The new Instrument, "Objekt" is coming in May

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ottostrom

04 Apr 2023

I absolutely love the design and color scheme! I want my devices to stand out from each other and I don't care about 100% skeuomorphic accuracy :)
Can't wait to try it out

Loque

04 Apr 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Adding dynamic combinator CV inputs amount is the key to every problem with modulation in any device
Combinator and CV works only for mono. A mod matrix works for poly.
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

04 Apr 2023

Win early access to Objekt on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqnC76iAPqp
Woah!
Objekt is everywhere here at Reason Studios 🤪
Do you want to get your hands on our new synth before everyone else!?!

1. Find the effect by pressing the effect icon in our profile
2. Show us where Objekt fits into your life - the more creative the better!
3. Share the video through stories/reel and tag @reasonstudios
4. Make sure you save the video so that you can send it to us if you win 🙂

We’ll pick 3 winners who will get Reason+ and a pre-release version of Objekt.
Winners will be announced on April 11th.

ambi

04 Apr 2023

I'm not interested too much in a physical synth but I'm still considering buying it because I like the design.
And to they guy who said that Europa and Algoritm look superior: Absolutely not. I dislike both designs because they look like software programs and not like physical rack devices. While I like Algoritm I decided against buying it just because of its software UI.

SebAudio

04 Apr 2023

ambi wrote:
04 Apr 2023
I'm not interested too much in a physical synth but I'm still considering buying it because I like the design.
And to they guy who said that Europa and Algoritm look superior: Absolutely not. I dislike both designs because they look like software programs and not like physical rack devices. While I like Algoritm I decided against buying it just because of its software UI.
I’m not the person who said, but I share the same opinion about Complex-1 : it’s the best synth design RS designed :clap:
What you say about Algo is exactly what some want to express here : they’re design is so important that one can not buy a device because of the design. I know I won’t use a device which is not inviting me to do so so I’ve decided not to buy any new device if I don’t « feel » it. We’re in 2023, there are millions of synths and trillions of sounds so why buy a new device if I’m not in joy to use it ?
Btw, bitspeek is a great example of a right choice when it comes to make a device which « fits in The rack »

Overtherainbow

04 Apr 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Whatever they charge, whingers gonna whinge

At this point, Reason Studios could develop a cure for cancer, institute global peace and solve the climate crisis, and half of Facebook would be complaining that they hadn't updated the sequencer instead
:twisted: or they could just update the sequencer :twisted:
I actually just need a fullscreen mode for windows at this point and I'm happy.

As to object: So far I heard some plinky-plonk sounds and some ambiance, so not sold yet. Let's see, or rather, let's hear some more. The UI looks pretty fun to me.

Faastwalker

04 Apr 2023

joeyluck wrote:
04 Apr 2023
'
Woah!
Objekt is everywhere here at Reason Studios 🤪
Do you want to get your hands on our new synth before everyone else!?!

1. Find the effect by pressing the effect icon in our profile
2. Show us where Objekt fits into your life - the more creative the better!
3. Share the video through stories/reel and tag @reasonstudios
4. Make sure you save the video so that you can send it to us if you win 🙂

We’ll pick 3 winners who will get Reason+ and a pre-release version of Objekt.
Winners will be announced on April 11th.
Yes! All over this :thumbup:

robussc

04 Apr 2023

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Apr 2023
robussc wrote:
04 Apr 2023

Agreed. I see why people think it’ll be popular with Sound FX folks, but otherwise it seems quite niche. Looking forward to being inevitably proven wrong :)
Having managed it, used it, and tested it for a long time I can confidently say it's more for people who want realistic instruments (or pseudo-realistic instruments) they can both play and control in their music than sound FX designers ;)
Inevitable indeed! :D
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2023

I like the design. I mean if you want to get pedantic about the sanctity of the rack, RS hasn't really cared much about the rack paradigm for years. I don't think they've released a device since Reason 6 that has rear rack screws, and most don't even bother with front ones either. Some devices around Reason 10 / 11 barely have a rear side at all, just a flat colour or gradient and a couple of ins or outs.

They didn't even take the time to address this in the HD update, but did weird things like The Echo having full height rack ears now on the front, but still half height rack ears on the rear ....

Ok ok I know .. I'm the one being pedantic! :twisted:

Kilsane

05 Apr 2023

The graphical interface is successful, now I would like to see videos or a stream on youtube

Aosta

05 Apr 2023

So I'm assuming you can route a mic output into the external in? If so that would be interesting to use your voice to 'play' the RE.
Tend the flame

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Apr 2023

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Apr 2023
dusan.cani wrote:
04 Apr 2023
It would be interesting to know who designed the UI and aesthetics for this thing. Was it the same person ? Because design of previous devices like old Reason stuff and newer one like Europa, Complex, Algoritm, etc is superior compared to this Objekt UI. Objekt's UI doesn't look very inviting and cool. As several users stated , it looks like cheap toy. But the design is also inconsistent and it has weird, unattractive color combination and weird overall shape of the device. Those non-flat 3d-like and flat design elements don't fit together in this case. Effects section has knobs without shadows while other knobs and elements have shadows.
It's the same designer as almost every device we've ever made. We quite like it and the look has also been popular in user testing! That the older devices are superior is your opinion, which is totally OK, but it's not objectively true which is good to remember. UIs are always divisive (the replies in this thread is a good example of that) but we like our devices to have a lot of character. By the way, regarding the shadows, the effect knobs are simply more shallow (they're more like jog-wheels) than the others so they cast less shadows.

Regardless though, we appreciate the feedback! In this case the UI is not likely to change, so hopefully the sound and usability will convince you ;)
There's one element in Objekt's UI that I would consider to have stepped over the "VST UI" line, and that is the "tabs" over the modal and object controls. In other Reason devices where a major part of the UI takes on variable contexts, that context selector is typically expressed in a hardware metaphor, such as the push buttons on Dr. OctoRex's slots or Europa's engines. Other devices like Mimic use a similar "touchscreen" metaphor for context selection. Even Sweeper and Quartet's various modes, which completely change the arrangement of controls below them, are rendered as push buttons.

All this is to say it's a little strange when Objekt takes the software metaphor of the tab sheet and pulls it back out into 3D space with depth and shading! This is of course very common in VST UIs and you could find it everywhere once upon a time, but it breaks with convention for Reason. It's fine; every Reason device has its UI quirks, but I couldn't let this pass unnoticed. :)

joeyluck

05 Apr 2023

BV-X also uses the tab approach. I think it works well to highlight better what is selected. Easier to see at a glance. The approach is a bit of a hybrid of hardware and software. When using BV-X, I kind of forget that the tabs are not a characteristic of real hardware.

Chi-Individual

06 Apr 2023

IMG_0075.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg (328.06 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
Reason Studios. Can we pls get more mod matrix slots on the back of some of these instruments like this? This unused real estate could really be helpful on some of them. Or can it be done like Synapse where you can scroll up or down for extra slots? Image
Attachments
IMG_0076.jpeg
IMG_0076.jpeg (187.15 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
IMG_0072.jpeg
IMG_0072.jpeg (162.54 KiB) Viewed 5949 times

SebAudio

07 Apr 2023

fieldframe wrote:
05 Apr 2023
MattiasHG wrote:
04 Apr 2023

It's the same designer as almost every device we've ever made. We quite like it and the look has also been popular in user testing! That the older devices are superior is your opinion, which is totally OK, but it's not objectively true which is good to remember. UIs are always divisive (the replies in this thread is a good example of that) but we like our devices to have a lot of character. By the way, regarding the shadows, the effect knobs are simply more shallow (they're more like jog-wheels) than the others so they cast less shadows.

Regardless though, we appreciate the feedback! In this case the UI is not likely to change, so hopefully the sound and usability will convince you ;)
There's one element in Objekt's UI that I would consider to have stepped over the "VST UI" line, and that is the "tabs" over the modal and object controls. In other Reason devices where a major part of the UI takes on variable contexts, that context selector is typically expressed in a hardware metaphor, such as the push buttons on Dr. OctoRex's slots or Europa's engines. Other devices like Mimic use a similar "touchscreen" metaphor for context selection. Even Sweeper and Quartet's various modes, which completely change the arrangement of controls below them, are rendered as push buttons.

All this is to say it's a little strange when Objekt takes the software metaphor of the tab sheet and pulls it back out into 3D space with depth and shading! This is of course very common in VST UIs and you could find it everywhere once upon a time, but it breaks with convention for Reason. It's fine; every Reason device has its UI quirks, but I couldn't let this pass unnoticed. :)
Beside the fact that in Reason, devices are in the rack and so we can expect them to have a « plausible » UI (skeumorphism, rack gear and not tabletop, …) what annoys me with Ojekt (apart from using a « k » as a 15 years ago NI offering) is that it seems to be made of plastic (plastik ?). It king of clashes with the metallic or « real » sounds it’s supposed to produced. Except if it’s a « plasticky » reality.

PhillipOrdonez

07 Apr 2023

SebAudio wrote:
07 Apr 2023
fieldframe wrote:
05 Apr 2023

Beside the fact that in Reason, devices are in the rack and so we can expect them to have a « plausible » UI (skeumorphism, rack gear and not tabletop, …) what annoys me with Ojekt (apart from using a « k » as a 15 years ago NI offering) is that it seems to be made of plastic (plastik ?). It king of clashes with the metallic or « real » sounds it’s supposed to produced. Except if it’s a « plasticky » reality.
Other languages are fictional, apparently.

DaveyG

07 Apr 2023

I think the new synth might be the result of a drunken one night stand between these two:

I always knew those budget Elektrons couldn't be trusted to keep their clothes on. :oops:

moalla

07 Apr 2023

jam-s wrote:
03 Apr 2023
moalla wrote:
03 Apr 2023
Nice looks like a sdk update will come,
What exactly do you see in this picture that cannot be done with the current SDK?
First I thought, there will be a CV input update at the backside, but I was wrong. So yeah maybe RS will anounce a SDK update this year, for future improvents and new rack extension ;) but how knows this, at the end RS is working on a really big sequencer update for R13, what could be seen as big attack on ableton.....

But first they struggle around with apple metall mindfuck technology, as a lot of other developers now have their fun with it and the HQ capabilities and technical requirments around. If they main programmcode still works stable everything is okay, gladly I´m not using a mac these days.....
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Faastwalker

11 Apr 2023

Faastwalker wrote:
04 Apr 2023
joeyluck wrote:
04 Apr 2023
'

Yes! All over this :thumbup:
……. Didn’t win! :cry:

Just renewed subscription but really wanted to get my hands on Objekt early. Oh well, May 11 it is :D

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqxegf-p ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Faastwalker

21 Apr 2023

............................... Objekting to the lact of Objekt updates/news/teasers/etc. Bring it on, RS ;-)

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2023

It's close to the reveal now. I'd say we won't see any new teases until at least a week before. Unless anything came from Superbooth that we/I haven't seen yet?

Faastwalker

21 Apr 2023

Steedus wrote:
21 Apr 2023
It's close to the reveal now. I'd say we won't see any new teases until at least a week before. Unless anything came from Superbooth that we/I haven't seen yet?
I think you're probably correct. Superbooth23 starts on May 11th. I doubt it's a coincidence Objekt is launching on this day. Great strategy. For synth stuff Superbooth feels like the place to be now. It's overtaken NAMM in this respect. I'm excited for this years Superbooth. I think there's going to be some big reveals, not least from Reason Studios of course. My bank account is going to very upset come May 11-13! :D

EpiGenetik

25 Apr 2023

SebAudio wrote:
07 Apr 2023
what annoys me with Objekt (apart from using a « k » as a 15 years ago NI offering)
Screenshot 2023-04-25 140000.png
Screenshot 2023-04-25 140000.png (11.85 KiB) Viewed 4468 times

steff3

25 Apr 2023

EpiGenetik wrote:
25 Apr 2023
SebAudio wrote:
07 Apr 2023
what annoys me with Objekt (apart from using a « k » as a 15 years ago NI offering)
Screenshot 2023-04-25 140000.png
Semi-nerdy naming conventions ;)

OOSGE -> object oriented sound generation engine .....

• Information