(electronic/sample based/dunno really) Building a Land for Machines and Computers

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Auryn

17 Mar 2023

Long time no posting, but I've finished something

This track is based almost exclusively on samples from the track 'Leave them a Flower' by Ed Ames
(you can find it on some streaming services if interested)
I found the 1969 record "Love of the Common People" in one of those cupboards where people leave their unwanted old books to take for free. It was basically a pristine copy so brought it home on a whim and one song in particular inspired this track.

The track is obviously having its cake and eating it a bit, but I hope the original message from mister Ames comes through as well
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Chizmata

20 Mar 2023

Auryn wrote:
17 Mar 2023
Long time no posting, but I've finished something

This track is based almost exclusively on samples from the track 'Leave them a Flower' by Ed Ames
(you can find it on some streaming services if interested)
I found the 1969 record "Love of the Common People" in one of those cupboards where people leave their unwanted old books to take for free. It was basically a pristine copy so brought it home on a whim and one song in particular inspired this track.

The track is obviously having its cake and eating it a bit, but I hope the original message from mister Ames comes through as well
first of all, nice sample picking. i wasnt sure what to make of this track for a long while, but in the end the overdrawn machinally stomping impacts convinced me that this is a succesful refreshment of the original's (which i don't know) social criticism but from an actually already computerized world. if i'm right, good job, if i'm just seeing things please tell me :lol: .

Auryn

21 Mar 2023

Chizmata wrote:
20 Mar 2023
first of all, nice sample picking. i wasnt sure what to make of this track for a long while, but in the end the overdrawn machinally stomping impacts convinced me that this is a succesful refreshment of the original's (which i don't know) social criticism but from an actually already computerized world. if i'm right, good job, if i'm just seeing things please tell me :lol: .
Thanks for listening. Yeah when I listened to the original I first heard the line "building a land for machines and computers" I was thinking "WTF if this is what we were doing in 1969,, what the hell are we doing now??"
And yeah you're basically right, I kind of leaned into the mechanized nature of the loops for effect, an attempt to create a humorous kind of tension with the lyrics. I mean, I love computers so I couldn't 100% underwrite the lyrics, but I originally conceived the idea maybe 6 months ago, and look at the arrival of AI/chatGPT in the mean time... there is certainly a timely aspect to the lyrics ;)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

strangers
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2023

I listened to your song, Youtube'd the original and then listened to yours again... what a trip lol. You transformed that little melodic line into such a haunting song (in a good way). There should be a Twilight Zone episode about computers taking over the world and your song playing in the background the entire time. On second thought, there's probably already a Twilight Zone episode about exactly that and it's in serious need of having this song mixed in.

• Information