Reason 8.1 users only... Drop to Prop: using it or not?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

22 Jan 2015

This poll obviously only applies to 8.1 users, so those on previous versions please don't skew the poll results.   ;)

I'm not interested in hearing about thoughts on Discover, but who out there is using the Drop to Propellerhead feature?  Whether it's to share projects privately, publicly, work on stuff via your mobile, or to preview your own mixes - I'm interested to hear your experience with it so far.

For me, I tend to use it with Take to test vocal ideas on songs I'm working on, and to preview mix-downs in my car.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

lowpryo

22 Jan 2015

I'm actually curious about how you preview your mixes. when you "drop to Propellerhead", does it go to a dropbox of sorts, and you can open it in Take? If so, that sounds like a great feature that should be talked about more! I'm still doing the dance where I export my latest mix, bring into iTunes, sync with the iPod, bring the iPod into the car - blah.
Last edited by lowpryo on 19 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

jfrichards

22 Jan 2015

I've used it about 10 times so far.  I put a link in a couple of emails for some musician friends to hear what I'm working on.  I put a link in a few forum posts for people to hear some examples of an effect I was working on.  I put a link in Facebook for friends and family around the world to hear a song.  I put a rough song idea link here on the forum for some initial critiquing, which helped a lot.  I dropped a couple of loops into 8.1 to see how it all works but the loops didn't inspire me that day.  Some I just left public, some I restricted to those who had the link.  I just got an iPhone so I'll try uploading from Take and Figure, both of which are cool.  I'm hoping to get the iPhone GarageBand stuff linked up somehow. That program is very cool.

EnochLight

22 Jan 2015

lowprio wrote:I'm actually curious about how you preview your mixes. when you "drop to Propellerhead", does it go to a dropbox of sorts, and you can open it in Take? If so, that sounds like a great feature that should be talked about more! I'm still doing the dance where I export my latest mix, bring into iTunes, sync with the iPod, bring the iPod into the car - blah.
The way you're doing it now is the way I used to do it (though transferring it to my iPhone). It was pain in the ass in retrospect.

The way I do it now is:

File => Drop to Propllerhead
Mix down uploads in usually under a minute.
Internet browser opens to page with URL where mix down is at. I email URL to me.
Get email on my iPhone; click link and playback in Safari (or iOS browser of choice) to preview mix in car

==> OR <==

Get email on my iPhone; click link and hit "Open in Take"
Use Take to preview mix in car

This has eliminated the need for me to sync to iTunes, as well as take up unnecessary space on my iPhone (if using web player). I also don't have manually transcode my mix down now (waves just took up too much room on my iPhone).

I find it very efficient. And of course, I can mess around with vocal ideas or additional live instruments via Take. If I want to keep what I record in my main Reason project, I simply mute the background track in Take (or various tracks one by one) and Drop to Prop; open stems in Reason. Everything is in sync. Love it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

phasys

22 Jan 2015

I got something to drop on Propellerhead.

Last Alternative

22 Jan 2015

phasys wrote:I got something to drop on Propellerhead.
Do you need to make a poopy?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

22 Jan 2015

Over 100 views but only 8 votes. :frown:

stratatonic

23 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:Over 100 views but only 8 votes. :frown:
I'd vote if I had downloaded the .1 update, but I'm still on R8.0. I'm not interested in Discover, and while going from grey border clips back to black appeals to me, the problems I was hearing on the forum with authorizations (and my own personal auth fiascos in the past), has delayed my update download indefinitely.

ProfessaKaos

23 Jan 2015

Very handy for sending vocalists music I just made in Reason where ever they might be or where ever I might be, once they receive a link from me they can open straight in Take and instantly start writing and recording ideas straight to the music.
I quite like it.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

ebop

23 Jan 2015

You can also access your Drop tracks directly from 'your own' personal Discover page which I've bookmarked. You save your Drop tracks as 'unlisted' so that no one else can access them. From your own private Discover page you can play them from that page (no loop option), send them to Take (loop option) or open in Reason. R8.1 has been a godsend for getting efficient access to my bounced tracks for my own personal listening (dis)pleasure.

raymondh

23 Jan 2015

I'm not using it at the moment. I'm regularly jumping between Reason 7 and Reason 8 (due to collabs) so I haven't completely embraced v8 yet with it's capability to do this.

Emian

23 Jan 2015

raymondh wrote:I'm not using it at the moment. I'm regularly jumping between Reason 7 and Reason 8 (due to collabs) so I haven't completely embraced v8 yet with it's capability to do this.

its ironically, you have to switch between versions for collabs, alltough they encourage collabs in Reason 8/Discover :)

i'm still happy with 7.1.1, & my collabs work just fine with Dropbox. But i'm curious what this year will bring.
Can Discover be used to "save" projects online (good in case of a disc crash) ? or does it only handle WAV files ?

Cheers !

Jan

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

23 Jan 2015

I've been using it this week and doing something I haven't done in a LONG time. Making music for the mere FUN of it.

Here's what I've discovered: Some people are using take to record fantastic songs but they're not doing it to a click and their tempo is all over the place. Not all over the place in that cool "it grooves like only a human could" sorta way. More like they come up to a tricky guitar part and they slow down to get through it.

So I've been having fun finding these Take songs, opening them in Reason, and using Reason's freakishly good stretch algorithm to first map the tempo and then lock their performance back to a grid. Once it's gridded out I add instrumentation and play with production additions.

Tonight I did this one, adding brush drums to their song...http://phead.mu/s/euxI7JBq

You can see the "Based on..." link in the player that will take you to the original. It's been really fun to do these! I'll probably continue this one but this is as far as I got tonight.

gullum

23 Jan 2015

As of now I'm not using it. I did try opening so sample (Drop) from there in Reason. It is cool idea but if you are using figure or take. but I don't thing as a collaboration thing, you upload a song (idea) and you friend opens it in reason bunches it down uploads it. You add some then he adds some and then you again. Ok now your finally finished? How are you going to do the final mix you noticed that the drums in the first take need some work? ups lets start over again.

ProfessaKaos

23 Jan 2015

ryanharlin wrote:I've been using it this week and doing something I haven't done in a LONG time. Making music for the mere FUN of it.

Here's what I've discovered: Some people are using take to record fantastic songs but they're not doing it to a click and their tempo is all over the place. Not all over the place in that cool "it grooves like only a human could" sorta way. More like they come up to a tricky guitar part and they slow down to get through it.

So I've been having fun finding these Take songs, opening them in Reason, and using Reason's freakishly good stretch algorithm to first map the tempo and then lock their performance back to a grid. Once it's gridded out I add instrumentation and play with production additions.

Tonight I did this one, adding brush drums to their song...http://phead.mu/s/euxI7JBq

You can see the "Based on..." link in the player that will take you to the original. It's been really fun to do these! I'll probably continue this one but this is as far as I got tonight.
Hey Ryan,

I've also notice the Take songs being all over the place tempo wise, it would be great if Take had an Click track option.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

23 Jan 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote:it would be great if Take had an Click track option.
It DOES. But this falls under the "You can lead a horse to water..." category. Even with a click, some people still feel most comfortable free-wheeling it.

I'm considering doing a tutorial on how to grid this stuff back because I find it fun in a weird way and it would open up a ton of material for us Reason users to collab on if we just prepped it first.

ebop

23 Jan 2015

Serious question. And this is to no one in particular. Are musicians too serious?

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

23 Jan 2015

ebop wrote:Are musicians too serious?
Leo at NAMM says "yes."

ProfessaKaos

23 Jan 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote:it would be great if Take had an Click track option.
ryanharlin wrote:
It DOES. But this falls under the "You can lead a horse to water..." category. Even with a click, some people still feel most comfortable free-wheeling it.

I'm considering doing a tutorial on how to grid this stuff back because I find it fun in a weird way and it would open up a ton of material for us Reason users to collab on if we just prepped it first.
Ah understandable, at least it is an option.
Maybe you guys could have a future video where it starts with the click track playing and a screen shot of Take, then to a shot of a musician sitting in their living room with a Piano/Keyboard or Acoustic Gtr creating something along to the click track, when the artist starts tracking harmonies the click track disappears and the whole production/song plays, the end. Maybe this will start a trend of people that are not comfortable using a click track to do so.
If you could make a Tutorial for tempo mapping in Reason it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Ocean of Waves

23 Jan 2015

I would happy to use it as something for me or my friends or possibly a thread on ReasonTalk. NOT for the world to use. So I voted NO

Ocean of Waves

23 Jan 2015

ebop wrote:You can also access your Drop tracks directly from 'your own' personal Discover page which I've bookmarked. You save your Drop tracks as 'unlisted' so that no one else can access them. From your own private Discover page you can play them from that page (no loop option), send them to Take (loop option) or open in Reason. R8.1 has been a godsend for getting efficient access to my bounced tracks for my own personal listening (dis)pleasure.
Ah, I never understood you could have private settings. Worth trying

EnochLight

23 Jan 2015

ryanharlin wrote:I'm considering doing a tutorial on how to grid this stuff back because I find it fun in a weird way and it would open up a ton of material for us Reason users to collab on if we just prepped it first.
+10! Some video tutorials would really help demonstrate the value and features. Highly recommended!

illone

23 Jan 2015

(Only have R7.x, but still have question) I dont own a iphone, will never own a iphone, and have one of the worst ecosystems: Windows Phone (but love the phone).  Does DropToProp buy me anything?

hydlide

23 Jan 2015

I voted NO. Simply put, I work on projects I can't share, even if it would be said it is a closed system (call it dropbox). I just don't want something being online which is for clients I work for.

everything I do is done by using private networks (no external service in between, not even soundcloud and send it private).

I have similar issues while "coding". I have a github account, but I don't use it for client related stuff since its the same principle.

• Information