In which instance single core and multi core performances matter most ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Voyager

01 Mar 2023

Hello Reasoners,

Lets debunk this subject. In Reason specificaly in which instance single core performance is preferred over multi core performance and vice-versa ?

Take the following with a pinch of salt but from what i've learned is that the cpu specifications quite depend on the type of project you're used to work with. So if your projects generaly have few tracks but with lots of effects and devices per track then single core performance matter most. On the contrary if your project usually contains a lot of tracks but with minimal effects and devices per track then the more core you have the better.

Discuss :-)

Aquila

02 Mar 2023

It'll vary from system to system. It's merely an option to find the most efficient usage of available hardware.

bilgebeans

06 Mar 2023

It will be different on various platforms. It's just another way to maximize productivity with the tools at your disposal.

[color=#F9F9F9geometry dash lite[/color]

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2023

Well, imho these are things where the greater the better on both aspects...

This is put in a manner of don'ts instead of do's and my view is that you don't want any of the extremes...
You don't want a cpu with a great single core rate and have 2 cores, and you don't want a 64 core machine with a really low single core rate.
But while you can find a lot of the latter on Server CPU's, there aren't many cpu models with a crazy single core performance and a small cpu count.

Anyway, with the new architecture in M1, M2 and Intel Gen12 and 13, this should not be an issue as most of the cpu's have a good single core performance rate and are all well above 2 cores (i don't think there isn't even a 12 and 13 gen I3 with less than 4 cores).

Base rule here is have a great single core performance and aim at least at 4 cores, and if you can get the latest gen of any of the brands, Mac's, Intel or AMD (or the 2 lastes ones). Anyway, i can vouch here in my studio that intels are working really well.

veezay
RE Developer

10 Mar 2023

Voyager wrote:
01 Mar 2023
So if your projects generaly have few tracks but with lots of effects and devices per track then single core performance matter most. On the contrary if your project usually contains a lot of tracks but with minimal effects and devices per track then the more core you have the better.
This can be true in a case where the effects are connected in series, so that a single core must process each effect before it can process the next one, whereas if you have a lot of independent tracks and/or effects in parallel which are possible to process simultaneously, you get the advantages of having several cores. It's not usually that simple either.

As mcatalao pointed out, better to have a bit of both and not concentrate on just either one.

• Information