Dear Ryan Harlin

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
scotward57

26 Jan 2023

As I watched the Jamuary Collaboration video on YouTube, I was struck by your stated goal of getting some recording project(s) done. You also kept asking for ideas for future tutorials.

Obviously, you have a serious desire to tend to the needs of your own music, that feeling we all have with folders of unfinished music, unfinished ideas and such.

I'd like to see you take that journey of finishing your unfinished business and share that journey along the way. Maybe make a series out of it! I'm willing to bet that as you pull out those unfinished songs/ideas, you'll find a treasure trove of teachable moments that the Reason community would benefit from. You can talk about the struggles you've had along the way and more importantly, what decisions you made as an artist to get unstuck, to complete a song, and maybe share what Reason devices did you use along the way or how you used Reason to accomplish your recording goals.

What I'm suggesting is that you don't have to assume that your list of personal musical goals and that list of tutorial ideas for the Reason community are mutually exclusive things. Trust your instincts on this! Your calling for getting back to your own music and finishing unfinished business and you sharing that journey may just be the very thing that the Reason community needs to hear from you the most!!

crimsonwarlock

27 Jan 2023

Highly agree. I learned the most about Reason by watching livestreams where guys like Adam Fielding and Moog Lee let you watch them work on their projects. Ryan is also a powerhouse of Reason production knowledge, so just watching him work on a song would be the best tutorial we could get.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Tiny Montgomery

27 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Highly agree. I learned the most about Reason by watching livestreams where guys like Adam Fielding and Moog Lee let you watch them work on their projects. Ryan is also a powerhouse of Reason production knowledge, so just watching him work on a song would be the best tutorial we could get.
Shout out for Moog Lee, he deserves more followers and views.

crimsonwarlock

27 Jan 2023

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Shout out for Moog Lee, he deserves more followers and views.
Absolutely :thumbup:

His streams are pure gold. I love it how he is actively composing but takes the time to explain what he is doing. He's also not doing one style, instead he goes across all genres all the time (because he can :clap: ). Totally crazy that he has, like, 20 or 30 views on most of his stream videos. Reason Studios should make him an ambassador. There are only so few of those guys who are actually knowledgeable on both Reason use and music theory, and are taking the time to stream this.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

05 Feb 2023

Wow! Thanks for starting this thread and even though your suggestion is partially based around wanting to see me work and learn any tricks I know along the way — I also appreciate that it's partially based on supporting my desire to finish tracks for my own enjoyment. :)

The one big hiccup in your suggestion is that the stuff I want to finish up and record isn't the electronic or pop-styled music I make. The stuff on my big finish list is my acoustic music I do. Acoustic guitars, banjos, that kinda stuff.

So I'm not sure if the Reason community would tolerate watching me make a style of music they don't like and hardly using any Reason synths or effects. But I'll consider your suggestion — it just might be something for me to do on a personal channel instead of the official Reason Studios channel. That way people can watch if they want without feeling like "hey when is he going to get to adding FM Synthesis growl bass to this banjo song!?!" :D

-008'

05 Feb 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
05 Feb 2023

So I'm not sure if the Reason community would tolerate watching me make a style of music they don't like
Many of us have tolerated or are currently still tolerating all the pop, techno, dance edm stuff.
So i say play a banjo, why not? :thumbup:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

BRIGGS

05 Feb 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
05 Feb 2023
"hey when is he going to get to adding FM Synthesis growl bass to this banjo song!?!" :D
Wen growly bass banjo? :puf_smile:
r11s

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

05 Feb 2023

-008' wrote:
05 Feb 2023
Many of us have tolerated or are currently still tolerating all the pop, techno, dance edm stuff.
Real question: what genres do you want to see better represented? The tricky part on some of the music I do for these videos is that I'm doing the music quickly because I think ANY music is better than no music. This latest video about the Groove Mixer is a perfect example. Most of the video is just drum beats but at the end I was like "well I can't just do drums only through the whole video" so I quickly fleshed out some idea with guitars, rhodes, and bass. But when I do those quick musical examples, in order to be quick I end up falling back on my own musical instincts which obviously has a genre bias to it (as we all do).

But if I'm trying to be more inclusive, what genres should I be pushing myself to make in those moments when I need to make a backing track for a video just to keep it more interesting that single instruments or drums being used in the example?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
05 Feb 2023
Real question: what genres do you want to see better represented? The tricky part on some of the music I do for these videos is that I'm doing the music quickly because I think ANY music is better than no music. This latest video about the Groove Mixer is a perfect example. Most of the video is just drum beats but at the end I was like "well I can't just do drums only through the whole video" so I quickly fleshed out some idea with guitars, rhodes, and bass. But when I do those quick musical examples, in order to be quick I end up falling back on my own musical instincts which obviously has a genre bias to it (as we all do).

But if I'm trying to be more inclusive, what genres should I be pushing myself to make in those moments when I need to make a backing track for a video just to keep it more interesting that single instruments or drums being used in the example?
I can of course only speak for myself here, but I care less about what specific genre someone is doing. To me it's just interesting to observe another music creators workflow and especially hearing about their thought process and decision making while creating music. There are many tips and tricks that I've learned and used in other contexts far removed from its original genre/source.
So I say follow you're own/Reason Studios advice: Sound like you. :puf_smile:

jam-s

05 Feb 2023

I'd love for Ryan to go full-on kawaii metal next time including the proper props. :twisted:

Aosta

05 Feb 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
05 Feb 2023
The stuff on my big finish list is my acoustic music I do. Acoustic guitars, banjos, that kinda stuff.
That's it, Radical Banjo RE confirmed :thumbup: ;)
Tend the flame

MuttReason

05 Feb 2023

Ryan, great to hear from you here, and I really liked the groove tutorial video you just did. I think it would be helpful to see you work through *any* song in *any* genre. I get the impression that a fair number of us (on RT anyway) produce music across a wide range of genres. Most people may not be tracking and mixing 12-piece blues bands (at least not in Reason) but from past threads I’d say there are definitely quite a few multi-instrumentalists (including me). And as you know Reason is good for a lot more beyond EDM etc (although it is *really* good for that too). I’m sure whatever you did would be interesting.

crimsonwarlock

06 Feb 2023

Same here. It is more about workflow and 'tips and tricks' that you use while working on a song. And your preferred genre will show things that aren't obvious doing another music style. Things get interesting where worlds meet.
-------

dan_g

06 Feb 2023

i also would like to chime in. do the stuff you really love and let the work speak for it self. it really does not matter what kind of genre it is in the end. maybe you even hook someone on new style the never even thought of listening to.

i appreciate all the hard work that goes into any genre. and seeing the process just lets me appreciate it even more.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

-008'

06 Feb 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
05 Feb 2023
-008' wrote:
05 Feb 2023

No need to ask me that because you'll never use what i like! :D I have recreated Live Zappa songs, all Reason ITB; I have written complete Rap songs about Reason.. i have offered and sent them all to you guys over the years. You don't want what i want represented, but that's ok and it's exactly my point here - you don't have to cater to me and my ears. Or anyone else's!

You only need to showcase the: capabilities and possibilities of the software. Musicians are mostly open to new sounds these days so i think we all can just chill and watch and appreciate the ideas.. and seeing our software of interest in use. I would argue that DAW users watching DAW videos don't care much about the music but rather the details of the gear. (for me personally i am usually watching with a "ok, sell me on this" or "teach me something" attitude)

I guess i mean that you should just DO YOU! If we're on a banjo vid one day, well then let that lend some lessons for: live tracking, levels, latency, or let's turn a banjo into a bass!, etc..

Hey If the EDM crowd doesn't like it they can always just "push a button" and close the video. :puf_bigsmile:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

scotward57

10 Feb 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
05 Feb 2023
Wow! Thanks for starting this thread and even though your suggestion is partially based around wanting to see me work and learn any tricks I know along the way — I also appreciate that it's partially based on supporting my desire to finish tracks for my own enjoyment. :)

The one big hiccup in your suggestion is that the stuff I want to finish up and record isn't the electronic or pop-styled music I make. The stuff on my big finish list is my acoustic music I do. Acoustic guitars, banjos, that kinda stuff.

So I'm not sure if the Reason community would tolerate watching me make a style of music they don't like and hardly using any Reason synths or effects. But I'll consider your suggestion — it just might be something for me to do on a personal channel instead of the official Reason Studios channel. That way people can watch if they want without feeling like "hey when is he going to get to adding FM Synthesis growl bass to this banjo song!?!" :D
So glad you responded to this thread Ryan! As you can see, there are enough of us who trust you and your music wherever it takes you. Who knows, maybe your acoustic music might become inspiration (source material???) for others in the Reason community that want to do remixes, make samples, patches, etc. just a thought.

More than anything, I'm glad you brought up your personal music goals/ ambitions and shared that with the community. You've earned the trust and respect of the community to where we don't just see you as just a "YouTube Reason Tutorial Guru" but also a talented musician in need of getting your own music out there. DO IT!!

DaveyG

10 Feb 2023

Ryan is playing hard to get and hoping that we don't discover his deepest, darkest secret - for his acoustic stuff he doesn't use Reason at all. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

motuscott

10 Feb 2023

I hear he records his acoustic stuff sound on sound with a 70's era dictaphone.
And then runs it through Reason just to confuse us.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

scotward57

10 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote:
10 Feb 2023
Ryan is playing hard to get and hoping that we don't discover his deepest, darkest secret - for his acoustic stuff he doesn't use Reason at all. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That's totally possible. If I were playing in a live old school rock band, I don't know if I would want any computer involvement, let alone Reason. I would probably want someone else to handle production chores.

Also, if Reason Studios was my day job, maybe I would want a brief escape from it - like how I recently bought an AKAI MPC One just so I can escape the computer and feel more musically creative. Never thought of it that way!

Murf
RE Developer

14 Apr 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
05 Feb 2023

Melodic death metal :)

moneykube

14 Apr 2023

Murf wrote:
14 Apr 2023
Melodic death metal :)
:lol:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information