Are players useful with RRP?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
jam-s

28 Mar 2023

shropshirelad wrote:
28 Mar 2023
I can't get RRP Players like Chord Sequencer to work in Studio One 6. Scaler 2 works, so it's not the way I'm setting things up - they should both work in the same way. I also use Logic, where it works perfectly, so not a deal breaker but I'd like to get it going in S1 if I can. Anyone with experience or ideas about what could be wrong?
Have you added a MIDI-OUT device below the player?

shropshirelad

29 Mar 2023

jam-s wrote:
28 Mar 2023

Have you added a MIDI-OUT device below the player?
Hi, yes - it appears automatically when instantiating a Player device.

Bluescat

11 Apr 2023

shropshirelad wrote:
28 Mar 2023
I can't get RRP Players like Chord Sequencer to work in Studio One 6. Scaler 2 works, so it's not the way I'm setting things up - they should both work in the same way. I also use Logic, where it works perfectly, so not a deal breaker but I'd like to get it going in S1 if I can. Anyone with experience or ideas about what could be wrong?
Did you get this working? It should. Let's say you have a synth on track one. You add a RRP to track two with a player device. On track one (Synth) Inspector (F4) change the input to "Reason Rack Plugin". Select the RRP track two, then make sure the blue "speaker" icon on track one is lit. The MIDI generated on track two should route to track one, and be record-able; either live play, or sequences when the Studio One Play button is activated.

Jac459

12 Apr 2023

+1 on Bitwig+RRP combo.
The players work great there.

Funny enough I really wanted to love ableton but never could while it was instant love with bitwig.
But I am a strong believer of "different people, different taste" so ymmv.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Troublemecca

21 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
15 Mar 2023
visheshl wrote:
15 Mar 2023

Bro I'd love to buy a new mac and logic... unfortunately its just too expensive for me... I've always been a fan of apple products, but they make it prohibitively expensive.
You don't need to buy a brand new Mac or the most powerful. I am still using a 2015 MacBook Air, 2.2 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. It's enough computer for me for now.

Apple sells refurbished computers: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac
and https://www.macofalltrades.com/ is another great place to check out
I’ll second this… I bought a 2012 i7 MacBook as a music production machine for 400USD in 2019, and it’s still serving me well. Reason (11) doesn’t run so well on it past a certain, disappointing point lol, but Logic runs beautifully, especially w Reason as a VST. Automation in logic is already a nightmare though (compared w Reason), and automating the racks through logic is hell.

kakok

11 Jan 2024

I'm a beginner with Reason so maybe I'm missing something, but what I don't understand is this:
In Reason the DAW all devices that can do sequencing (Like Redrum and the Drum Sequencer Player) have this 'Send to track' button that does what it says.
However when I use Reason as plugin in Cubase, only some have devices have this blue ribbon thing on the left that you can use to drag a sequence to a midi track, others do not.
For instance Redrum does, but the Drum Sequencer Player does not.
Why is this or what do I not understand?

huggermugger

11 Jan 2024

You're correct. Players like DrumSequencer, Scales&Chords, Bassline Generator, etc, have the Send To Track button when you use them in Reason standalone. But that button is missing in the RRP. You cannot "send to track" from a Player in your DAW. Only a few devices, e.g.Redrum, have the Drag and Drop MIDI feature. (It's the same with the Direct Record button that appears on some Players).

Here's what it looks like in Logic.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 9.55.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 9.55.08 PM.png (318.66 KiB) Viewed 8963 times

Jackjackdaw

12 Jan 2024

You have to connect the player to a midi out device and route the midi to a new track in your host DAW and record in real time.

kakok

12 Jan 2024

Thanks. Still don't understand why midi drag-and-drop isn't implemented consistently but I guess I have to live with it.

huggermugger

12 Jan 2024

Luckily, Logic (which I use) has a feature that makes it easy to record a Player's output direct to the track. It's not as convenient as Send To Track because you actually have to record in realtime, but it works.

crimsonwarlock

12 Jan 2024

huggermugger wrote:
12 Jan 2024
It's not as convenient as Send To Track because you actually have to record in realtime, but it works.
Inside Reason we can also do direct record with players, besides "send to track". I recently discovered (with BeatMap) that direct record gives different, and far better, results than send to track. In this case, I had a few LFOs slowly modulating the X-Y position of Beatmap, to get a bit of randomness. Using send to track resulted in the same patterns every time, send to track probably resets everything before sending. Direct record, on the other hand, gave nice new random patterns every time.

I haven't tried with other players, but certainly something to be aware of.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jan 2024

DaveyG wrote:
15 Mar 2023
"Are players useful with RRP?"

Yes, yes, and thrice yes.
There is no magic "write midi to track" button but you can just record the midi output. For me players are absolutely the best thing about Reason, both standalone and RRP.
Yes.

Thread could simply have ended there. Nothing more to add. Perfection.

• Information