Knob shadows

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
Murf
RE Developer

07 May 2023

Hi all, I have always assumed knob shadows need to be in the filmstrips or baked into the background.
Loque seems to think it could be a setting.

"I still think the shadows are just a setting or it is still be possible to add them. All device rotary's shadows changed direction when HD graphics arrived.
Maybe ask in the dev forum for more info..."

Thoughts?!
Murf.

selig
RE Developer

07 May 2023

Shadows have always been a part of the film strip. Originally they would be generated automatically (By RED) depending on the size and height of a control. When 2D workflows were allowed you must generate them yourselves using apps like KnobMan.
Selig Audio, LLC

pongasoft
RE Developer

07 May 2023

You can also take a look at the Stock graphics (which you can download here https://a.phcdn.se/developers/RackExten ... cs_1_1.zip) and see that all the shadows are baked in. All the knobs have a transparent background so they can be dropped on any foreground while still blending properly especially for the shadows.

Murf
RE Developer

08 May 2023

Thanks all, I think he must have been thinking of the old 3D workflow.

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2023

Murf wrote:
08 May 2023
Neither approach ever had a “setting” for shadows, and they have always been baked into the filmstrip background.
The only difference was that in the old 3D workflow you had NO control over the shadows at all, and in the current workflow you could put them anywhere you want or leave them off completely (although I’m not sure whether the design would be approach if no shadpws).
Selig Audio, LLC

Murf
RE Developer

08 May 2023

selig wrote:
08 May 2023
Murf wrote:
08 May 2023
Neither approach ever had a “setting” for shadows, and they have always been baked into the filmstrip background.
The only difference was that in the old 3D workflow you had NO control over the shadows at all, and in the current workflow you could put them anywhere you want or leave them off completely (although I’m not sure whether the design would be approach if no shadpws).
Oh Ok, sorry I misunderstood.

turn2on
RE Developer

09 May 2023

usually:
A. In filmstrip (create by graphic editor shadows for every step)
B. Background (on panel image)
C. or background as static_widget

I long time try to use Blender for knob sketches, or something else, but not have skill to export knob as filmstrip with needed steps.
jKnobman is a main solution in years.
Good to hear, if somebody have skill in 3D renders, how to export 3d knob to filmstrip. Or anyway we needs in 1-step image export, and create from 64 files one filmstrip manual?

• Information