[SOLVED] Window Tabs Questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MassiveSoundStudios

03 Mar 2023

It's been a while since Iv'e done any serious work using Reason, and just updated to 12.5 for a project I'm about to begin next week. With regards to the new(ish) window tabs feature. I find if I close a project file, or quit and restart Reason, the window tabs do not remember their arrangement layout, and they all merge into one window. I have a multi screen setup in my studio, and would like the reason file to remember it's last saved state with regards to the window layout and arrangement. I hope I'm just missing a hidden preference or menu item that will allow for this. As it currently stands, searching the application, reading the manual, google search, and forum searches have left me with no solution to this.

In my forum search, I also came across a post from Giles (aka @selig, long time, I hope you've been keeping well Giles :-) ) where he mentioned something about being able to multiple tabs open for the same device, like Complex-1. So you can essentially have the same instrument in two different tabs, that are in different states (cable view and no cable view).

I've also noticed that VSTs, especially the resizable ones, tend to mess up the window and tab arrangement. Instead of popping open in a brand new plugin window, they will open in a new tab (in the rack) which totally messes up the window size of the rack, and I have to pop the VST3 out of the rack tab, and resize the rack window. This slows down my workflow quite a bit. Is there a way to prevent this from happening, or is this a bug?

So, if I could politely ask for someone to chime in here and offer a solution that allows for remembering the window layout and arrangement, it would be much appreciate. Even if this is not possible, at least someone could confirm this.

I also a few other questions and issues with regards to error messages upon booting Reason (like "Reason quit unexpectedly" multiple times, but Reason never actually quits, thank goodness), and a graphics issue that haven't been fixed, and in fact have gotten worse (which I reported to Props themselves, when Reason 12 was newer), but I don't want to muddy up this topic. I do plan on writing up a proper support ticket for these graphics issues especially, once I get a little more time.

Jan 2004

crimsonwarlock

03 Mar 2023

MassiveSoundStudios wrote:
03 Mar 2023
I have a multi screen setup in my studio, and would like the reason file to remember it's last saved state with regards to the window layout and arrangement.
On my Windows 10 setup with three screens, Reason loads the window configuration for each project, in the last saved state of each project. Even if I have the additional screens not switched on while loading the project, I need to switch them on to see the windows that were placed there when opening the project.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MassiveSoundStudios

03 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Mar 2023

On my Windows 10 setup with three screens, Reason loads the window configuration for each project, in the last saved state of each project. Even if I have the additional screens not switched on while loading the project, I need to switch them on to see the windows that were placed there when opening the project.
That’s weird, so there must be something going on, on my end. I’m using Mac OS Catalina on an older Mac Pro (trash can). I wonder if there’s a preference file I could delete or something.

Jan 2004

jam-s

03 Mar 2023

If you want new songs to start with a custom layout you should save the layout as a template song and set Reason preferences to use it.

MassiveSoundStudios

03 Mar 2023

jam-s wrote:
03 Mar 2023
If you want new songs to start with a custom layout you should save the layout as a template song and set Reason preferences to use it.
I totally understand the merit of working with templates, but this isn’t the case, even a template with the layout saved the way I like, will open with all windows merged into one window with 3 tabs, the mixer, the rack, and the sequencer.

Jan 2004

jam-s

03 Mar 2023

That's strange for me on W10 it's working as it should.

tobypearce

08 Mar 2023

I'm having exactly the op's experience.

I'm on a laptop, so only one screen. When I open a VST, Reason opens it in a new tab, sized according to the UI of that VST. When I close the VST, the main Reason window stays within this new, much smaller window size so I have to maximise it again, every time. It's quite annoying, and I haven't found how to switch this off. I don't remember this happening on my studio computer - same Mac OS and Reason version.

I feel like I'm missing something simple.

Any ideas?
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

tobypearce

08 Mar 2023

I figured it out.

I nearly deleted my post, but just in case anyone else stumbles on this issue, it's in MacOS system preferences, general, and set "prefer tabs when opening documents" to never.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

MassiveSoundStudios

08 Mar 2023

tobypearce wrote:
08 Mar 2023
I figured it out.

I nearly deleted my post, but just in case anyone else stumbles on this issue, it's in MacOS system preferences, general, and set "prefer tabs when opening documents" to never.
Thank you so much for finding this Toby. I couldn't find this preference setting under System Preferences>General, but rather under System Preferences>Dock in Mac OS 10.15.7. I also don't have an option for "never" under "Prefer tabs when opening documents:". I only have: "Always", "In Full Screen Only", and "Manually". Changing it to "In Full Screen Only" seemed to fix the issue. I found the issue was pretty consistent with VST3 plugins who's windows are resizable. Anyways, plugin windows now open as expected. I do see merit in having certain plugins in their own tabs, but only when desired, not as a default. So thank you for chiming in here and providing a solution.

Jan 2004

LittleBoy

13 Mar 2023

tobypearce wrote:
08 Mar 2023
I figured it out.

This option does not solve the problem for me. Many VST3's still open in tabs if I work in full screen mode even if I disable the "prefer tabs when opening documents" option. The truth is that it's very annoying, and I'm afraid it's a matter of Reason 12.5 onwards, because in more than 20 years it had never happened to me, and now it happens to me with plugins that I used before without problems.

• Information