UA Volt Audio Interface is AMAZING!!!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
FrankJaeger

08 Feb 2023

Hey ya'll,
A couple months ago I decided to pick up a new audio interface (had previously been using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) and came across the UA Volt 176. The draw to this particular interface was the fact it had the legendary 1176 compressor built into it. Up until this point I had always recorded Vox completely dry and then processed them in the DAW. It intrigued me so I picked it up and let me tell you, unless it breaks down and fails to work, I'll NEVER switch from this audio interface for my home studio.

UA is known for their quality interfaces stemming from their desktop Apollos line and this is a more budget friendly "entry level" device if you will. However, don't let the cheaper price tag fool you. This thing sounds great!!! I connected it to my Neumann TLM-102 microphone and got to work.

Firstly, let's talk about the compressor. With a push of a button, you can switch between 3 compressor settings which are Vox, Guitar, or Fast. I've only used the Vox setting so far as that's the main reason I use audio interfaces in the first place. The 1176 adds punch and presence to your Vox going into the daw and as expected tames the peaks of a very dynamic performance. The compression is very transparent while at the same time you'd notice a difference if it was turned off.

The the next feature I want to discuss is the "Vintage" mode the interface has. When you activate this mode, it runs your incoming signal through tube modeled circuitry that adds some saturation and color to your recording. I personally like this on my Vox cause it helps them cut through the mix without any extra EQ and gives your Vox a little more body. It sounds wonderful to my ears.

Lastly, as with most audio interfaces, it comes bundled with some software and plugins. My favorite one of these plugins so far is the Relab Development lx480 essentials reverb based on the legendary Lexicon 480L reverb and my oh my does this reverb sound good. You can hear it in action on the track in my signature if you are really curious.

(TLDR) To sum it all up if you're in the market for a new audio interface, you most certainly can't go wrong with this one. The Volt 176 is the little brother in the Volt line of interfaces and has 1 input and 2 outputs for your monitors. If you need more inputs the Volt line has you covered with I believe up to 4 inputs on the most expensive one with individual compressors and tube modeling on each channel. Ya'll should really check it out. :thumbup:
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

demt

08 Feb 2023

Audiophile-grade Specifications

The specifications of the Sound BlasterX G6 are impressive. It serves as a 32-bit / 384 kHz** DAC with an ultra-high dynamic range of 130 dB. The DAC features an oversampled multi-bit modulator with mismatch shaping technology that eliminates distortion, ensuring that audio is streamed with the highest level of detail and fidelity. The Sound BlasterX G6 also supports hi-res PCM and DoP audio formats.
im in luv with the modern world
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

MuttReason

08 Feb 2023

Yep. Big UAD fan here. I started off with an Arrow interface and have just traded in a bunch of gear to buy and Apollo X4 which I absolutely love. UAD plugins in Unison mode for tracking are just extraordinary.

I don’t have a Volt interface but have heard good things about them as a native plugin alternative to the UAD plugin platform that runs on SHARC chips inside Apollo interfaces. UAD are really really good at nailing the sound of vintage hardware in their plugins whether native (UADx) or designed for the Apollo range (UAD2).

What’s good about UAD isn’t just that they make quality gear, as a company they’re also pretty responsive and engaged with their customers. Like RS, a lot of the key people in the business are musicians, producers and engineers themselves and it shows in how they interact with the people who use their products. Check out the UAD forum and you will see what I mean, it’s a helpful place with good people (similar to this site in that respect).

Side point but I judge a company’s products almost as much by how they communicate with and listen to their customers as by the product itself. I finally gave up on Akai and sold my MPC Live 2 for that reason… product was great when it worked but then Akai screwed up a major firmware upgrade and the MPC was more full of bugs and glitches than any computer I’ve ever owned. The fact there was zero customer comms from Akai throughout sealed the deal, and that was that. I no longer trusted them. Companies like UAD (and, with the odd lapse, RS) are in a different league in that sense.

FrankJaeger

08 Feb 2023

MuttReason wrote:
08 Feb 2023
Yep. Big UAD fan here. I started off with an Arrow interface and have just traded in a bunch of gear to buy and Apollo X4 which I absolutely love. UAD plugins in Unison mode for tracking are just extraordinary.

I don’t have a Volt interface but have heard good things about them as a native plugin alternative to the UAD plugin platform that runs on SHARC chips inside Apollo interfaces. UAD are really really good at nailing the sound of vintage hardware in their plugins whether native (UADx) or designed for the Apollo range (UAD2).

What’s good about UAD isn’t just that they make quality gear, as a company they’re also pretty responsive and engaged with their customers. Like RS, a lot of the key people in the business are musicians, producers and engineers themselves and it shows in how they interact with the people who use their products. Check out the UAD forum and you will see what I mean, it’s a helpful place with good people (similar to this site in that respect).

Side point but I judge a company’s products almost as much by how they communicate with and listen to their customers as by the product itself. I finally gave up on Akai and sold my MPC Live 2 for that reason… product was great when it worked but then Akai screwed up a major firmware upgrade and the MPC was more full of bugs and glitches than any computer I’ve ever owned. The fact there was zero customer comms from Akai throughout sealed the deal, and that was that. I no longer trusted them. Companies like UAD (and, with the odd lapse, RS) are in a different league in that sense.
I agree 100%. The way you treat your customers is a big issue that a lot of companies have. If you have a question or a problem, some companies act like you're an annoyance or a bother to deal with; and that's if they even reply to you at all.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

crimsonwarlock

08 Feb 2023

FrankJaeger wrote:
08 Feb 2023
The draw to this particular interface was the fact it had the legendary 1176 compressor built into it. Up until this point I had always recorded Vox completely dry and then processed them in the DAW.
Having a good vocal chain outside of the DAW makes a big difference imo. My audio interface is a Scarlett 18i20 (paired with an Octopre). It has great pre-amps but no other FX build-in. For that, I have a DBX 286s, wich is a full hardware vocal chain.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

FrankJaeger

09 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Feb 2023
FrankJaeger wrote:
08 Feb 2023
The draw to this particular interface was the fact it had the legendary 1176 compressor built into it. Up until this point I had always recorded Vox completely dry and then processed them in the DAW.
Having a good vocal chain outside of the DAW makes a big difference imo. My audio interface is a Scarlett 18i20 (paired with an Octopre). It has great pre-amps but no other FX build-in. For that, I have a DBX 286s, wich is a full hardware vocal chain.
Sheeeeesh! You have the 18i20? What are you recording, an orchestra?
But yeah, compressing on the way in is my new official protocol.
Also, I've been following your new studio build too. It looks really good so far.You'd have a good hearty laugh if you saw what passes for a studio in my humble little bedroom.
Midniite Music

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2023

FrankJaeger wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Nah. I just used to have quite a bit of outboard gear (still have some), and I wanted to have everything directly available in my DAW. The OctoPre adds another eight inputs and outputs that are dedicated to hardware FX send/returns.
FrankJaeger wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Also, I've been following your new studio build too. It looks really good so far.You'd have a good hearty laugh if you saw what passes for a studio in my humble little bedroom.
Believe me, I've been there too :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MuttReason

09 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Feb 2023

A bit OT but the dbx286s is a great bit of gear. I traded mine a while ago for a Focusrite TrakMaster (similar 1U channel strip concept as the 286s but with more bells and whistles) and I wish I hadn’t, the 286s was much easier when it came to dialling in a good vocal sound for tracking.

That said my Focusrite TrakMaster is now stored away in my ‘just in case’ gear cupboard and no longer hooked up as the UAD Apollo gear is so good. Tracking through the Apollo is pretty much the same as via a hardware channel strip but with fewer actual knobs to tweak. Not that that matters much because once I get a setup that works, job done. Save and load every time.

BTW I am also following your studio build avidly and with serious studio space envy!! Between you and Selig you’re going to force me to move house at this rate :-)

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2023

MuttReason wrote:
09 Feb 2023
A bit OT but the dbx286s is a great bit of gear. I traded mine a while ago for a Focusrite TrakMaster (similar 1U channel strip concept as the 286s but with more bells and whistles) and I wish I hadn’t, the 286s was much easier when it came to dialling in a good vocal sound for tracking.
Agreed. I bought the DBX based on online reviews, and it turned out even better than expected. I have it paired with a Rode NT1 mic, and dialing in is super easy.
MuttReason wrote:
09 Feb 2023
BTW I am also following your studio build avidly and with serious studio space envy!! Between you and Selig you’re going to force me to move house at this rate :-)
My studio build topic seems to have that effect on several members here :puf_bigsmile:
-------

selig
RE Developer

20 Feb 2023

FrankJaeger wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Orchestral recording is more often done with a pair (or two) main mics, and a few spot mics if needed.
Modern music, OTOH, uses WAY more microphones to cover all possibilities/instruments.
For example, I have 32 inputs (not all filled) right now, with everything in the studio connected so I can quickly move from instrument to instrument with everything connected and levels/EQ already set and ready to do - just hit record. It’s not uncommon to use 10-20 mics alone on drums. I currently have 11 on my kit (with only two toms).
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

20 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
20 Feb 2023
I currently have 11 on my kit (with only two toms).
Come on Giles, now you're just bragging :lol:

:puf_bigsmile:
-------

RobC

20 Feb 2023

That one was in my consideration, too, because an analog compressor still has the advantage of not being digitized.

However, it would be nicer to have more flexibility when it comes to settings.

gkillmaster

20 Feb 2023

I'm curious about the Volt 276. Right now I'm using my Scarlett 2i2 paired with an iConnectMIDI2+ interface. The great thing about the iConnecMIDI2+ is that it has a stereo audio passthrough which makes it super easy to use with my iPad. If I were to repalce this aggregate device with the Volt, would I be able to pass audio directly to and from my desktop like I can with the iConnectMIDI2+ ?

From what I can gather, the Volt 276 might have all the functionality of both my devices which would be really nice.

FrankJaeger

20 Feb 2023

RobC wrote:
20 Feb 2023
That one was in my consideration, too, because an analog compressor still has the advantage of not being digitized.

However, it would be nicer to have more flexibility when it comes to settings.
I agree.
I would've liked at a minimum a couple of knobs for attack and release, but what you get is more like a few presets in a vst. Still, most of the audio interfaces I've seen in this price range don't offer compressor options at all so I fell UA did more than a decent job with what's offered on hand.
Midniite Music

FrankJaeger

20 Feb 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
20 Feb 2023
I'm curious about the Volt 276. Right now I'm using my Scarlett 2i2 paired with an iConnectMIDI2+ interface. The great thing about the iConnecMIDI2+ is that it has a stereo audio passthrough which makes it super easy to use with my iPad. If I were to repalce this aggregate device with the Volt, would I be able to pass audio directly to and from my desktop like I can with the iConnectMIDI2+ ?

From what I can gather, the Volt 276 might have all the functionality of both my devices which would be really nice.
I still have and love the Scarlett 2i2 but that doesn't have any midi options. The Volt 76s DO have midi in/out ports on the back for your synths and stuff. I don't know anything about the iconnnect or what it offers so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there.
Midniite Music

FrankJaeger

20 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
20 Feb 2023
FrankJaeger wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Orchestral recording is more often done with a pair (or two) main mics, and a few spot mics if needed.
Modern music, OTOH, uses WAY more microphones to cover all possibilities/instruments.
For example, I have 32 inputs (not all filled) right now, with everything in the studio connected so I can quickly move from instrument to instrument with everything connected and levels/EQ already set and ready to do - just hit record. It’s not uncommon to use 10-20 mics alone on drums. I currently have 11 on my kit (with only two toms).
You must have a huge studio to work in. I couldn't fathom having all that gear. Not because I don't want it, but because I'm broke as a joke and couldn't afford it... :lol:
Midniite Music

crimsonwarlock

21 Feb 2023

FrankJaeger wrote:
20 Feb 2023
I couldn't fathom having all that gear. Not because I don't want it, but because I'm broke as a joke and couldn't afford it... :lol:
My home studio didn't happen at once. I didn't go out, buy all the equipment and set up a studio. All my equipment I bought new, but most of it is at least 25 years old or even more. It took me close to 40 years to accumulate the stuff I have in my studio.
-------

Faastwalker

25 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Feb 2023
FrankJaeger wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Nah. I just used to have quite a bit of outboard gear (still have some), and I wanted to have everything directly available in my DAW. The OctoPre adds another eight inputs and outputs that are dedicated to hardware FX send/returns.
Same here. I bought a gen2 18i20 when the price dropped after the gen3 Scarlett range launched. I wanted an interface to fit into my rack and I also ended up ditching the patch bay and had all my external gear connected directly to the 18i20. Will need another patch bay if I get more external gear. But trying not to unless something else goes first or it's a Eurorack module. So well covered for everything going straight into Reason with audio channels set-up in default rack. I just arm, hit record an I'm away.

But I've been looking for an interface for USB-C iPad. I wanted audio i/o + MIDI i/o with the iPad and had my eye on the UA Volt 2. Here in Aus it's cheaper than the (roughly equivalent) Scarlett 4i4 interface. Anything less than a 4i4 doesn't have MIDI. The Volt 2 is probably overkill for use with an iPad. But it's difficult to find a decent interface to use with an USB-C iPad that has decent audio i/o and MIDI. Plenty with one or the other. Not too many with both. More so with USB-C, so situation has improved a lot since iPad's had USB-C. Even so, Volt 2 is looking like a winner all round :thumbup:

sublunar

03 Mar 2023

Really wish they'd do a rackmount with the USB option. I don't get why so many interfaces are desktop modules or why UA only does thunderbolt only on their rackmounts.

Faastwalker

07 Mar 2023

sublunar wrote:
03 Mar 2023
Really wish they'd do a rackmount with the USB option. I don't get why so many interfaces are desktop modules or why UA only does thunderbolt only on their rackmounts.
Same. I've run out of space for more desktop devices. Admittedly, a big chunk of that desktop space is taken up with a desktop rack mount. But the stuff in it would take up far more desktop space than the rack.

• Information