Chord samples can be uber useful ...

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
avasopht
Competition Winner

12 May 2023

So, I was just moving my guitar during my lunch break, and since it was still plugged in decided to give it a tinker.

It was a very simple riff, but I could feel a beat for it. Quickly laid it down.

Cool.

Added some bass.

Cool.

When it came to adding a little bit more percussion from the 4 different drum patches I had loaded, the chord samples were annoying because they were all one shot.

While changing them to ADSR, one sample just happened to be the same as what was being played on the track.

This particular patch has chords from different instruments, so what I ended up with is a nice sequence that has a lot more momentum. Plus all of the samples had a decent amount of modulation and had already been processed to sit really well in a mix.

And that's what I wanted to draw attention to. Even though the chord samples are literally just holding a single chord, they're modulated in a way they might not have been done if they had been played. They're modulated like they are a sample. They sound more like samples than someone merely holding down a key.

Creating a simple library of well-processed chords from various instruments could be a major workflow enhancer.

I've toyed with this a few times, and have been slowly going through the long process of bouncing the separates of 20 years of Reason projects, ... but extracting the chords would also be useful.
Last edited by avasopht on 12 May 2023, edited 1 time in total.

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 May 2023

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but I tried to start a Chord Sequencer community refill, with the idea of patches for individual songs

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7529193
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 May 2023

deeplink wrote:
12 May 2023
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but I tried to start a Chord Sequencer community refill, with the idea of patches for individual songs

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7529193
WRONG. That is exactly what I'm looking for!

Beautiful.

And with Objekt, ... ... ... can't wait for the next one ⌚

Loque

23 May 2023

Is this how chords were reused in samplers by transposing them and they become new chords? I remember mostly stabs and piano riffs in Techno and electronic music in the 90s.

Is it that what you are talking about?
Reason12, Win10

• Information