigm. Oh well.

turn2on
RE Developer

04 Jul 2023

As I remember about easter eggs, in one of the early versions of Reason (may be up to v5), DrRex also have easter egg on the display.

orthodox
RE Developer

04 Nov 2023

To zip-tie it.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2023

orthodox wrote:
04 Nov 2023
To zip-tie it.

Now this is super cool 🙌

SebAudio

17 Mar 2024

challism wrote:
03 Jul 2023
SebAudio wrote:
03 Jul 2023

I just fond this page in the manual. Perhaps you missed It. But it seems as though Reason Studios has thought of everything.

manual.png
Don’t own Objekt and already trialed it so I can’t check but with the new web site, Objekt is represented with rails behind it. Has it changed ?

challism

17 Mar 2024

SebAudio wrote:
17 Mar 2024
challism wrote:
03 Jul 2023

manual.png
Don’t own Objekt and already trialed it so I can’t check but with the new web site, Objekt is represented with rails behind it. Has it changed ?
:lol: :lol: Don't be silly. Reason doesn't change or update their devices! :lol: :lol:
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2024

I REALLY miss the old Reason skeuomorphism.

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2024

orthodox wrote:
04 Nov 2023
To zip-tie it.

Nothing on the rear though! Sorry I'm a stickler for the small details :redface:

• Information