How many monitors do you use with Reason?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

21 Mar 2023

1 monitor, 2 monitors, or 3 monitors?

Especially if you are an all-in-one music master that makes everything from the first words of the lyrics, to the finishing mastering touches.
Both for your personal, but also commercial projects.

1 seems not enough. 2 seem to be more or less enough. But 3 monitors seem like the 3rd one won't always be used.

All in all, are 3 monitors worth in with Reason (and maybe a few tools/software outside Reason)?

jam-s

21 Mar 2023

For me: minimum 2 and if possible 3 screens (with one in portrait orientation).

guitfnky

21 Mar 2023

one 42-inch 4k (TV)--did the math and it's much larger surface area than using 2 decent-sized computer monitors. very useful.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

stillifegaijin

21 Mar 2023

I use 3 and they all are used all of the time.
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg (881.79 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

dioxide

21 Mar 2023

Two. The built in laptop screen and an external monitor in portrait mode. I'm considering getting a bigger external monitor.

robussc

21 Mar 2023

2 (one landscape for the sequencer and mixer), one portrait for the rack) and if I could fit 3 I would!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

22 Mar 2023

Two 24 inch 2K computer screens and one 42 inch 4K TV screen. I could work with just the large 4K screen, switching between the mixer and the sequencer window, and just one other screen in portrait mode for the rack. But I had the two smaller screens already and added the large screen later. Now that I'm used to having the mixer completely visible on the large screen, I can't go back to smaller screens only.

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

22 Mar 2023

1 27” for many years now, though I have a second LG monitor mostly for live streaming.
Now if you’re asking about audio monitors, I consider them essential for audio monitoring (my main job) and currently have three pairs in the main position, another pair for the synth station plus a single mono monitor. So five options all immediately available, so I really don’t have room for even a second monitor in any meaningful/useful position (the current second monitor is almost 90° to my right). Priorities! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

23 Mar 2023

Thank you very much for all the information and studio pictures!

While I had a 24" IPS Full HD monitor for most basic things; I decided to additionally get a 50" 4k TV.

Karim
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2023

recently I managed with my Imac to have 3 monitors ( 1 for SSL, 1 for sequencer and 1 for the rack)

for the latter I would like to buy one that reclines vertically :puf_smile:
RobC wrote:
21 Mar 2023
1 monitor, 2 monitors, or 3 monitors?

Especially if you are an all-in-one music master that makes everything from the first words of the lyrics, to the finishing mastering touches.
Both for your personal, but also commercial projects.

1 seems not enough. 2 seem to be more or less enough. But 3 monitors seem like the 3rd one won't always be used.

All in all, are 3 monitors worth in with Reason (and maybe a few tools/software outside Reason)?
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

pushedbutton

23 Mar 2023

2, looking for a third that I can wirelessly stream Lyrics to (and an addon to do it with).
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

MuttReason

23 Mar 2023

One ultra wide 4k (a Samsung). Brilliant for many things including work stuff (I can lay out the equivalent of up to 5 A4 documents side by side) and so good with Reason too especially when in Sequencer view.

RobC

03 Apr 2023

Lots of cool options, guys!

I considered separate monitors, but I prefer to keep the mouse on one screen.

And lol, silly me, didn't think of that 50" isn't just 2 25" monitor space, but actually 4! And that 4k is 4xfull hd. That's the case of me being stupid, but having a pleasant surprise.

I will just need a cheap solution to rotate my 25" IPS monitor by 90⁰. Though then again, I usually was the type that gave a column for each sound/instrument in the rack, so maybe I should just leave that monitor as-is. Not to mention there's enough room on this 50" TV.

• Information