(Prodigy influenced) - Mythology

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2023

This is the third track in a short time that I've drawn influences from Prodigy. But with this one I haven't taken inspiration from their in-your-face songs that they are typically most known for. I've instead looked more at lesser known songs like Climbatize, Narayan, 3 kilos etc that take another approach.
I've tried my best to make this track a bit longer than usual, taking a slightly more repetitious route. Some of you may know, I suck at making long tracks. :puf_smile:

I might make changes to the track, both mixing and arrangement wise. When I'm done with my current Prodigy inspired phase I'll take the liberty to go back to any track and alter them if I want. And hopefully making some sort of EP/album out of it.

Instruments/synths that I've used for this track: Scenic, Europa, Legend, Parsec, ChamberTron RE, Grain, Zero, Oberon

Chizmata

09 Mar 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Mar 2023
This is the third track in a short time that I've drawn influences from Prodigy. But with this one I haven't taken inspiration from their in-your-face songs that they are typically most known for. I've instead looked more at lesser known songs like Climbatize, Narayan, 3 kilos etc that take another approach.
I've tried my best to make this track a bit longer than usual, taking a slightly more repetitious route. Some of you may know, I suck at making long tracks. :puf_smile:

I might make changes to the track, both mixing and arrangement wise. When I'm done with my current Prodigy inspired phase I'll take the liberty to go back to any track and alter them if I want. And hopefully making some sort of EP/album out of it.

Instruments/synths that I've used for this track: Scenic, Europa, Legend, Parsec, ChamberTron RE, Grain, Zero, Oberon

ok i'm not really into this replica thing, but you just named 3 of my favourite prodigy tracks (even though any from the first 3 albums can be the best, given the day). and you surely forgot to mention weather experience :D.

about the track: the composition is really nice, every element is well-sculpted, especially the acid bassline, and the progression makes a lot of sense. on the negative side i feel like track is really lacking the power in the low mids it would need to realize its full potential.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2023

Chizmata wrote:
09 Mar 2023
ok i'm not really into this replica thing, but you just named 3 of my favourite prodigy tracks (even though any from the first 3 albums can be the best, given the day). and you surely forgot to mention weather experience :D.

about the track: the composition is really nice, every element is well-sculpted, especially the acid bassline, and the progression makes a lot of sense. on the negative side i feel like track is really lacking the power in the low mids it would need to realize its full potential.
Thanks for the listen and comment.
Yes Weather experience is another one of those tracks not talked about too much. :puf_smile:
I just updated the track. I tried to add a lower sequenced bass playing in the background during the acid bassline parts. I might tweak it further or try different sounds or whatever, but I do feel that it filled up some space, making the part less "naked" sounding (for lack of a better word). :puf_smile:

Chizmata

09 Mar 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Mar 2023
Chizmata wrote:
09 Mar 2023

I tried to add a lower sequenced bass playing in the background during the acid bassline parts.
thats actually what i would have suggested, but that change seemed kinda work-heavy. works better now.

Superology

09 Mar 2023

Sounds interesting and I like the name.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2023

Superology wrote:
09 Mar 2023
Sounds interesting and I like the name.
Thanks. Good to hear. :puf_smile:

strangers
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2023

Those squelchy bass lines are too good. I'm assuming the flute-like sound around 1:15 was ChamberTron? The sound instantly stood out. I got a kick out of that especially since I've never been able to find a use for the RE.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2023

strangers wrote:
10 Mar 2023
Those squelchy bass lines are too good. I'm assuming the flute-like sound around 1:15 was ChamberTron? The sound instantly stood out. I got a kick out of that especially since I've never been able to find a use for the RE.
Thanks strangers. Yes the flute is ChamberTron. And also the chords playing at the same time (Harpsichord). The GForce stuff was pretty perfect for this track. I was looking for something old sounding and also something more sampled based as a contrast to the synthy stuff. In this case, drawing inspiration from Prodigy I saw the fact that the instrument was sample based with no round robins as a feature.
I really think all instruments/synths/gear can be useful, even if they objectively seem kind of crappy or limited in some ways. You just have to find the right spot for them and work with their limitations.
I also think the strings from Scenic fit well too. They also had a somewhat old feel to them.

crimsonwarlock

11 Mar 2023

I like this one a lot. The instrumentation and arrangement are spot-on for this track :clap:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Mar 2023
I like this one a lot. The instrumentation and arrangement are spot-on for this track :clap:
Thanks. Appreciate it. I think I went some new places with this one, which is always nice.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2023

Just added some extra bassline notes for the deep bass. Again, rather than look at this track as set in stone I might make small changes to it as I go along.

• Information