(Prodigy covers) Roma

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 05 May 2023

This is my Prodigy (piano, 808, etc.) cover. Without any sound design. Just composition, rhythm and arrangement. I used help from Youtube videos but added something by my own. I believe that you don't need samples in general to make music in that style. That's why I have done it - I am learning. Just for the Prodigy fans.

Last edited by Superology on 05 May 2023, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
moalla
Posts: 544
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: DDR WEST

Post 05 May 2023

Prodigy unplugged ;) nice idea, good swing flow, flutes instead of voices hmm with natural flutes that´s a neat big sounding adaptation.
Brings me to it, to trigger my transverse flutist friend to become more punky and be part of the acid rock machinejams with his RC505
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 05 May 2023

moalla wrote:
05 May 2023
Prodigy unplugged ;) nice idea, good swing flow, flutes instead of voices hmm with natural flutes that´s a neat big sounding adaptation.
Brings me to it, to trigger my transverse flutist friend to become more punky and be part of the acid rock machinejams with his RC505
Thank you! No, flutes are just for the educational goals.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 10 May 2023

The power of the track can be heard even on this simple, in sound design terms, cover. This song is too complicated in my opinion. And it's like some jazz or idk:

Popey
Competition Winner
Posts: 2110
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 10 May 2023

Sounds like you got the essence of the track from what I recall.

Did you use the MIDI from the original?

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 10 May 2023

Popey wrote:
10 May 2023
Sounds like you got the essence of the track from what I recall.

Did you use the MIDI from the original?
Thank you! I used help of Youtube video. But there is so much more to work on, besides what is seen and heard on Youtube video.

User avatar
mimidancer
Posts: 677
Joined: 30 Sep 2021

Post 12 May 2023

At first listen it sounds to on grid to me. SO I googled the original. This is a big-beat song. So the drums need to be pushed forward. Also for this type of sound, I would recommend making your beats by finger drumming or hitting keys. A good rack device for this is Reason drum kits. Part of the big beat sound is the room the drums sit in and the compression of the room mics. After you have made your beats then sample them. I’d then put all your beats into a kong and then trigger the loops live as you record them. This will add to that big beat flavor. You did a great job picking out the notes. Now trust yourself to play them. And don’t over-quantize. I’m not saying never quantize but you should always play it again before you trust the grid to fix your playing. The grid does not understand the pocket. Please post updates as you perfect this track. Thanks for sharing.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 12 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
12 May 2023
At first listen it sounds to on grid to me. SO I googled the original. This is a big-beat song. So the drums need to be pushed forward. Also for this type of sound, I would recommend making your beats by finger drumming or hitting keys. A good rack device for this is Reason drum kits. Part of the big beat sound is the room the drums sit in and the compression of the room mics. After you have made your beats then sample them. I’d then put all your beats into a kong and then trigger the loops live as you record them. This will add to that big beat flavor. You did a great job picking out the notes. Now trust yourself to play them. And don’t over-quantize. I’m not saying never quantize but you should always play it again before you trust the grid to fix your playing. The grid does not understand the pocket. Please post updates as you perfect this track. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! I know this technique with live touch on performance. But you can do it yourself if you want. This wasn't my goal to make a perfect piano cover etc.. I was aiming to move this covering the prodigy movement a little bit further and I of course learned a lot. I reccomend to all the Prodigy fans try it too. To do it better than me. This is like a music theory behind sampled craziness. It's not just sounds arranged and mixed the same way as Liam did. It's something underlying, it's a basic understanding of the Prodigy music. And I am excited now, because I didn't expect I will enjoy this process so much. Sorry for my English.

User avatar
mimidancer
Posts: 677
Joined: 30 Sep 2021

Post 12 May 2023

Superology wrote:
12 May 2023
mimidancer wrote:
12 May 2023
At first listen it sounds to on grid to me. SO I googled the original. This is a big-beat song. So the drums need to be pushed forward. Also for this type of sound, I would recommend making your beats by finger drumming or hitting keys. A good rack device for this is Reason drum kits. Part of the big beat sound is the room the drums sit in and the compression of the room mics. After you have made your beats then sample them. I’d then put all your beats into a kong and then trigger the loops live as you record them. This will add to that big beat flavor. You did a great job picking out the notes. Now trust yourself to play them. And don’t over-quantize. I’m not saying never quantize but you should always play it again before you trust the grid to fix your playing. The grid does not understand the pocket. Please post updates as you perfect this track. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! I know this technique with live touch on performance. But you can do it yourself if you want. This wasn't my goal to make a perfect piano cover etc.. I was aiming to move this covering the prodigy movement a little bit further and I of course learned a lot. I reccomend to all the Prodigy fans try it too. To do it better than me. This is like a music theory behind sampled craziness. It's not just sounds arranged and mixed the same way as Liam did. It's something underlying, it's a basic understanding of the Prodigy music. And I am excited now, because I didn't expect I will enjoy this process so much. Sorry for my English.
Your English is fine. English is not my first language either. though I was born in the US. I feel like you have the parts sorted. I look forward to hearing what you do with the piece. I totally respect your wanting to go to a new place. I remember learning section from danse macabre by camille saint-saëns for a winter percussion show. I drove the director insane because he wanted it too slow. I wanted manic. eventually, I won. My point is you, do you. Be well.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 13 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
12 May 2023
Superology wrote:
12 May 2023


Thank you! I know this technique with live touch on performance. But you can do it yourself if you want. This wasn't my goal to make a perfect piano cover etc.. I was aiming to move this covering the prodigy movement a little bit further and I of course learned a lot. I reccomend to all the Prodigy fans try it too. To do it better than me. This is like a music theory behind sampled craziness. It's not just sounds arranged and mixed the same way as Liam did. It's something underlying, it's a basic understanding of the Prodigy music. And I am excited now, because I didn't expect I will enjoy this process so much. Sorry for my English.
My point is you, do you. Be well.
I don't understand what you are talking about. Sorry.

User avatar
mimidancer
Posts: 677
Joined: 30 Sep 2021

Post 13 May 2023

Superology wrote:
13 May 2023
mimidancer wrote:
12 May 2023


My point is you, do you. Be well.
I don't understand what you are talking about. Sorry.
I mean that you seem to have a clear vision of what you want the track to become. And I am encouraging you to proceed until you have achieved your goal.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 15 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2023
Superology wrote:
13 May 2023


I don't understand what you are talking about. Sorry.
I mean that you seem to have a clear vision of what you want the track to become. And I am encouraging you to proceed until you have achieved your goal.
Ah, ok! Thanks a lot.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 15 May 2023

First ever cover of this track by anyone. Rap was difficult and rap is wrong:

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 16 May 2023

Update! I was nervous about many mistakes while listening, so I decided to upload the better version. Hope you like it! :-)

Last edited by Superology on 16 May 2023, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 16 May 2023


User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 16 May 2023


User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 16 May 2023


User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 17 May 2023


User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 17 May 2023


User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 17 May 2023


User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 2549
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 23 May 2023

Superology wrote:
17 May 2023
Curious to know what you actually did, it sounds extremely midi filey.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 23 May 2023

My best Prodigy cover yet:

User avatar
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner
Posts: 4234
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 23 May 2023

Yes I think this is your best cover yet like you say.
Before hearing this version I've never thought about the fact that the bass line has a straight feel while the drums have a swingy feel to them. That's pretty cool.

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 23 May 2023

Sorry, it's not perfect like all the covers. But I think that the overall feel of the track is captured. And THAT is success. ;-)

User avatar
Superology
Posts: 215
Joined: 24 Nov 2022

Post 23 May 2023

Jagwah wrote:
23 May 2023
Superology wrote:
17 May 2023
Curious to know what you actually did, it sounds extremely midi filey.
Oh yeah? :-) :clap: :thumbup: :reason:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests