Logic Pro is coming to iPad

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Heater

09 May 2023

DaveyG

09 May 2023

A game changer indeed.

They are so confident in it that they have made it subscription only.

QVprod

09 May 2023

One of the few subscriptions that I think might be a good deal. If they bring over Mainstage, I’m sold!

dioxide

09 May 2023

Will this run RRP as an AU or is the iPad AU format different somehow?

QVprod

09 May 2023

dioxide wrote:
09 May 2023
Don’t think we’re quite there yet, but since everything is on M1, we must be relatively close

Heater

09 May 2023

dioxide wrote:
09 May 2023
No it won't. It will be Logic Pro native apps or AUv3.

Chi-Individual

09 May 2023

Are we now entering the era where the big players in the DAW space may consider full ports to mobile? I sure hope so. In my dream world RS would get back into the game but I’m not holding my breath. ☹️

dioxide

09 May 2023

A laptop is portable and can be had for less than an iPad these days. The only advantage I can think of is the multitouch which often isn't needed.

Heater

09 May 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
09 May 2023
Are we now entering the era where the big players in the DAW space may consider full ports to mobile? I sure hope so. In my dream world RS would get back into the game but I’m not holding my breath. ☹️
They now have a version that works natively on Mac M1 do some of the work has been done.

madmacman

09 May 2023

dioxide wrote:
09 May 2023
A laptop is portable and can be had for less than an iPad these days. The only advantage I can think of is the multitouch which often isn't needed.
This is just the starting point for Apple, Think 10 years in the future - then you‘ll have hybrid devices: as a tablet on the go, and as stationary computer with external monitor, keyboard, mouse at home.

dioxide

09 May 2023

madmacman wrote:
09 May 2023
dioxide wrote:
09 May 2023
This is just the starting point for Apple, Think 10 years in the future - then you‘ll have hybrid devices: as a tablet on the go, and as stationary computer with external monitor, keyboard, mouse at home.

I was thinking about 10 years in the future 13 years ago when I bought my first iPad. Apple have lots of patented concept drawings showing hybrid devices yet almost none of them have made it into production. Here's one from 15 years ago: https://appleinsider.com/articles/08/01 ... ng_station

madmacman

09 May 2023

dioxide wrote:
09 May 2023
I was thinking about 10 years in the future 13 years ago when I bought my first iPad. Apple have lots of patented concept drawings showing hybrid devices yet almost none of them have made it into production. Here's one from 15 years ago: https://appleinsider.com/articles/08/01 ... ng_station
Ah yes - I remember. But I think the "shell" concept is dead. Probably too many mechanical issues and compromises. My dream (I'll never see come true in my lifetime for sure) is a complete computer (CPU, logic, memory, storage) in credit card size. And different shells for different purposes: smartphone, tablet, computer, etc.

But with an iPad Pro & docking station (I have one with integrated SSD), you already come close.

kuhliloach

09 May 2023

I do not subscribe to software. So, as a user of Logic Pro on Mac I will not be subscribing to Logic Pro on the iPad. I find GarageBand on iOS to be more than enough for mobile purposes and Logic Remote is cool for Control Room purposes.

gullum

09 May 2023

to get good sound you would need to hook up your iPad to some monitors, this cool though but I'm sure I be making more music on my mac mini and midi keyboard and soon would not be subscribing anymore to the iPad app. and also needs a new ipad that cost way more than an mac mini m2 pro factor in the sub it's fast gets more expensive than most mac's

MuttReason

09 May 2023

I think I’ve tried pretty much every iPad DAW app and groovebox app around, and for a good few years now. And TBH I’ve given up using most of them because IMO the iPad touchscreen isn’t anywhere near as good as mouse and keyboard for detailed audio and MIDI editing. I found a similar issue with my MPC Live 2 which is also touchscreen based… zooming in on a waveform or group of MIDI notes and trying to do basic move/copy/paste actions is just SO much harder with fingertips vs a mouse.

The apps that work best are really simple and/or copy the workflow not of a DAW on a computer but of a hardware setup (e.g. Drambo is essentially the Elektron sequencer workflow within an iPad app).

It’s interesting that Apple have begun to converge iPadOS and Mac OSX apps in this way, but I could see how using this new Logic Pro app could be frustrating if you try to replicate what you’d do with Logic on a Mac. Some functions will be great on touchscreen (mixer faders, EQ curves, step sequencers etc) but the fiddly micro detail stuff? Not convinced. Perhaps using an Apple Pencil will be the way ahead although that could also be slower than using a mouse.

It’s also an interesting commercial direction. This is way more complicated than an accessible non-expert groovebox app but I can’t believe there will be many people who write/produce in Logic Pro who’d use this over the Mac version. A recent iPad powerful enough to run this costs about the same as a MacBook M1, and Mac OSX supports a bunch of stuff that matters in music production (like super low latency Thunderbolt audio interfaces, multi-output audio etc) that iPad cannot support.

Faastwalker

12 May 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
09 May 2023
In my dream world RS would get back into the game but I’m not holding my breath. ☹️
Same. I was hoping Reason Compact was going to develop into Reason Mobile.

However ...................
MuttReason wrote:
09 May 2023
I’ve given up using most of them because IMO the iPad touchscreen isn’t anywhere near as good as mouse and keyboard for detailed audio and MIDI editing.
I found the same. It's not as intuitive or usable as you might expect. Touch screen works great for some things, much less so for others. Plus there's the issue of finger grease! I spend half my time cleaning the damn thing. To the point where these days I try to avoid touching the screen altogether, except with the Apple Pencil. You see some iPad users that DON'T pay much attention to to this - their iPads look like they have been smeared with margarine!! :sick:
The apps that work best are really simple and/or copy the workflow not of a DAW on a computer but of a hardware setup (e.g. Drambo is essentially the Elektron sequencer workflow within an iPad app).
I agree with this. And Apps designed to take advantage of the benefits of the touch screen (less for the problems I mentioned previously) work best. But I find precise editing, moving and placing with a touch screen very cumbersome and fiddly. So for example editing notes on a sequencer/piano roll. If the App works the same as the desktop software then it tends not to work so well with a touch screen. It all looks very easy and user friendly in the Logic Pro iPad video they put out. But I'm skeptical it will actually work this well in use.

• Information