Reason 12.6 Released (Apple Silicon, Offline Mode)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tanni

03 May 2023

JdA57 wrote:
02 May 2023
I don’t like the new copyprotection. Because if I’ve a perpetual License. I can use a long term activation only for one year (again and again).
But in this case, what happens if the company „Reasonstudios“ is going down? After that I cannot use Reason anymore if my longterm activation ends? And I‘m really not shure how long Props will be on the market.

I think, this is not a big deal. Activation is in this case a little bit like subscription. The only different is: I‘ve not to pay monthly or yearly for the actual version.

So I‘ll wait and work next time with version 12.5.3.
I thought the same. In this case you not only can't use Reason anymore, of course all your made songs in past are dead too....you would not able to open them anymore :puf_unhappy:

Loque

03 May 2023

tanni wrote:
03 May 2023
JdA57 wrote:
02 May 2023
I don’t like the new copyprotection. Because if I’ve a perpetual License. I can use a long term activation only for one year (again and again).
But in this case, what happens if the company „Reasonstudios“ is going down? After that I cannot use Reason anymore if my longterm activation ends? And I‘m really not shure how long Props will be on the market.

I think, this is not a big deal. Activation is in this case a little bit like subscription. The only different is: I‘ve not to pay monthly or yearly for the actual version.

I thought the same. In this case you not only can't use Reason anymore, of course all your made songs in past are dead too....you would not able to open them anymore :puf_unhappy:
Yes, let us discuss again when props, sorry, RS gone down the road and their ship has sunken...

If that ever happens, you will lose probably everything or maybe nothing or anything in between...Who knows. Until now, all your RE still work on all supported platforms and so does Reason. In the meanwhile quite a lot of vendors did not migrated to 64 bit or are not able to support any newer Windows or Apple OS. All such problems from all those vendors is not a problem in Reason. Thanks for that.

Any the "problem" with whataboutism any vendor shuts down the server...you have this problem with any new software. I already have some games which i cannot use properly, is it while they do not work anymore on the OS or CPU, the authorization tricked itself or the authorization servers are not reachable anymore...

Guys....relax and enjoy the update. The rest comes when you are already dead...
Reason12, Win10

Overtherainbow

03 May 2023

QVprod wrote:
02 May 2023
The old computer authorization through codemeter is gone from what I understand. But unless you literally never connect your computer to the internet (not even for updates) you probably won’t notice.
This is monumental. So they've changed the rules of ownership. Your license is now on a perpetual lease rather than being yours. And they made it so you can't really skip this one if you're an apple user too. These could and should have been two separate patches and they doubled down on this with a sale so the combination is very much deliberate. Lucky I never wanted an apple computer or I'd be feeling like a real chump right now. Everyone else at least has the option of not upgrading.

-50 points to Slytherin. What a shame.

EnochLight

03 May 2023

Overtherainbow wrote:
03 May 2023
QVprod wrote:
02 May 2023
The old computer authorization through codemeter is gone from what I understand. But unless you literally never connect your computer to the internet (not even for updates) you probably won’t notice.
This is monumental. So they've changed the rules of ownership. Your license is now on a perpetual lease rather than being yours. And they made it so you can't really skip this one if you're an apple user too. These could and should have been two separate patches and they doubled down on this with a sale so the combination is very much deliberate. Lucky I never wanted an apple computer or I'd be feeling like a real chump right now. Everyone else at least has the option of not upgrading.

What they have done is now allowed you to authorize up to 3 computers offline - perpetually - whereas before you could only authorize 1. So, there's "that". Do you have to re-connect and authorize at least once a year to get those 3? Sure, but IMHO it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moneykube

03 May 2023

So, does this re thing ONLY happen with the M1 chips? Or> does it happen with intel Macs as well? :?: When I upgraded to reason 12 it took many days to redownload all my racks ( one by one ) to get the high resolution versions since authorizer could not handle the job properly using sync all... I really do not want to have to do that again. It was an unnecessary waste of my time IMO
Are Intel Macs ok with this update with Racks ??? > I have some of the controllers they added support for that were in need of support for quite some time. I do not want to be endlessly downloading what I purchased in the shop again if possible. 14 pages of racks was a pain. :!:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Overtherainbow

03 May 2023

EnochLight wrote:
03 May 2023
What they have done is now allowed you to authorize up to 3 computers offline - perpetually - whereas before you could only authorize 1. So, there's "that". Do you have to re-connect and authorize at least once a year to get those 3? Sure, but IMHO it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
Your gaslighting is understandable. But it's absolutely beside the point.

tanni

03 May 2023

Loque wrote:
03 May 2023
tanni wrote:
03 May 2023

Yes, let us discuss again when props, sorry, RS gone down the road and their ship has sunken...

If that ever happens, you will lose probably everything or maybe nothing or anything in between...Who knows. Until now, all your RE still work on all supported platforms and so does Reason. In the meanwhile quite a lot of vendors did not migrated to 64 bit or are not able to support any newer Windows or Apple OS. All such problems from all those vendors is not a problem in Reason. Thanks for that.

Any the "problem" with whataboutism any vendor shuts down the server...you have this problem with any new software. I already have some games which i cannot use properly, is it while they do not work anymore on the OS or CPU, the authorization tricked itself or the authorization servers are not reachable anymore...

Guys....relax and enjoy the update. The rest comes when you are already dead...
No, no discussion, just my personal opinion on it. I don't expect everyone to see it that way :). If you don't mind what Reasonstudios put out here, you're welcome to accept it and see it that way.
I personally just avoid using software that makes me completely dependent on the manufacturer and forces me to trigger permission for further use from him at regular intervals, provided I have paid a final total price for the product. I like to decide for myself how long I want to use the product and avoid such dependencies wherever possible. That's the best way I've driven in past. There are other manufacturers who understand my attitude and offer copy protection that is acceptable for me (e.g. all Uhe plugins)

EnochLight

03 May 2023

Overtherainbow wrote:
03 May 2023
Your gaslighting is understandable. But it's absolutely beside the point.
It's not gaslighting when one is stating facts. Please point out where I suggested you were crazy? I point blank stated what they did and suggested that re-authorizing once a year was a worthy trade-off. I even put "IMHO" in there just in case you'd get hurt in the feels.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

03 May 2023

Overtherainbow wrote:
03 May 2023
QVprod wrote:
02 May 2023

You still own your license. Nothing’s changed there. Just the authorization method. It’s not a “lease” because there’s no payments involved. I’ve been working with a few licenses on iLok cloud for a few years. Even with internet down I’ve never had an issue.

QVprod

03 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 May 2023
QVprod wrote:
02 May 2023
Remote support added for
  • Arturia
    • Keylab mkII
    • Keylab Essentials
    • Microfreak
  • [*]Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol A49/A61/M32
  • Novation Impulse series
  • Updated Remote mapping for a large number of controllers
Hopefully this doesn’t mean they added support for the Komplete A controllers and sloped the S series…

I have both, but the S is the one in my setup
I'm also still waiting for support for my S61 keyboard.
Bummer… how’d they skip the flagship and do the lesser one. I mean I guess I suppose it’s easier to do with less functions

Propellerhands

03 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
02 May 2023
Propellerhands wrote:
02 May 2023

Couldn't you do that before? Like one copy with authorized computer and another copy with logging in through internet? Because I did that before. Or do you mean both offline?
There were ways to do it, but it wasn't officially allowed. Hence, the (legally) in my question :puf_wink:
But the ways I mentioned are legal. Do you mean other ways?
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

jjpscott01

03 May 2023

Excellent Update. Running like a dream on my Windows 11 PC. Well done RS
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X5 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

EnochLight

03 May 2023

Propellerhands wrote:
02 May 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
02 May 2023
Does this mean we can now (legally) run a copy on two machines at the same time? I've been waiting for that, to see if I can slave FX to a second machine.
Couldn't you do that before? Like one copy with authorized computer and another copy with logging in through internet? Because I did that before. Or do you mean both offline?
No, you couldn't authorize 3 computers for use offline at the same time before. You're talking about authorizing 1 and logging in for the other.

crimsonwarlock

03 May 2023

Propellerhands wrote:
03 May 2023
But the ways I mentioned are legal.
I think you are confusing "legal" with "possible". Although this worked (with one machine offline-authorized), my understanding is that the license allowed running on one machine at a time. You could already install Reason on as many machines as you liked with online authorization, but only have one running at once. With this new scheme, they actually allow to authorize up to three machines online and then use them offline concurrently.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

fieldframe
RE Developer

03 May 2023

Overtherainbow wrote:
03 May 2023
QVprod wrote:
02 May 2023

While I think you’re overstating it a bit, I agree in principle. The authorization scheme has moved from one that could theoretically work forever (if you froze your computer in amber) to one that will always be dependent on the developer. That does make me a little uncomfortable.

In practice, however, computers don’t tend to stand still, and whenever you upgrade the OS or the hardware, you are effectively dependent on the developer for the continued use of the software you bought. So unless you’re running Reason on a computer you never intend to change at all, the result is the same. Can’t say I love it, but such is the world of software.

robussc

03 May 2023

For those that want to guarantee access to their music in the future, the only "safe" way is to export to an platform/app agnostic format: MIDI for the performance, AIFF/WAV for the audio stems. Seems like a good practice once you've mastered your track. Put everything in a folder and back it up for safe keeping. The equivalent of keeping the session tapes around (and of course we've all heard to horror stories of tapes that were reused back in the day to "save" money.... so even that wasn't foolproof :) ).
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

jamesbailey

03 May 2023

Long time lurker, first time posting (I started with ReBirth RB-338 and have been with Reason since v1):

I've got one RE that I can't download the Apple Silicon version of; I have deleted it from Authorizer, closed Reason, relaunched, then redownloaded, and every time I get the Intel version (see attached screenshot). Has anyone else had this issue?

The RE in question: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... chen-sync/.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 4.47.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 4.47.39 PM.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 7271 times

PhillipOrdonez

03 May 2023

SebAudio wrote:
03 May 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2023

What does this mean for those with a mf?
You can use the Microfreak as a midi controller with the added bonus (versus a « generic » controller) that knobs are labeled, grouped by function… so it feels more « hardware like »
In theory, I should be able to plug it in and start tweaking knobs and those will be reflected in the Reason instruments, right? What am I doing wrong? because nothing is happening when I am trying now on different instruments and different knobs :oops:

Edit: made sure the mf is not on easy midi but as a remote surface, but still no luck. Editing remote override mapping shows no activity when moving all knobs and buttons on mf. It must be some setting on the mf I am missing? made sure the midi is sending out to usb, the keys play fine, but the buttons are totally unresponsive. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: Had the knob send MIDI CC on the mf settings set to OFF. Now it is working, hurrah! :clap: :D

dvdrtldg

03 May 2023

Overtherainbow wrote:
03 May 2023
This is monumental.
It's really not

dvdrtldg

03 May 2023

Neo wrote:
03 May 2023
Might wait a while before I start a new Thread.. M1/M2 vs Intel RS Performance. (looking to upgrade)
Would love to know what specs/computers they are running at Reason HQ.
First thing I've noticed is that I can run Acustica plugins again, which was totally impossible thru Rosetta. There's still a barely-registering CPU hit but it's nothing like before

dioxide

03 May 2023

Lots of complaining here about the licence validation. Just to say that for me it is a huge improvement. I think getting rid of CodeMeter will give RS more options also, so I see this all as a step in the right direction.

sequence

03 May 2023

Yes! This happened to me in the past with Retro AS-1 and something else from the same Bitheadz company.
They went under and no longer we could activate/use their apps.
It;s a bit scary
JdA57 wrote:
02 May 2023

QVprod

03 May 2023

sequence wrote:
03 May 2023
Yes! This happened to me in the past with Retro AS-1 and something else from the same Bitheadz company.
They went under and no longer we could activate/use their apps.
It;s a bit scary
JdA57 wrote:
02 May 2023

If they went under, they’d likely make some kind of arrangement. But even so, at some point you’d still be unable to use the software. That applies to all software, computer authorization or not.

Heater

04 May 2023

jamesbailey wrote:
03 May 2023
Long time lurker, first time posting (I started with ReBirth RB-338 and have been with Reason since v1):

I've got one RE that I can't download the Apple Silicon version of; I have deleted it from Authorizer, closed Reason, relaunched, then redownloaded, and every time I get the Intel version (see attached screenshot). Has anyone else had this issue?

The RE in question: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... chen-sync/.
Have you tried logging into your account and hitting the sync all button under My Products?

PhillipOrdonez

04 May 2023

I imagine if they ever went under they'd allow for all licenses to run perpetually. They're not assholes.

Under this pretense, i think those complaining are overreacting. It is good that your can authorize several machines. It is awesome.

• Information