(Crusty Instrumental) Obduction

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2023

Recently, I was fiddling around with new ideas and remembered I've got a hard drive full of songs I've never finished. Why not open the vault and finish a few things before creating something new? After scrolling through what seemed like a never-ending list of extremely generically named songs (date as the placeholder names), I picked a song I wrote/recorded from exactly a year ago. The song was 90% complete so it only took a few days to finish up loose ends, mix, master, churn butter, etc.

Here's the end result. Everything was done in Reason 11 Suite. As always, I'm open to any comments, likes, dislikes, criticism, etc.

https://officialstrangers.bandcamp.com/track/obduction

Quarmat
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2023

Sounds great to me, the guitars are tight and powerful, the rythmic part is hitting hard on that nasty time signature and the electronic inserts are glued with the guitars, which is something I always found hard to do in metal.

Well done indeed.

strangers
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2023

Quarmat wrote:
09 Mar 2023
Sounds great to me, the guitars are tight and powerful, the rythmic part is hitting hard on that nasty time signature and the electronic inserts are glued with the guitars, which is something I always found hard to do in metal.

Well done indeed.
Thanks Quarmat. I used to have a lot of trouble blending electronic elements with guitar based music. Now I embrace it, especially when it comes to layering sounds. I'll have more like this in the near future. I was originally working on a short EP of songs similar to this. The same thing happened. I recorded everything, never got around to mixing and the dust built up. I'll probably work on them individually rather than as an EP to avoid letting them stay stagnant and never to be heard.

Chizmata

10 Mar 2023

fantastic work, strangers. it's powerful, gritty and a bit minimalistic in its progression. even i as non-metal-head enjoyed this.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2023

Nice tune. :puf_smile: Good mix of metal and more electronic elements.
The kick is a bit different for this genre. Not the typical clicky kick that cuts through the mix. But at the same it's cool to hear something different.

strangers
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2023

Chizmata wrote:
10 Mar 2023
fantastic work, strangers. it's powerful, gritty and a bit minimalistic in its progression. even i as non-metal-head enjoyed this.
That's cool to hear this had some appeal even for someone that's not into metal. We'll see if I have some others up my sleeve that you'll also like.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Mar 2023
Nice tune. :puf_smile: Good mix of metal and more electronic elements.
The kick is a bit different for this genre. Not the typical clicky kick that cuts through the mix. But at the same it's cool to hear something different.
You've got a good ear. There's a funny (maybe not so funny now that I think about it before typing) story about the kick. While I was editing drums I also realized the kick sounded a bit different than I expected. I checked back to see what I was using and found I mistakenly swapped the original kick for a LinnDrum kick. It kind of worked so I didn't bother backtracking to figure out how that happened. There's another acoustic kick layered in there but the LinnDrum kick was left as the dominant kick.

Auryn

17 Mar 2023

Strangers! Long time no see. I listened to this with interest, I'm not super big into heavy guitars but it sounds great and in particular I liked the part that starts at 0:58 where the time signature (or smth, I'm terrible with music theory I must confide) changes into an irregular loop. I still like your 'spooky' tracks better but this was a quality effort.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

strangers
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2023

Auryn wrote:
17 Mar 2023
Strangers! Long time no see. I listened to this with interest, I'm not super big into heavy guitars but it sounds great and in particular I liked the part that starts at 0:58 where the time signature (or smth, I'm terrible with music theory I must confide) changes into an irregular loop. I still like your 'spooky' tracks better but this was a quality effort.
Time goes way too fast these days. I've been trying to get out of the medical world since the days are like a blur at this point especially when I get around to making music and see prior uploads were from months ago. Maybe one day.. I'll keep dreaming. I appreciate that you gave the song a listen even for not being into guitars that want to fight everyone. This song and the riff you're referring to originally came about while I was messing around with random tunings. I never noted the tuning down so I'd most likely never be able to replay this song without altering parts to make them playable.

There's more spooky tunes to come. I put them aside in an attempt to finish previous songs while I was back on a guitar kick.

Necrovert

11 Apr 2023

Nicely done! And I feel your pain regarding the long list of date names in your project folder. Sometimes I’ll just stare blankly at the file names, and finally just give up and open the song to find like four bars of some lame chord progression.

summon.exe

13 Apr 2023

very solid production and interesting composition. drums sound very good.

mimidancer

13 Apr 2023

it feels like anxiety. very cool.

strangers
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2023

Necrovert wrote:
11 Apr 2023
Nicely done! And I feel your pain regarding the long list of date names in your project folder. Sometimes I’ll just stare blankly at the file names, and finally just give up and open the song to find like four bars of some lame chord progression.
:lol: Those four bars always sounded so much better when they were first created. Listening back turns into a quick delete of the entire session, at least for me. I'll randomly listen to prior unfinished ideas, wonder why I saved it and slap the delete button. Too bad the process never ends and history repeats itself.
summon.exe wrote:
13 Apr 2023
very solid production and interesting composition. drums sound very good.
Thanks! I've been putting extra effort into drums lately since I haven't been thrilled with drums in my prior songs. As long as I'm moving forward and not backward then I'm happy.
mimidancer wrote:
13 Apr 2023
it feels like anxiety. very cool.
Most, if not all, of my music revolves around a specific feeling or memory. Getting it from my head and captured into Reason is the fun but challenging part.

• Information