Elektron Style Player - Any Devs Interested?

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
Crumbfort

15 May 2023

Hiya!

Figured I'd post this question here. I'm NOT a programmer, but I think it would be really fun to work with a talented programmer to build an Elektron-style sequencer player of sorts to use in the Reason Rack.

Any devs have any interest? This would be a passion project for me (something I'd want to use myself in my own work) so if it were to be sold I wouldn't really be interested in taking any of the earnings.

I dunno! Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone was interested.

:thumbup:
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

deeplink
Competition Winner

16 May 2023

I'm not a Dev, but...

Are you sure you are thinking of just a 'player'?
Because there's not much difference between the sequencer of the Elektron and just the usual Drum Sequencer Player.

To me, the real benefit with Elektron is the per-note automation - where things such as sample selection, pitch, filter, effects, etc. can be configured per note.
Ideally this would actually take shape as a Sampler device, not as a player (you could include multiple CV outs, but I think this would be more of a ballache than anything else).

Note: I had the same idea and ended up making a combinator - but you can only sequence one drum track at a time (ref: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7527921)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

pongasoft
RE Developer

16 May 2023

What is Elektron?

Crumbfort

16 May 2023

deeplink wrote:
16 May 2023
I'm not a Dev, but...

Are you sure you are thinking of just a 'player'?
Because there's not much difference between the sequencer of the Elektron and just the usual Drum Sequencer Player.

To me, the real benefit with Elektron is the per-note automation - where things such as sample selection, pitch, filter, effects, etc. can be configured per note.
Ideally this would actually take shape as a Sampler device, not as a player (you could include multiple CV outs, but I think this would be more of a ballache than anything else).

Note: I had the same idea and ended up making a combinator - but you can only sequence one drum track at a time (ref: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7527921)
I'd say yes, what I'm looking for in particular here is the Elektron sequencing power regarding trigs/conditional trigs/trigless trigs/parameter locking/easy copy paste/control all/fills/etc...

Stepped sequencer mod lanes are vastly different than per step parameter locking for LOTS of parameters. It's like a super tracker workflow (without the macro overview). Hold down step/key, twist knob, modulate parameters of other rack instruments/effects/midi outputs.

This would PERFECTLY fit the bill, but it's Ableton only (Max):

https://opal.fors.fm/

I own Reaper/Reason/Bitwig/Logic/Studio One/Renoise and have zero desire to buy into the Ableton ecosystem for just one instrument, sadly.

EDIT: Another reference is the Malekko Voltage Block:

Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

Crumbfort

16 May 2023

Mataya wrote:
16 May 2023
What can't Kompulsion do that you would need?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompulsion/

M
Well, because Kompulsion has only one mod lane per track (aux), and it's a simple stepped sequence lane. I own it (and all Lectric Panda stuff) and it's amazing, just not for this purpose. You also have to jump around in "sub-menus" quite a bit to get across multiple outputs.

PhillipOrdonez

16 May 2023

Wait, can kompulsion do trig conditions?

Only player i know that can is sequences (and poly step) and i love it (them) for it. Plus there's a cv thing there i haven't explored but can definitely be used to do some stuff, unless the conditions don't apply for the cv? 🤔 I really got to dig into that cv thing with sequences 😅 definitely love the elektron workflow though, can't live without it!

Mataya

16 May 2023

Yeah, seqeunces is also very cool and with conditions, but somehow I always reach for Kompulsion first. Both are great. Sorry guy, I must say I do not need anything else then what I/we already have.
Hope someone will grant your wish.

tx
M

Crumbfort

16 May 2023

Mataya wrote:
16 May 2023
Yeah, seqeunces is also very cool and with conditions, but somehow I always reach for Kompulsion first. Both are great. Sorry guy, I must say I do not need anything else then what I/we already have.
Hope someone will grant your wish.

tx
M
Absolutely fair, and thanks!

Crumbfort

18 May 2023

Ahhh well, I think I may be one of the most niche/fringe/oddball Reason users out there, so I'll just let this thread die a slow death like all the others I've started, hah! :puf_bigsmile:

electrofux

26 May 2023

The only thing that imho remotely comes close to the Digitakt Sequencer ( or at least a channel) is Stepnote Recorder. Alas it only has one pattern, two modulation lanes and 32 Steps. It comes pretty close though if some stuff gets added via remote (like copy, paste, randomize etc and making 8 sequencers available on one surface).

To me an elektrontype device would lose much of its appeal if it wasnt remotable and currently a multipattern sequencer seems not to be possible when at the same time every step is being made remotable. As can be seen on Sequences which does have the same or even more functionality but it is not very remotable because it got patterns.

But aside from that a Drumsampler with integrated elektron style Sequencerlanes that are internally prewired to offer some of the per step automation (maybe via a matrix) would definitly be a thing- pretty big though i guess.

• Information