Is there a way to create "blur" convolution effects in RV7000 MkII?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
GlacierRays

04 Apr 2023

I know there's a way to create blurry, long tail, pad-like effects using other devices or VSTs already (e.g. Valhalla Supermassive 'Billions And Billions' patch), but i'm asking this more from a sound design learning perspective - I really like breaking signal flows down and understanding what's happening at each point in the chain so was curious if people have used RV7000 MkII convolution to get this effect, and if so how?

I'm asking because of this recent In The Mix youtube video, where he shows how to get this effect using FL Studio's 'Fruity Convolver' device and the 'Blur White' preset, which replaces the impulse response with a stereo white noise sample and envelope:
(link timestamped to 1:30).

As RV7000 MkII has convolution options, I was wondering if it was possible to replicate this in that device? I know you can load custom files for impulse response, but is there a way to have the same kind of envelope functionality live (and potentially parameter modulatable?) I guess I could get a white noise sample, envelope it, and bounce it as a new sample to use in the convolution but it would be awesome if there was a way to have the envelope be modulated on the fly.

Loque

04 Apr 2023

Just create the sample you want. Than you can use Decay fiction to shorten the reverb or Gate to gate it.

Thor can create different nose types. Generate your sound with the envelope, fighters, EQs, FX, .... Regret it and load it into RV7000MKII. Done.
Reason12, Win10

GlacierRays

04 Apr 2023

Loque wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Just create the sample you want. Than you can use Decay fiction to shorten the reverb or Gate to gate it.

Thor can create different nose types. Generate your sound with the envelope, fighters, EQs, FX, .... Regret it and load it into RV7000MKII. Done.
Awesome, i'll give this a try, thanks!

selig
RE Developer

05 Apr 2023

I did a whole series of posts on using noise in the RV7000 when they first added convolution, probably back in the old PUF so lost forever. :(
The key is using a stereo sample, basically two noise samples left and right. You will hear the smoothest possible reverb with white noise. The time limit in the RV7000 is around 12 seconds so no use making it longer than that.

I have a Thor patch I can share I use to generate the noise samples with different decay shapes. If you use a bit of sustain before starting the decay you can get a sweet slightly gated effect. If you filter the noise or use an envelope filter you can take it even further - add resonance sweeps for some beautifully bizarre sounds. Comb filter sweeps are also interesting. Also consider this as a pre-reverb processor (patch the RV7000 ahead of the main reverb, adjust wet/dry to taste) to add further diffusion to any reverb.

It’s a deep rabbit hole to be sure, maybe I should do a live stream on the subject.
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

05 Apr 2023

selig wrote:
05 Apr 2023
It’s a deep rabbit hole to be sure, maybe I should do a live stream on the subject.
I'd say this is a great topic for a live stream :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

05 Apr 2023

Here is the Thor file(s) from back then (2015 according to the file date). I need to take a look and see what's actually there if there are questions!
You can connect Thor directly to the sampling input of the RV7000 for a super quick 'exploratory mode' workflow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omde5vnwu4lvf ... r.zip?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

GlacierRays

05 Apr 2023

This is so so helpful, thank you so much! I'll have a play around but yes a livestream would be awesome seeing as you already have a deep knowledge of it, do you stream on Twitch or YouTube?

ljekio

06 Apr 2023

selig wrote:
05 Apr 2023
Here is the Thor file(s) from back then (2015 according to the file date). I need to take a look and see what's actually there if there are questions!
Thanks for sharing, it would also be interesting to look at your thor patch. I also sampled different colored noises for the reverb yesterday and found this to be a compelling technique. While I have long been fascinated by various ways associated with convolution effects. And I've always wondered if there is a way (maybe a vst-plugin) to process real-time convolution from two sources, and not like in most cases we have one preloaded sample and one input.

RobC

06 Apr 2023

Not the same, but you can also use Reason's vocoder. Two if you want stereo. Then you can hear it live what you can expect from the different types of noises you use. No need to save and load noise samples.

ljekio

06 Apr 2023

It seems that that vocoder gives too characteristic coloring to the sound ... And it seems that I once tried something like that, I have to repeat it.

It also seemed to me that the presence of an envelope in an IR device is very important, you don’t get enough noise with many types of attacks for all occasions, and in a device where it is, you set it up right away. I try to do it in Waves IR1 and I like the result.

• Information