Make "Run" on Pattern Devices Assignable to Combinator Buttons

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
aMUSiC

02 Mar 2023

Currently, Combinator buttons can only be assigned to Enable/Disable patterns on Pattern devices (such as Matrix and Redrum), with the additional option to include a "Run Pattern Devices" button that triggers the Run button in all Pattern devices in the combinator simultaneously.

I would love a feature inclusion where you can target the "Run" button on the Pattern devices directly (assignable to any Combinator button or switch).

The reason behind this is that I would like to be able to control each pattern device separately and be able to turn it on or off mid-pattern. Right now if I enable a pattern, it will kick in on the next half-pattern iteration, and when I stop it it will stop when the current half-pattern iteration ends.

This is useful for live performances where timing of fiddling with the patterns is critical

QVprod

02 Mar 2023

This is possible already. In fact there was a run button included by default on the old combinator.

For Reason 12, in the combinator editor click on configure. You then click on the play button next to run. It’s automatically assigned to every device with a Run function.

aMUSiC

04 Mar 2023

QVprod wrote:
02 Mar 2023
This is possible already. In fact there was a run button included by default on the old combinator.

For Reason 12, in the combinator editor click on configure. You then click on the play button next to run. It’s automatically assigned to every device with a Run function.
I’m afraid you misread my post. I know there is a run pattern devices button both on the old and the new combinator, but that’s not what I’m looking for. Let’s say that I have 5 matrix pattern sequencers, each one assigned to a different instrument. I don’t want one button to start all 5 of them simultaneously, but 5 separate buttons that allow me to turn them on and off individually, at the exact time I want them to.

lowtom

05 Mar 2023

Does it have to be controlled via Combinator?
What about directly mapping "Run" button to MIDI or Key button?

Still +1 for request. Overall RS should include all buttons and knobs on all devices to be available for mapping in Combinator and MIDI.
:reason: :refill: :re:

dioxide

05 Mar 2023

I also think this would be useful. The RUN and BYPASS FX buttons are here to stay but at least let them be overridden or remapped if the user want to do so. For example you could map the RUN button to Receive Notes.

aMUSiC

05 Mar 2023

lowtom wrote:
05 Mar 2023
Does it have to be controlled via Combinator?
What about directly mapping "Run" button to MIDI or Key button?

Still +1 for request. Overall RS should include all buttons and knobs on all devices to be available for mapping in Combinator and MIDI.
My approach for live gigs is that I have a single song file with all my remote override maps for EQ/volume etc, and a single combinator on the rack. Then for each different song we have in the set list, I have a combinator patch (and I name the patch filenames accordingly using numbers so that I can load them sequentially).

This helps me perform really fast song changes (less than 2 second ones) so the gig is pretty seamless instead of the rest of the band members having to wait for me to load the next song on the laptop, then close the previous reason instance which takes a lot of time, plus I do that entirely through my midi controller and get feedback on my controller’s lcd screen about which patch is loaded.

Then inside each patch, I have all the sounds for the respective song, the splits, and buttons to switch instruments on and off.

So yeah, unfortunately Run device remote overrides per pattern device are only saved on the song level, and not on the combinator patch level, hence my feature request

• Information