Reason 12.6 Released (Apple Silicon, Offline Mode)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dvdrtldg

04 May 2023

OK so I've done Sync All a bunch of times, and manually re-downloaded a bunch of REs, and now when I launch Reason I get a dialogue telling me that one RE is broken - Kitchen Sync by Josh Levy

I've manually re-downloaded Kitchen Sync but I still get the error message on launch, and Kitchen Sync doesn't show up in the browser. Authorizer indicates that it's still Intel only

It's a very early RE, and not one of my particular favourites, but I do have old sessions that use it. What are my options here?

Last Alternative

04 May 2023

OK RS - The other night I jumped thru hoops to delete and re-sync all my REs. They all said Apple besides the "it.lenotelive.ReceiveNotes.1.1.2" which is a fail.
Now I tried to open Reason and now it's telling me VSTs aren't on my computer which is weird since it didn't say that when I updated and made music the other night..
So I just synced my REs AGAIN because they all said Intel. After syncing, there are still about 5 or so that say Intel. See pics. Do I need to uninstall/reinstall Reason at this point? Geez
Attachments
RE fail.png
what is lenote?
RE fail.png (149.13 KiB) Viewed 10774 times
missing VSTs.png
huh? I didn't delete my VSTs
missing VSTs.png (144.12 KiB) Viewed 10774 times
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Last Alternative

04 May 2023

still a few Intel.png
still a few Intel.png (281.51 KiB) Viewed 10774 times
still a few Intel.png
still a few Intel.png (281.51 KiB) Viewed 10774 times
Attachments
all Intel.png
all Intel.png (259.31 KiB) Viewed 10774 times
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

joeyluck

04 May 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
04 May 2023
OK RS - The other night I jumped thru hoops to delete and re-sync all my REs. They all said Apple besides the "it.lenotelive.ReceiveNotes.1.1.2" which is a fail.
Now I tried to open Reason and now it's telling me VSTs aren't on my computer which is weird since it didn't say that when I updated and made music the other night..
So I just synced my REs AGAIN because they all said Intel. After syncing, there are still about 5 or so that say Intel. See pics. Do I need to uninstall/reinstall Reason at this point? Geez
Receive Notes is a free RE. As you were told here, you need to choose to update it. Current version is 1.3.0, but if you don't know what it is, I'm guessing that means you don't use it, so whatever 😂

As for VSTs, is it perhaps that you are running Reason natively on Apple Silicon and those VSTs are not compatible with Apple Silicon? Try choosing to open Reason using Rosetta and open those projects to see if they open. That might answer that question.

moneykube

04 May 2023

Pingafuego wrote:
04 May 2023
moneykube wrote:
04 May 2023
so no Mac intel users here at all? :shock:
---------------------------------------------------
Hi, Mac Intel user here, installed 12.6 and there was no need to reinstall all my REs.
thank you> that's great :puf_smile: ...
downloading shortly :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Last Alternative

04 May 2023

Figured it out!

* made sure Reason/get info/use Rosetta box isn't checked
* had to delete all the VST2s in my songs and switch them to VST3 - I guess R12.6 doesn't like VST2?
* scrolled thru all my REs and found 10 or so that needed to be updated, yes including the Le Note REs haha - but it's strange because I assumed clicking Sync All would update everything like it says... see pic

Well it seems like everything is working now but wow I've never had to toy around so much after an update. But I HUGELY appreciate RS for finally delivering on the M chip compatibility!!!

The only issues I'm having still are the player marker freezing up while the music is playing and the DI issue I made another thread about so that's next to tackle. Thank you guys for all your help - always.

-Jace
Attachments
sync updates.png
sync updates.png (50.3 KiB) Viewed 10747 times

joeyluck

05 May 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
04 May 2023
Figured it out!

* had to delete all the VST2s in my songs and switch them to VST3 - I guess R12.6 doesn't like VST2?
* scrolled thru all my REs and found 10 or so that needed to be updated, yes including the Le Note REs haha - but it's strange because I assumed clicking Sync All would update everything like it says... see pic

Well it seems like everything is working now but wow I've never had to toy around so much after an update. But I HUGELY appreciate RS for finally delivering on the M chip compatibility!!!

The only issues I'm having still are the player marker freezing up while the music is playing and the DI issue I made another thread about so that's next to tackle. Thank you guys for all your help - always.

-Jace
Sync All doesn't automatically update/upgrade REs to their latest versions. That protects against unwanted updates when using Sync All. But yeah, the wording and explanation could be better.

As far as the VST2 plugins you don't see, those might just be ones not compatible with Apple Silicon, while the VST3 versions you have are. I'd guess that you'd see those VST2 plugins if you ran Reason using Rosetta.

DaveyG

05 May 2023

Yeah "Sync All" just downloads the versions you currently have rather than the latest. You have to find individual REs that have updates available and either update them from the RE list on your account page or find them in the shop and "buy" the update. It would be really nice if we could opt to be notified whenever REs we own are updated and/or have a button on the account page that says "Update All".

joeyluck

05 May 2023

DaveyG wrote:
05 May 2023
Yeah "Sync All" just downloads the versions you currently have rather than the latest. You have to find individual REs that have updates available and either update them from the RE list on your account page or find them in the shop and "buy" the update. It would be really nice if we could opt to be notified whenever REs we own are updated and/or have a button on the account page that says "Update All".
Companion does a great job showing which REs have updates available and pushes them to the top of the list. Only not everyone has access to Companion... It also has its own quirks that need to be ironed out. The RE tab in Companion still takes forever to load.

Last Alternative

05 May 2023

Hmm then I don't see a need for VST2 anymore. Now I'll have to figure out how to delete all those. Seems pointless to use Rosetta now. That's like going backwards from the new M-chip update.

*sidenote - I'm kinda hesitant to buy anything right now because I feel like there's a tsunami of AI plugins coming very soon that'll make everything we have obsolete. I'm not a good mixer so the idea of AI auto correcting and basically mixing for me (with adjustable preferences) sounds like a major money and time saver. But of course I would still write my own music from the heart. I personally don't believe in using loops or song samples or even the players really. It feels like I'm cheating and it's not authentic, for me. So I write all my beats from scratch with 1-shots and every melody is mine. I do tweak presets tho so that's kinda cheating but I've never been good at sound design haha

Loque

05 May 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
05 May 2023
Hmm then I don't see a need for VST2 anymore. Now I'll have to figure out how to delete all those. Seems pointless to use Rosetta now. That's like going backwards from the new M-chip update.

*sidenote - I'm kinda hesitant to buy anything right now because I feel like there's a tsunami of AI plugins coming very soon that'll make everything we have obsolete. I'm not a good mixer so the idea of AI auto correcting and basically mixing for me (with adjustable preferences) sounds like a major money and time saver. But of course I would still write my own music from the heart. I personally don't believe in using loops or song samples or even the players really. It feels like I'm cheating and it's not authentic, for me. So I write all my beats from scratch with 1-shots and every melody is mine. I do tweak presets tho so that's kinda cheating but I've never been good at sound design haha
You can filter out the VST2 versions in the browser.

I slowly move to VST3 too, but i need VST2 for old patches and songs. Sadly there is no auto-replacement.
Reason12, Win10

Tiny Montgomery

05 May 2023

DaveyG wrote:
05 May 2023
That's not what i found after the 12.6 install - some REs had completely disappeared due to non silicon compatibility, including some newish ones. Once authoriser had re-downloaded them they appeared so must have been the new silicon versions. I didn't need to go to product pages and the product list in my account was not showing update messaging, sync all did the job.

They need to have some version of the Reason companion available to non R+ subs because updating REs in there is so much easier and straightforward (I had it on discount for a couple of years, not now).

joeyluck

05 May 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
05 May 2023
Well VST2 vs VST3 doesn't mean the difference between Silicon support...unless in the case of your specific plugins, the dev only updated the VST3 versions to be have Silicon support. That was just a guess as to why you aren't seeing the VST2 versions. And as Loque mentioned, you can now filter them in the browser.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

05 May 2023

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
05 May 2023
DaveyG wrote:
05 May 2023
That's not what i found after the 12.6 install - some REs had completely disappeared due to non silicon compatibility, including some newish ones. Once authoriser had re-downloaded them they appeared so must have been the new silicon versions. I didn't need to go to product pages and the product list in my account was not showing update messaging, sync all did the job.

They need to have some version of the Reason companion available to non R+ subs because updating REs in there is so much easier and straightforward (I had it on discount for a couple of years, not now).
That's not quite what DaveyG meant :)

To clarify:
  • The latest version of all REs, including discontinued or unsupported ones, have been updated to Silicon
  • To get the update you need to Sync All (Perpetual) or update them in Companion (Reason+)
  • If you have an RE that is an older version than the latest released one of that RE, it might not have a Silicon version.
In this last case you need to actually update your version of that RE. This is what DaveyG referred to, you do that through your account page or the shop. Sync All doesn't update to new point versions after feedback from users that they wanted to manually choose to update a version rather than when hitting Sync All.

joeyluck

05 May 2023

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
05 May 2023
DaveyG wrote:
05 May 2023
It sounds like your REs were updated to the latest versions before Sync All. From my understanding, Reason Studios has used the latest version of each RE when building Apple Silicon native versions, meaning they didn't create an Apple Silicon build for every version of every RE.

And since Sync All doesn't automatically update all REs to the latest (some REs, even free updates, make it a choice of the user to update in the shop) those REs need to be updated by the user individually, if they haven't been already.

Tiny Montgomery

05 May 2023

"To get the update you need to Sync All (Perpetual) or update them in Companion (Reason+)"

That's what I said isn't it?

I think its a semantic point that's being confused - the REs are "updated" for silicon but they are not "new versions" i.e. with a new version number 1.01 or whatever.

Suffice it to say I didn't resolve it by going through individual product pages or the product list in my account (which is what I was going to try at first). And as you have clarified silicon owners will need to do a sync all.

Tiny Montgomery

05 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
05 May 2023
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
05 May 2023

It sounds like your REs were updated to the latest versions before Sync All. From my understanding, Reason Studios has used the latest version of each RE when building Apple Silicon native versions, meaning they didn't create an Apple Silicon build for every version of every RE.

And since Sync All doesn't automatically update all REs to the latest (some REs, even free updates, make it a choice of the user to update in the shop) those REs need to be updated by the user individually, if they haven't been already.
Yes, its the difference between "updated for silicon" and a point update to the RE, I do understand and have managed to update REs the traditional way in the past. The companion was better, do miss the luxury of that.

joeyluck

05 May 2023

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
05 May 2023
"To get the update you need to Sync All (Perpetual) or update them in Companion (Reason+)"

I think its a semantic point that's being confused - the REs are "updated" for silicon but they are not "new versions" i.e. with a new version number 1.01 or whatever.

Suffice it to say I didn't resolve it by going through individual product pages or the product list in my account (which is what I was going to try at first). And as you have clarified silicon owners will need to do a sync all.
Last Alternative had not been on the newest version of every RE, so those REs had to be chosen to be updated in the shop. You were saying to the contrary, you didn't have to update REs outside of Sync All, so some of us were just clarifying that.

Tiny Montgomery

05 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
05 May 2023
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
05 May 2023

Last Alternative had not been on the newest version of every RE, so those REs had to be chosen to be updated in the shop. You were saying to the contrary, you didn't have to update REs outside of Sync All, so some of us were just clarifying that.
I wasn't saying to the contrary, I was saying what worked for me personally to get my missing REs to appear on an M1, didnt realise I had to consider every use case & previous post before saying something, but yes i understand the clarification dude. Like I say having the luxury of the companion until recently is probably why my Res were all up to date WRT point versions (and compared to authoriser companion is definitely a luxury).

I did not know all the specifics of a sync all having rarely if ever needing to use it - but my main point of believing silicon owners needing a sync all (before Matthias helpful intervention this morning) was correct. Would never tell other users what they should and shouldn't do, particularly when i'm not 100% sure myself. And, end of the day, its not on me to make this (fairly important it transpires) clarification but I think it will be helpful now that Matthias has clarified.

PhillipOrdonez

05 May 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
05 May 2023

The take you have on loops, players and presets is not a good one. But i guess everyone goes through a phase like that at some point. Anyway. Where are those goats? i need to skin them, these drums aren't making themselves 🙄

jam-s

05 May 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
04 May 2023
Figured it out!

I think your assumption is wrong. It's more likely that the (possibly outdated) VST2 versions of your VSTs were not ported to arm64 (crApple silicon) and thus were only available when using the Rosetta mode.

Last Alternative wrote:
04 May 2023
That auto update to newer versions on "sync all" has been (deliberately) disabled since a few months at least. Now you always have to actively "buy" the free upgrades and only the latest versions have gotten an updated build for arm, yet.

EDIT: Sorry to repeat what others have said. I seem to have had an outdated view of this thread open.

kurtg

05 May 2023

Steinberg, the company who invented VST2, never released an apple silicon VST2 developer kit. They only released apple silicon VST3 devkits, and said that VST2 is dead.

RobBarnett

05 May 2023

kurtg wrote:
05 May 2023
Steinberg, the company who invented VST2, never released an apple silicon VST2 developer kit. They only released apple silicon VST3 devkits, and said that VST2 is dead.
As many have quoted its not about VST2 or VST3 its whether the plugin has been ported to apple silicon by the developer. For example I can see and use the following VST2 devices in R12.6 running natively;
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.05.44.png
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.05.44.png (236.17 KiB) Viewed 10458 times
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.05.20.png
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 14.05.20.png (259.31 KiB) Viewed 10452 times
However, I can not see or use Positive Grid BIAS FX2 VST2 in R12.6 running natively because it has not been ported to AS by the developer

dmitrijsorokin

05 May 2023

kurtg wrote:
05 May 2023
Steinberg + Propellerhead invented VST2.

EnochLight

05 May 2023

dmitrijsorokin wrote:
05 May 2023
kurtg wrote:
05 May 2023
Steinberg + Propellerhead invented VST2.
Pretty sure that is incorrect. Steinberg updated the VST2 spec after Propellerhead no longer worked with them (in 1999). Steinberg + Propellerhead invented the ReWire spec in 1998, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information