CrimsonWarlock's new studio build

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MuttReason

05 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
05 Feb 2023
MuttReason wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Cool. Dense building materials definitely a good thing.
Not necessarily. My studio tour of Power Station (now Avatar) in NYC revealed they used more flexible walls to intentionally absorb the sound (which of course came as a surprise to me). Solid/dense materials will reflect most/all energy back into the space which increases issues like standing waves/modes. Which is fine if you are prepared to absorb them like high end builds do. But it’s a trade off either way - more dense equals less transmission both directions but also more issues with the sound inside the space. Sums up the two sides of acoustics in audio - transmission vs sonics. In this case the point is moot since the build stage is long sense finished, but I would suspect bass trapping will be important in this space.

That said, transmission was not an issue for my recent build since I have no direct neighbors closer than 1/4 mile at the closest (lucky me!). I did want to be comfortable and opted for 5/8” drywall (thicker than would normally be used) and spray foam insulation all around, and the space stays nice and cozy in the cold (got down to -8° F/-22° C and the studio was still reasonably comfortable the next day (not warm, but not frozen either!).
Interesting… thanks! I always thought the best combination was concrete floors and brick walls which were then treated with a floating floor and some kind of relatively dense liner material on walls and ceiling. But I see your point about the potential for reflections and standing waves. I guess I’m basing my recollection on memories of my old studio space years ago that was essentially not much more than a big unevenly shaped and unsealed wooden box and just rattled like hell. At the time I’d have given anything to work in a space with thick walls and a solid floor. And also my old studio was freezing in winter and boiling in the summer (roof space with almost no insulation) so there was that too.

crimsonwarlock

06 Feb 2023

Jagwah wrote:
05 Feb 2023
I wonder how Crimson's studio will hold up against yours, which appears to be quite the professional studio we would all love to have, I know I sure would! :thumbup:
Yep, Selig's studio is a musician's wet dream, at least from my perspective. His space is much more usefull to begin with, quite a bit larger than mine.

My studio was in my office building (where I run my own company). Just for reference, here's a picture of the (previous) studio space:

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Feb 2023

Keep us updated! I personally enjoy the step-by-step builds!

challism

06 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Dropping loads of knowledge... as usual!
crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Feb 2023

Great info, as I've become to expect from you :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing this info, Giles. You are a wealth of knowledge.

It's great to see your studio coming together, CrimsonWarlock. Thanks for sharing it with us. Looking good!

ordjob2 wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Why would people watch an empty attic? This is a forum, not a personal blog.
Looks like plenty of us are interested in watching the progression of this studio. I think this forum is perfect for such topics. Please try to be nicer to your fellow forum users in the future; your comment was quite rude. Thank you
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

07 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Feb 2023

Damn, can't wait to see the new one!! :puf_smile:

crimsonwarlock

07 Feb 2023

Jagwah wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Hahaha, that one made my day already :puf_bigsmile:
Jagwah wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Damn, can't wait to see the new one!! :puf_smile:
At the office now. Just loaded the last acoustic panels into my car to take home this afternoon. If all goes well, a new picture update tonight :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

07 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Feb 2023
Jagwah wrote:
05 Feb 2023
I wonder how Crimson's studio will hold up against yours, which appears to be quite the professional studio we would all love to have, I know I sure would! :thumbup:
Yep, Selig's studio is a musician's wet dream, at least from my perspective. His space is much more usefull to begin with, quite a bit larger than mine.

My studio was in my office building (where I run my own company). Just for reference, here's a picture of the (previous) studio space:

Beautiful studio man 👌👌

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2023

Old setup was nice!

crimsonwarlock

07 Feb 2023

visheshl wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Beautiful studio man 👌👌
Thanks. The new studio space will at least match the aesthetics.
avasopht wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Old setup was nice!
It sure was, especially the room dimensions were acoustically speaking just right. I'm really curious how the new space will turn out in that regard.
-------

selig
RE Developer

07 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Feb 2023
Jagwah wrote:
05 Feb 2023
It only took me to age 61 to have my dream studio. Literally NOTHING I’ve had at home over the years (and there have been many) has even come close to this room, so it was a long wait. Only 10 years ago my home studio was an Ikea desk in a corner with a mono Roland Cube monitor.To those still waiting for their dream studio, hang in there - it can still happen!
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

07 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
07 Feb 2023
It only took me to age 61 to have my dream studio. Literally NOTHING I’ve had at home over the years (and there have been many) has even come close to this room, so it was a long wait. Only 10 years ago my home studio was an Ikea desk in a corner with a mono Roland Cube monitor.To those still waiting for their dream studio, hang in there - it can still happen!
Same here. My studio is the result of 40 years saving money to get things. And building a lot of stuff myself :puf_wink:

Some equipment in my studio I had for 20 years or longer, like the Tascam US-2400. When the move is done, I'm building a new desk and make sure it provides space for a new mix controller to replace the US-2400. I'm liking the iCon Qcon Pro-X, but to replace the 24+1 motorized faders of the Tascam, I need a base unit and two expanders, so that's easily 2400 euros (100 euro per fader :puf_bigsmile: ). So, it will be a year or more before I get there. Fortunately, the Tascam is in mint condition and working flawlessly.
-------

Popey
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
07 Feb 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Feb 2023

Nice to know as I currently am sat perched at a computer desk in the corner of our front room to make music.

I am a step nearer a studio as moved to a house where the old occupiers built a brick workshop in the back garden. Just need to save up and convert it to a studio now (this part will take years 😂).

crimsonwarlock

07 Feb 2023

Another day, another update. The last acoustic panels are up. And I put my monitors on their stands to get a feel for where it's going :puf_smile:

20230207_193633.jpg
20230207_193633.jpg (110.11 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
-------

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2023

Another small update. Today I brought the large 4K TV screen back from the office, and put it up on the new stand I got for it.

20230209_164258.jpg
20230209_164258.jpg (104 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
-------

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2023

Man, that's already looking really good IMO! That monitor stand is quite impressive.
Not sure what is going on with the side panels (black ones) but need to see the whole thing before commenting. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Man, that's already looking really good IMO! That monitor stand is quite impressive.
Not sure what is going on with the side panels (black ones) but need to see the whole thing before commenting. :)
Thanks.

That monitor stand is actually meant for a much bigger screen, so it is pretty overengineered in this application. But because it is very heavy metal, again little chance of strange vibrations. Before this, the screen was simply standing on a shelf, but with this stand, I now can have it angled down a little. I have to see if that is a good idea when everything is back in operation.

The panels on the sides were my bass traps, you can see them in the picture of the previous studio. Because now the ceiling angles down to almost floor level, there are no corners to put them in, except the top of the ceiling where I have put them as well. So now I have them on the sides, and they angle in a bit because, again, the ceiling :puf_bigsmile:
-------

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Feb 2023
selig wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Thanks.

That monitor stand is actually meant for a much bigger screen, so it is pretty overengineered in this application. But because it is very heavy metal, again little chance of strange vibrations. Before this, the screen was simply standing on a shelf, but with this stand, I now can have it angled down a little. I have to see if that is a good idea when everything is back in operation.

The panels on the sides were my bass traps, you can see them in the picture of the previous studio. Because now the ceiling angles down to almost floor level, there are no corners to put them in, except the top of the ceiling where I have put them as well. So now I have them on the sides, and they angle in a bit because, again, the ceiling :puf_bigsmile:
If those are corner traps, you still have corners along that wall (follow the elephant's trunk). You just need to rotate them 45°, as there is STILL a wall/ceiling boundary right there along the front wall.
I mention this because I have a similar ceiling situation, although it's rotated 90° (when viewed from above) to yours, and I'm just now realizing I don't have corner traps along ANY of those boundaries. I still have some nasty nodes to deal with so I'm going to put some triangle bass traps along as much of that boundary as possible. I've also neglected the ceiling 'peak' area because it's 18' above me and I already have 4 monster traps (GIK) above my head at the 10' level.

It's an on-going process - just like Disneyland, it's never 'finished'...
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
09 Feb 2023
If those are corner traps, you still have corners along that wall (follow the elephant's trunk). You just need to rotate them 45°, as there is STILL a wall/ceiling boundary right there along the front wall.
I mention this because I have a similar ceiling situation, although it's rotated 90° (when viewed from above) to yours, and I'm just now realizing I don't have corner traps along ANY of those boundaries. I still have some nasty nodes to deal with so I'm going to put some triangle bass traps along as much of that boundary as possible. I've also neglected the ceiling 'peak' area because it's 18' above me and I already have 4 monster traps (GIK) above my head at the 10' level.

It's an on-going process - just like Disneyland, it's never 'finished'...
Thanks again for your insights. Yep, I'm aware of those corners. It is the same with a 'normal' room, where there are 90 degrees corners along the ceiling and even the floor. However, in the previous studio I had only the corners bass trapped, and not along the ceiling, and that room measured almost flat response (meaning no serious bumps and troughs in the spectrum). As this new space is obviously not a 'straight' room, I will have to hear how it turns out, and then tackle any problems as they occur. As you say, it's an ongoing process :puf_smile:
-------

crimsonwarlock

12 Feb 2023

Meanwhile, the Frankenstein desk came home. Ready for re-assembly and use until I get to build the new desk.

I did build this desk around 15 years ago (or maybe a few more), and it got reconfigured (or should I say butchered) a bit over time :puf_bigsmile:

20230212_190833.jpg
20230212_190833.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
-------

crimsonwarlock

15 Feb 2023

So, I assembled the desk and have started setting up all the equipment again. The computer and screens are up and running again, but everything else still needs to get connected. But it starts to feel like a studio again :puf_smile:

As you can see in the left bottom corner of the picture below, all the 19-inch stuff, like the Focusrite audio interface, still has to go into the desk (into that black hole there).

20230215_192304.jpg
20230215_192304.jpg (148.12 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
-------

robussc

16 Feb 2023

That looks like it’s going to be a fantastic creative space. Congrats (and it’s coming together very quickly!)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

16 Feb 2023

robussc wrote:
16 Feb 2023
That looks like it’s going to be a fantastic creative space. Congrats (and it’s coming together very quickly!)
Thanks. It is coming along nicely indeed :puf_smile:

Meanwhile, having fun with cables… actually, not really fun :puf_wink:

20230216_160637.jpg
20230216_160637.jpg (172.83 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
-------

Jagwah

18 Feb 2023

Love how neat the desk looks, the way the cables are hidden so it stays tidy - awesome :thumbup:

Popey
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2023

That's come along nicely and in a short space of time. Looks like a great space to get creative 👍

crimsonwarlock

18 Feb 2023

Jagwah wrote:
18 Feb 2023
Love how neat the desk looks, the way the cables are hidden so it stays tidy - awesome :thumbup:
Most cables are not visible because they are not there yet :lol:
Popey wrote:
18 Feb 2023
That's come along nicely and in a short space of time. Looks like a great space to get creative 👍
Thanks. But still a lot to do. I've just started putting up some anti-reflection panels on the back wall. I'm also completely reconfiguring my audio interface setup that will give me monitoring selection (nearfields, headphones, reference speakers) right inside Reason with a combinator that does the routing.

Today will be running MIDI-cables to hardware, and seting up my makeshift vocal booth.
-------

• Information