Lupin's Lullaby (Sketch with a sound made with Objekt))

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mimidancer

15 May 2023

Was messing around with Objekt and made this patch. This is just some noodling with a melody that I have been meaning to do something with. I am pretty sure I like the sound and can chape this basic structure of the song into something I will like. But do you guys like the patch? I likely over-excited the exciter. This is one pass playing one patch. I layered the Objekt with a single OSC from the Malström. I also modulated the f-bomb out of the index.

Chizmata

15 May 2023

i think this has great potential, it has a very deep sound and a mystical, flowing atmosphere. but to make it stand on its iown would really crank the the low end up a lot and maybe add some air.

mimidancer

15 May 2023

Chizmata wrote:
15 May 2023
i think this has great potential, it has a very deep sound and a mystical, flowing atmosphere. but to make it stand on its iown would really crank the the low end up a lot and maybe add some air.
I have the bass part in my head. But do you think the sound is okay? I have one more day off in my 4-day span. I might try and flush it out tomorrow. or later today if you will. I like the feel of the F moving to Fm7/G# and then to the Am. In music theory, they always said not to play the 3rd in the bass. But there are no horn players to complain so I guess I am good. I know all you here is the noodle and I am rambling. But thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Chizmata

15 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
15 May 2023
Chizmata wrote:
15 May 2023
I have the bass part in my head. But do you think the sound is okay? I have one more day off in my 4-day span. I might try and flush it out tomorrow. or later today if you will. I like the feel of the F moving to Fm7/G# and then to the Am. In music theory, they always said not to play the 3rd in the bass. But there are no horn players to complain so I guess I am good. I know all you here is the noodle and I am rambling. But thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
i am the wrong person to talk tonal progression with, i can barely handle a 1-4-5 :lol:. all i can say is that it sounds great to me. about the lower part: the way i hear it, you could add an extra bass part, but if it was mine i'd just make what's already there way louder because there is a lot of interesting lower content already. .

selig
RE Developer

15 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
15 May 2023
Chizmata wrote:
15 May 2023
I’m loving the harmonic explorations I’m hearing with your recent postings. I never heard the “don’t play the 3rd in the bass” rule before (or I heard it and dismissed it). Thousands of my favorite artists have broken this rule repeatedly and it’s one of my favorite ‘tricks’ I pull out when aiming to make things more harmonically interesting. IMO music theory is a “learn it then forget it” thing, but I WILL say that interval/ear training was extremely useful for me (just not the rest of western theory).
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

15 May 2023

selig wrote:
15 May 2023
mimidancer wrote:
15 May 2023

I’m loving the harmonic explorations I’m hearing with your recent postings. I never heard the “don’t play the 3rd in the bass” rule before (or I heard it and dismissed it). Thousands of my favorite artists have broken this rule repeatedly and it’s one of my favorite ‘tricks’ I pull out when aiming to make things more harmonically interesting. IMO music theory is a “learn it then forget it” thing, but I WILL say that interval/ear training was extremely useful for me (just not the rest of western theory).
I love the sound of moving to the minor third in general. I did it three times in that progression. When I stayed on the F in the bass on the third chord it did not create the tension I wanted. For me, understanding theory( or as Adam Neely would say the harmonic style of 18th-century European musicians) Helps me learn new pieces. It is also good for communicating ideas to others so long as they speak that language. I for sure do not embrace "the rules" as actual rules. I also enjoy noticing when they are broken. When I play with others I embrace a charlie parker attitude. Just try to play clean and look for the pretty notes. Thanks for listening.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

16 May 2023

Harmonic progressions are one of the most interesting (if not the most interesting and somewhat mysterious) things in music. I like to explore unusual harmonic passages, just as I love to resolve a tension in the most classical of ways. Regarding this particular piece, I really like the sweetness of the sound that contrasts with somewhat uneasy harmonic changes that make you stand on tiptoe. The sound design deserves an honourable mention: the instrument is delightful and holds the whole scene on its own. I must say that Objekt turned out to be a really powerful instrument. Is the Lupin of the title the one with the gunman friend and the ronin friend?

mimidancer

16 May 2023

Quarmat wrote:
16 May 2023
Harmonic progressions are one of the most interesting (if not the most interesting and somewhat mysterious) things in music. I like to explore unusual harmonic passages, just as I love to resolve a tension in the most classical of ways. Regarding this particular piece, I really like the sweetness of the sound that contrasts with somewhat uneasy harmonic changes that make you stand on tiptoe. The sound design deserves an honourable mention: the instrument is delightful and holds the whole scene on its own. I must say that Objekt turned out to be a really powerful instrument. Is the Lupin of the title the one with the gunman friend and the ronin friend?
Remus Lupin aka Moony was a defense against the dark arts teacher at Hogwarts. He left his teaching job after being outed as a werewolf. He died defending the School from some pretty nasty Death Eaters. His wife was killed by Death Eaters too. Quite sad.

Mattvank

18 May 2023

Objekt is the first Synth in Reason i do not try before the right moment. I ´m curios then the first Tracks with deeper unterstandment of Objekt been made.

mimidancer

18 May 2023

Mattvank wrote:
18 May 2023
Objekt is the first Synth in Reason i do not try before the right moment. I ´m curios then the first Tracks with deeper unterstandment of Objekt been made.
I like objekt. It is weird crafting sounds when one does not know the result of the action before tweeking and listening. It then becomes exploration. Very much like when I first started Eurorack. Now i have expectations when i make a connection. With objekt it is uncertainty. That is fun. Very much like a first kiss.

raymondh

19 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
15 May 2023
Was messing around with Objekt and made this patch. This is just some noodling with a melody that I have been meaning to do something with. I am pretty sure I like the sound and can chape this basic structure of the song into something I will like. But do you guys like the patch? I likely over-excited the exciter. This is one pass playing one patch. I layered the Objekt with a single OSC from the Malström. I also modulated the f-bomb out of the index.
This is captivating, very nice!

mimidancer

19 May 2023

raymondh wrote:
19 May 2023
mimidancer wrote:
15 May 2023
This is captivating, very nice!
thanks! I hope to play some this weekend been a busy week.

• Information