strange situation with save & optimized project

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

19 May 2023

so i'm running R11 and pulled in 3 audio tracks for samples,

after i chopped the samples out then bounced to new recordings i did a save & optimize but my project is 350+mb even though the full 3 audio track are only 160mb.

i checked the new recordings and all the data has been removed either side of the chopped samples, which has left me puzzled as to the large file size especially as the samples are a few seconds from whole tracks?

any clues / suggestions.

stillifegaijin

19 May 2023

after you bounced to new recording did you "delete unused recordings?"

Billy+

19 May 2023

stillifegaijin wrote:
19 May 2023
after you bounced to new recording did you "delete unused recordings?"
yes & ive only got 1 id8 re with minimal midi track just for checking the timing.

EnochLight

20 May 2023

Billy+ wrote:
19 May 2023
so i'm running R11 and pulled in 3 audio tracks for samples,

after i chopped the samples out then bounced to new recordings i did a save & optimize but my project is 350+mb even though the full 3 audio track are only 160mb.

i checked the new recordings and all the data has been removed either side of the chopped samples, which has left me puzzled as to the large file size especially as the samples are a few seconds from whole tracks?

any clues / suggestions.
Here’s Chat GPT’s response… :lol:
It's possible that the larger file size is due to Reason's project file format, which may include additional data such as automation, settings, effects, and other project-specific information. Even though your audio tracks themselves are only 160MB, the project file might include additional metadata and information that increases the overall size.

To help reduce the project file size, you can try a few things:

1. Delete any unused or unnecessary tracks, devices, or clips from your project.
2. Check if there are any redundant or duplicated data within your project that can be removed.
3. Consider using compressed audio formats (if applicable) for your samples, which can help reduce file sizes without significant loss of quality.
4. If you're using any virtual instruments or plugins, check if they have any unused data or temporary files that can be cleared.

Additionally, you can reach out to Reason's support or user community for further assistance, as they may have specific tips or insights for optimizing project file sizes in Reason 11.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Pepin

20 May 2023

Were the tracks you imported compressed? (MP3, AAC)
Those will balloon in size once they're imported.

Billy+

20 May 2023

Pepin wrote:
20 May 2023
Were the tracks you imported compressed? (MP3, AAC)
Those will balloon in size once they're imported.
no all wav files....

• Information