Combinator programming - switching between 20 instruments with one Combi knob

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dioxide

08 Mar 2023

Agreed, there should be a better way to do this. I hit an issue today where I'm trying to map a 3-value switch (On, Off, Bypass) to a Combi control knob and I had to offset the values until the switch kicked in at the correct value. Having thresholds for each value would have helped.

vi ta lee

08 Mar 2023

Ok, guys. My verdict. I got a formula and calculator)) and 30 minutes took me to program it on 20 samplers. Overall it is not difficult to take time to set all parameters.

The problem, it does not work perfectly. I need to switch every six values. Sometimes it's working fine, but sometimes the program does not allow to mute faster and solo faster and volume automation. For example, both channels' volumes are turned on, and mute remains unaffected on the previous track.

The thing that I thought to use was something like 40 samplers: twenty for one element and 20 for another component. So, I think I am going to do more limited editions. I will update it with ten sounds per each element. Not exactly as I had planned, but essential to get it to work perfectly in time.

Pepin

09 Mar 2023

Here's another method that lets you use a single knob to switch between 16 sources using stock devices.
Like some other solutions mentioned, all devices will receive all notes, so it won't be the most performant.

In this case, I'm using a Thor button and knob routed to Kong's gate and note CV inputs. The gate outputs for Kong's pads are then routed to the level inputs of two 14:2 mixers (16 channels total). The Combinator knob is mapped to the Thor knob but constrained the notes of the Kong pads. You could constrain it further if using less than 16 sources.
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 4.07.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 4.07.03 AM.png (1014.13 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Attachments
Select-16.cmb.zip
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

vi ta lee

09 Mar 2023

Thank you so much for your time and making the comb. I am going to check it out. It's may great solution. I'm not near a computer at the moment, but in my mind, I think this is a fantastic solution. 16 sounds perfect.

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2023

Pepin wrote:
09 Mar 2023
Here's another method that lets you use a single knob to switch between 16 sources using stock devices.
Like some other solutions mentioned, all devices will receive all notes, so it won't be the most performant.

In this case, I'm using a Thor button and knob routed to Kong's gate and note CV inputs. The gate outputs for Kong's pads are then routed to the level inputs of two 14:2 mixers (16 channels total). The Combinator knob is mapped to the Thor knob but constrained the notes of the Kong pads. You could constrain it further if using less than 16 sources.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 4.07.03 AM.png
Now THAT’S a super cool (and smart) solution, fantastic thinking outside the box here!
Selig Audio, LLC

vi ta lee

12 Mar 2023

I'm got some issues with the patch after modification; it's given me some strange effects. But again really fantastic idea. Thank you again for your time. I want to find combinations of what you did and what's inside the combinator.

Here is the video of the Basic module that I worked on, with two sounds, switch. But I am going to update it later. It's done for pitching and extra tricks for hard dance kicks like hairstyle or hardcore. There are many ways to do it today, but I did a module that can fix waveform issues and do interesting flow on the fly.

jam-s

12 Mar 2023

vi ta lee wrote:
12 Mar 2023
It's done for pitching and extra tricks for hard dance kicks like hairstyle or hardcore.
Hey, looks like auto correct came up with an interesting genre idea: A fusion of hair metal and hardstyle. :lol:

vi ta lee

12 Mar 2023

Hahaha. Yes, auto-correct surprises sometimes, lol.

_andreypetr_

12 Mar 2023

Auto-correct GPT

• Information