Kclip Zero (free plugin)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Popey
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2023

I have kclip 3 from kazrog and they now offer a slimmed down free version.

If anyone wants to add a simple clipper to their arsenal the link is here: https://kazrog.com/collections/audio-plugins

crimsonwarlock

08 Mar 2023

Popey wrote:
08 Mar 2023
If anyone wants to add a simple clipper to their arsenal...
Just so nobody misses this, the Gclip rack extension has been free for quite some time now.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... g-clipper/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Mar 2023
Popey wrote:
08 Mar 2023
Just so nobody misses this, the Gclip rack extension has been free for quite some time now.

Nice, I had missed this. Thanks for the heads up 👍

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Mar 2023
Popey wrote:
08 Mar 2023

Something about the way levels are in % instead of dB rubbed me wrong on that clipper. It's Gain knob is in dB, but it's Clip knob (which control the audio threshold where clipping occurs) is in percent. Not only is this an odd scale choice but also puts the lower levels all scrunched into the bottom of the knob, with a full 1/2 of the knobs rotation covering just the top 6 dB of range! And as most audio signals are below - 6 dBFS, this means 1/2 of the control range is immediately lost. (and it's got a tiny display, which is more a bonus than a necessity IMO)
I know, complaining about a FREE clipper is pretty low but it does make it hard to set the clip threshold because you don't see decibel values when setting that control.
For reference, 50% is - 6 dBFS, 25% is -12 dBFS, and 12.5% is -18 dBFS.

But I digress - I got the Box Little Clipper for free with a hardware purchase (Novation or Focusrite IIRC), and the free one mentioned in this thread actually looks much better IMO in that you have decibels for in and out plus the ability to link these control, variable soft clipping, and a huge display. I haven't tried it but you can't beat free in either case - nice to have options. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

08 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Mar 2023

Something about the way levels are in % instead of dB rubbed me wrong on that clipper.
I just mentioned it is free, so some people can pick it up. I use Omega Mastering Clipper myself, which isn't free, but Forgotten Clank tends to give it away during sales (so I got it for free). If anyone cares to wait for a sale, then that's a nice solution as well.

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Mar 2023
selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023

Something about the way levels are in % instead of dB rubbed me wrong on that clipper.
I just mentioned it is free, so some people can pick it up. I use Omega Mastering Clipper myself, which isn't free, but Forgotten Clank tends to give it away during sales (so I got it for free). If anyone cares to wait for a sale, then that's a nice solution as well.

I forgot to mention that it was free, but my point was about the way a control was labeled in % that should have been reading decibels IMO.
Kclip is also free but looks like a far better layout for me. I’m currently OK with Little Clipper from Boz Labs, but am always on the lookout for new toys! ;)
Odd the Omega Mastering Clipper doesn’t have a continuous control for hard/soft clipping like the free version, and puts the link/auto gain control on the back.

I’m finding clippers a useful part of my workflow these days, which involves further application of the approach of doing a little bit of processing at multiple stages throughout the signal path. Typically, tape first, then driving input gain (API Vision Channel from UAD), ending with clipping on the channel, followed by a summing bus (API again), and maybe bus tape simulation and some glue/bus compression. Then there’s the master compressor (SSL) which all are set to do minimal processing of only a few dB at each stage.
Selig Audio, LLC

dusan.cani

09 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Mar 2023

Something about the way levels are in % instead of dB rubbed me wrong on that clipper. It's Gain knob is in dB, but it's Clip knob (which control the audio threshold where clipping occurs) is in percent. Not only is this an odd scale choice but also puts the lower levels all scrunched into the bottom of the knob, with a full 1/2 of the knobs rotation covering just the top 6 dB of range! And as most audio signals are below - 6 dBFS, this means 1/2 of the control range is immediately lost. (and it's got a tiny display, which is more a bonus than a necessity IMO)
I know, complaining about a FREE clipper is pretty low but it does make it hard to set the clip threshold because you don't see decibel values when setting that control.
For reference, 50% is - 6 dBFS, 25% is -12 dBFS, and 12.5% is -18 dBFS.
Maybe It's more suitable for folks who don't bother with numbers so much. For me, Gclip works very well for the purposes when I need to quickly fix the unwanted peaks. I just set the threshold and levels until the peaks are gone and the final signal sounds still fine.

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
09 Mar 2023
Maybe It's more suitable for folks who don't bother with numbers so much. For me, Gclip works very well for the purposes when I need to quickly fix the unwanted peaks. I just set the threshold and levels until the peaks are gone and the final signal sounds still fine.
It’s not just that, it’s that the range is squished all to one side of the knob. The right half covers 6 dB, the left half covers EVERYTHING ELSE. And the most common place for me to set that control is exactly where there’s the LEAST resolution. So even if you’re not looking at the numbers, the knob resolution is unnecessarily low at the point you need it most IMO.
It’s also inconsistent because the other level related knob reads in decibels and not percent. And every other clipper I’ve looked at uses dB for the clip threshold, just like compressors.
And btw, I’m fine with not looking at the numbers, and do it frequently.
Selig Audio, LLC

Popey
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2023

I must admit when using clippers I always have a scope open so I can see the effect. Also handy as on occasion I have noticed samples with large spikes at the start which affect compression. Usually I can get rid of these with a clipper and hear no audible issues as it is so quick.

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2023

Popey wrote:
09 Mar 2023
I must admit when using clippers I always have a scope open so I can see the effect. Also handy as on occasion I have noticed samples with large spikes at the start which affect compression. Usually I can get rid of these with a clipper and hear no audible issues as it is so quick.
Something I learned back in the 80s with sample editing (read it in Keyboard Mag maybe?) was that short term clipping is not often audible, especially on non-pitched instruments. The general useful range is up to around 5 ms of clipping!
This is because we ‘humans’ hear sound as an average over time, so shorter sounds don’t sound as ‘loud’ as a longer version of the same sound at the same peak level. Will be covering this in today’s livestream if anyone’s interested… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Popey
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2023

Apparently the free version does not show how much you have clipped.

Just thought I would mention this as I have the full version so did not check the lite version and assumed it would have this.

visheshl

14 Mar 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
09 Mar 2023
selig wrote:
08 Mar 2023

Correct.
Am i am one of them.... Generative synths (my interest nowadays) might generate some nasty spikes once in a while...you never know....and can't predict when doing a live set...while compressors and limiters often suffice...this would be a good option too...

Hey selig, since you're en experienced engineer, could you please brief me on the difference between a regular limiter and a clipper, id like to be a little more informed on when to use what... please don't be too technical though...i don't understand technical stuff that well...i just need to know when to apply a limiter and when to use a clipper

splitpen

17 Mar 2023

Also freeclip from Venm audio is really great, does up to 32 oversampling. Clipper inside limiter n06 does also works like a charm
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2023

visheshl wrote:
14 Mar 2023
Hey selig, since you're en experienced engineer, could you please brief me on the difference between a regular limiter and a clipper, id like to be a little more informed on when to use what... please don't be too technical though...i don't understand technical stuff that well...i just need to know when to apply a limiter and when to use a clipper
I would say as a matter of “effect strength” in the gain control world, the limiter will be the most aggressive of the dynamics effects, with a brick-wall limiter next, a compressor below that, and fader automation as the most potentially subtle but the most ‘involved’.

I use clipping on percussive/transient individual tracks, and it usually works better with non pitched sources like drums/percussion. A limiter can be more transparent so works better on an entire mix for me. But a limiter needs significant lookahead to perform as well as a clipper at controlling level, so it’s not always the best choice throughout a mix on individual channels. Plus, clippers are simple devices that are a low CPU hit, allowing you to use them more freely just doing a little bit on multiple channels.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information