TAL Vocoder - how to use?

Discuss VST stuff here!
huggermugger

17 May 2023

The OPTIONAL AUDIO IN is where you patch the extra signal (the sidechain). TAL Vocoder lets you decide whether the regular input or the sidechain input is the Carrier or the Modulator. Set this up in the INPUT MODE section of the Vocoder.

If you want to use TAL's own synth as the Carrier, set the INPUT MODE to one of the MIDI options (MIDI = the internal synth), then choose between the SC input or AUDIO input for the Modulator. If you want to use a different synth as the Carrier, set the INPUT mode to one of the other two options.

In this setup, I'm using a Dr Rex drumloop as the Modulator, and a pad from Thor as the Carrier. I recorded a sustained chord in Thor. it works nicely.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 10.39.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 10.39.41 AM.png (986.95 KiB) Viewed 520 times

stillifegaijin

17 May 2023

You can also just drop the TAL Vocoder onto an audio track, usually a vocal but no rules, then right click on the VST and select "Create Track for TAL Vocoder" then right click again on the track in the sequencer and select "New Note Lane". Then any midi notes you play/record on that note lane will trigger the internal TAL carrier and effect the audio passing through. This variation is super simple and requires no additional devices or routing.

joeyluck

17 May 2023

huggermugger wrote:
17 May 2023
The OPTIONAL AUDIO IN is where you patch the extra signal (the sidechain). TAL Vocoder lets you decide whether the regular input or the sidechain input is the Carrier or the Modulator. Set this up in the INPUT MODE section of the Vocoder.

If you want to use TAL's own synth as the Carrier, set the INPUT MODE to one of the MIDI options (MIDI = the internal synth), then choose between the SC input or AUDIO input for the Modulator. If you want to use a different synth as the Carrier, set the INPUT mode to one of the other two options.

In this setup, I'm using a Dr Rex drumloop as the Modulator, and a pad from Thor as the Carrier. I recorded a sustained chord in Thor. it works nicely.
In Reason 12, the sidehain input is no longer hidden. It's right there on the main panel—easy access!! :)

R12 sidechain.png
R12 sidechain.png (119.13 KiB) Viewed 490 times

huggermugger

17 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
17 May 2023

In Reason 12, the sidehain input is no longer hidden. It's right there on the main panel—easy access!! :)

R12 sidechain.png
I'm using R12.2, so that must be from a recent update. Nice!

joeyluck

17 May 2023

huggermugger wrote:
17 May 2023
joeyluck wrote:
17 May 2023

R12 sidechain.png
I'm using R12.2, so that must be from a recent update. Nice!
Yeah it was introduced with 12.5 and VST3 support. There was also device filters (filtering by plugin type) added to the browser with 12.5.2 and lots of other fixes in the several updates since. Lots of stuff pertaining to VST3. I'm guessing you don't have many VST3 plugins that you're in a hurry to use?

• Information