Most analog sounding filter RE ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
visheshl

06 Mar 2023

Ok so i want to know what is the most analog sounding filter RE on the shop as of now according to you...i feel the need to buy a really really nice filter if its not too expensive.

Kindly suggest...
Im looking for that classic moog style filter

dusan.cani

06 Mar 2023

Ladder Multimode Filter
Parafilter III Sequencer

I love both of them. Very creative devices with tasty, juicy, fat filter flavour. They are also fantastic distortion units.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2023

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

06 Mar 2023

Honestly it depends on what you consider to be "analog" about them. I typically just reach for Pulveriser most of the time. At the time Thor came out I still had my Mini Moog handy, and found Ladder II to compare quite nicely to it FWIW.
[EDIT: Synapse Legend is still the best Mini Moog model of those I've tried, and I even MAY slightly prefer it to the one Moog Music just released - or maybe I'm just more used to it. Anyway, if it's specifically a MiniMoog Ladder Filter you're after, Legend get my vote.]
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

06 Mar 2023

From my perspective, anything that doesn't sound completely crap is useable in the right context :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Loque

06 Mar 2023

If the filter sounds good, use it.

I am not sure if an external filter is the best thing for sound design. Yesterday i played around with Dune3 and wa sagain blown away of the differentoutcome of the different filter modes and i ended up with a Analog Modeled 12dB LPF which was the right thing i was looking for. But i tweaked a little bit with another EQ, some drive and different multi band distortions. The result was exactly what i was trying to get. So the conclusion is, often it is not enough just to use a filter, even if it tasts good. So try the filter and combine it with another EQ and maybe some nice multiband distortion if it you do not have the right distortion at your hand.

I also made a few Combinator2 for some synth filters if you own the synths:
Legend
VK2
SnakeBite
Thor
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

06 Mar 2023

May be try to test State-Variable filters? As historical part of analog filters with more possible variations
Try our ASVF-212 as example, with self-oscillation. More available filters in hands - better possible selection of filter characters, from time to time

selig
RE Developer

06 Mar 2023

visheshl wrote:
06 Mar 2023
Ok so i want to know what is the most analog sounding filter RE on the shop as of now according to you...i feel the need to buy a really really nice filter if its not too expensive.

Kindly suggest...
Im looking for that classic moog style filter
Quick reminder: they are asking specifically for a Moog style filter, though it's not in the subject line (I missed it too on first read).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

dusan.cani

06 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
06 Mar 2023

Quick reminder: they are asking specifically for a Moog style filter, though it's not in the subject line (I missed it too on first read).
:)
Does this sound enough "moogy" for him ? :-)

juicy-filter.mp3
(629.58 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Guess what filter it is :mrgreen:

dioxide

06 Mar 2023

I was going to suggest the Synapse Analogue filter. Sounds good to me and the drive is lovely.

Voyager

06 Mar 2023

They're great, second that.

challism

06 Mar 2023

Not this one. I'm sure it's a fine digital filter, though.
Digital.jpg
Digital.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 757 times
If you want a Moogish type filter, you might give a Moog emulation a shot; something like Blamsoft VK-1 & Vk-2 audio input/through are nice. For stand alone filters you don't have to route through a synth, maybe Synapse AF-4 and Blamsoft F-16 would fit the bill.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dioxide

06 Mar 2023

Any thoughts on the Blamsoft filter? Apparently it includes the filter from VK-1.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... og-filter/

Here's the Synapse one I mentioned earlier. It's a ladder filter design:

challism

06 Mar 2023

dioxide wrote:
06 Mar 2023
Any thoughts on the Blamsoft filter? Apparently it includes the filter from VK-1.
Typical amazing Blamsoft product. Look at all those filters you get.
blam.jpg
blam.jpg (90.07 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moalla

07 Mar 2023

dioxide wrote:
06 Mar 2023
For me F16 is still the king of resonances, this discussion triggered me so much I must give this little monster a try with it´s env feeded by pulsar.
So what´s the special hack with this multisignal input filter, every env input could be controlled by it´s own signal, when you feed the second env input with the env trigger output of the env trigger modul from pulsar you get this special open close squeshy filter effect i know from the denon rmx effect and expensive mixers, in this case could be controlled lfo - beatsynchron or like in my example, triggerd by the switch. But after it, for a more analogish sound some reverb and Pulsar´s multimode ladder to have a bandpass after sounds like the ideal partner. In this chain it can also work as stutter effect.....
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

reasonosaer

08 Mar 2023

i'd suggest trying the demo versions of the following if you haven't tried already. these are just the standalone filters i use that are models of analog designs or sound like it, as others have pointed out several instruments and other REs incorporate very good filters.

blamsoft f-16 and blamco, uberwave d-filter, primal audio moog and ms-20 style filters, synapse af-4, lab one z-plane, fxpansion etch red, the 3 khs RE filters, red rock polyvoks, and the ekss grey filters and the standalone one from the es-01

• Information