Drum Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Aosta

12 Mar 2023

Just been playing around with drum sequencer player and using it not for drums but notes and got some really interesting patterns out of it using speed, direction and probability.
Has anyone used it in this way and if so any tips on getting more out of it?
Tend the flame

crimsonwarlock

12 Mar 2023

Aosta wrote:
12 Mar 2023
Has anyone used it in this way and if so any tips on getting more out of it?
I do things like that, for example with BeatMap. You can use something like TonicMint's InRange RE to make the generated notes follow a chord progression.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

huggermugger

12 Mar 2023

You can adjust the pitch of each DS lane (the LRN mode makes this easy). Or you can feed DS into a Scales&Chords to force the notes to a particular scale (turn the Chords switch off).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.10.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.10.25 AM.png (424.25 KiB) Viewed 864 times

Aosta

12 Mar 2023

huggermugger wrote:
12 Mar 2023
You can adjust the pitch of each DS lane (the LRN mode makes this easy). Or you can feed DS into a Scales&Chords to force the notes to a particular scale (turn the Chords switch off).
Thanks, I've already played with the notes and the reset step length but adding chords is a great idea :thumbup:
I just threw a baseline generator under the drum sequencer and discovered I can 'automate' the root note of that device and also a pattern mutator works too
Tend the flame

Mataya

12 Mar 2023

Tried something like that few years back. You can do interesting stuff with this player. I guess what you described is something like in this video of mine.

tx
Mataya

Marc64

12 Mar 2023

Yeah it's fun to use things for other things than they are meant for :)

Arpeg
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2023

Great ideas here. I like the cv connections on the back of BeatMap as I am currently using this device for Bass.
I'm sure we all like chaining patterns like in Microtonic for example but the only RE device I know of that does this is PolyStep Sequencer with 4 chaining variations per pattern. So I sometimes use this for beats. I would really like Drum Sequencer and Redrum to have this option.

visheshl

13 Mar 2023

Arpeg wrote:
12 Mar 2023
Great ideas here. I like the cv connections on the back of BeatMap as I am currently using this device for Bass.
I'm sure we all like chaining patterns like in Microtonic for example but the only RE device I know of that does this is PolyStep Sequencer with 4 chaining variations per pattern. So I sometimes use this for beats. I would really like Drum Sequencer and Redrum to have this option.
I like using polystep for drums as well...., It works quite well actually....

Aosta

13 Mar 2023

Arpeg wrote:
12 Mar 2023
Not sure if this is what you mean but you can 'chain' patterns together in drum sequence. You can copy a pattern and paste it into another and alter it to taste then right click 'edit automation' and select which patterns plays in which order in the arrangement lane. You have up to eight patterns to chain together.
Tend the flame

Quarmat
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
12 Mar 2023
I do things like that, for example with BeatMap. You can use something like TonicMint's InRange RE to make the generated notes follow a chord progression.
Hi, I just purchased inRange in the recent sale, but i cannot figure out how to have it change according to a chord progression. My config atm is: BeatMap generating midi → InRange filtering incominfg midi to certain scale and key → Europa playing the midi

I cannot understand how to switch to, say, Dminor to Amaj without having to change patch or manually select the notes of the different scale/key whithin InRange interface. Can't find an Operation Manual on the Product page in RS shop.

TL;DR: I want InRange to behave like Scales&Chords when the sequencer or keyb plays another chord, but I do not know how to do it.

crimsonwarlock

13 Mar 2023

Quarmat wrote:
13 Mar 2023
TL;DR: I want InRange to behave like Scales&Chords when the sequencer or keyb plays another chord, but I do not know how to do it.
I set the video below to the timestamp where it is explained:

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Mar 2023

I set the video below to the timestamp where it is explained
I see, so some special routing and Panda's CVPT is needed. I'll try this after work. Thank you CrimsonWarlock!

Arpeg
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2023

visheshl wrote:
13 Mar 2023
Arpeg wrote:
12 Mar 2023
I like using polystep for drums as well...., It works quite well actually....
Nice one.. great for percussion

Arpeg
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2023

Aosta wrote:
13 Mar 2023
Arpeg wrote:
12 Mar 2023
Not sure if this is what you mean but you can 'chain' patterns together in drum sequence. You can copy a pattern and paste it into another and alter it to taste then right click 'edit automation' and select which patterns plays in which order in the arrangement lane. You have up to eight patterns to chain together.
Yes, using the arrangement lane is technically the same thing as using any midi player I guess but the point was/is having that in the midi player itself for a quicker set up which has good use when performing/mixing live and so we don't have to do it manually. Chain, Un-chain at the flick of a switch. One can then take the chained preset pattern into any other track be it old or new. It would be a bit of a fiddle to set up the instrument and midi player in another track and copy and paste the arrangement compared to just loading up the chained preset pattern. Hope that makes sense.

• Information