STREAMDECK USERS? Sharing is caring.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 2533
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 02 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
02 Feb 2023
DaveyG wrote:
02 Feb 2023
That is is one expensive calculator!
I don’t know, the computer it actually runs on accounts for 90% of the cost…even my phone is a more expensive calculator than any I’ve ever purchased in the past… ;)
You're right. Apologies for being silly.
Now the serious question.
Can you make it play Tic Tac Toe just by changing pages?

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11738
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 02 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote:
02 Feb 2023
selig wrote:
02 Feb 2023


I don’t know, the computer it actually runs on accounts for 90% of the cost…even my phone is a more expensive calculator than any I’ve ever purchased in the past… ;)
You're right. Apologies for being silly.
Now the serious question.
Can you make it play Tic Tac Toe just by changing pages?
Being silly is fine, I was trying to see your silliness and raise you one “silly”. I got your point, it’s not a cheap controller. ;)
And maybe it could actually do TTT but it would be super klunky to do so…🤓
Selig Audio, LLC

carvingcode
Posts: 39
Joined: 14 Jan 2019

Post 02 Feb 2023

Pardon me for dropping in unannounced. Are you all discussing using the StreamDeck to control Reason or to control Reason within a video capture scenario?

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 2327
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 02 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote:
02 Feb 2023
Can you make it play Tic Tac Toe just by changing pages?
selig wrote:
02 Feb 2023
And maybe it could actually do TTT but it would be super klunky to do so…🤓
If you put your head to it, anything is possible :puf_wink:


-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11738
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 02 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
02 Feb 2023
DaveyG wrote:
02 Feb 2023
Can you make it play Tic Tac Toe just by changing pages?
selig wrote:
02 Feb 2023
And maybe it could actually do TTT but it would be super klunky to do so…🤓
If you put your head to it, anything is possible :puf_wink:


As someone who relies on KeyNote for just about everything EXCEPT making presentations, I can totally relate to this video. It's very well done (and funny), I got hooked and watched to the end!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 03 Feb 2023

carvingcode wrote:
02 Feb 2023
Pardon me for dropping in unannounced. Are you all discussing using the StreamDeck to control Reason or to control Reason within a video capture scenario?
Stream Deck controlling Reason.

Help Wanted: A Javascript programmer :geek: to take the free Stream Deck SDK and create a Reason controller.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
Hans_47
Posts: 21
Joined: 21 Apr 2020

Post 03 Feb 2023

Not sure if anybody has seen this https://github.com/BarRaider/streamdeck-supermacro.
You can write macros with a text editor.
And the this https://github.com/sorskoot/StreamDeck-Midi-plugin
Send midi commands from Streamdeck :puf_smile:
Both are free Streamdeck plugins ...

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11738
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 03 Feb 2023

Hans_47 wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Not sure if anybody has seen this https://github.com/BarRaider/streamdeck-supermacro.
You can write macros with a text editor.
And the this https://github.com/sorskoot/StreamDeck-Midi-plugin
Send midi commands from Streamdeck :puf_smile:
Both are free Streamdeck plugins ...
I covered the MIDI plugin in my livestream, especially useful is the Mackie Control because it allows bi-directional controls (buttons that light when pressed OR when the software equivalent is pressed). I need to explore the supermacro, not sure if it does stuff I can’t already do or not - do you have a use case(s) for the super macro plugin and Reason?

In other news - turns out you CAN build a simple Tick Tack Toe interface (and so I did!) but the buttons can only switch between two states X and O - so close, but not quite ‘playable’. Maybe there’s a plugin solution?
I’m also playing with a Kong controller using the MIDI plugin, but you won’t have dynamics and the buttons are a bit ‘mushy’ for actual performance. But you CAN do it, so I WILL try it! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 03 Feb 2023

@selig What about using Reason Remotemap? Can the Stream Deck be scripted to send Remotemap commands directly via MIDI? Or is this what you are essentially doing via the Mackie and MIDI plugin?
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 03 Feb 2023

Take a look at the Universal MIDI Controller for Stream Deck. https://www.sideshowfx.net/umc-stream-deck.

Features transport controls, track mixer faders (selected and dedicated) with live two-way feedback, pan, mute, solo and arm function. VST plugin programming and control available for Cakewalk, Studio One, Nuendo and Cubase. Also works in Logic Pro, Reaper, Ableton Live, Cakewalk, as well as Davinci Resolve, Premiere Pro, Nuendo, plus a Pads Controller, Keyboard controller, Articulation controller – all for $44.99.

I have sent a request to them to write one for Reason. This is exactly what we need! The live LEDs, bidirection control and display feedback is awesome!

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by wendylou on 03 Feb 2023, edited 2 times in total.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 03 Feb 2023



Image
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Feb 2023

I think the MIDI stuff is cool, but I don't think I'd use it for faders and knobs. I'd probably look at Loopedeck devices which have physical knobs, or wait to see if elgato releases a Streamdeck+ XL

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 04 Feb 2023

So I bought the Universal MIDI Controller for Stream Deck, got it working in Logic, then created a Reason button, and changed the configurations from the Logic set-up as best I could, as several things need to be remapped or experimented with. Here are the controls I have working with active feedback displayed on the Stream Deck LED displays as it is sent back from Reason:

<< and >> buttons
Stop
Play
Record
Song Position (cool!)
Loop
Metronome
Solo
Mute
Track Volume
Master Volume
Track selection (up and down)
Track Names (read from Reason and displayed!)
Mixer Levels
Pan
Width
EQ LPF and Position
EQ HPF and Position

There are also many things that are either incorrectly mapped or not working, as my Reason profile was copied from the Logic profile. However, even though they did not create a profile for Reason, they have incorporated a Reason toggle on all functions, so they had it in mine when they created this Mackie controller for Stream Deck.

I have a Panorama P6 that has both a keyboard control and a Mixer Mode defined in the Reason MIDI setup, so one can be surface locked. Not sure if I need to do something similar with the Stream Deck Mackie using a second instance.

My brain hurts, time for some zzz's. I may need some help with this Giles! :puf_smile:
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11738
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 04 Feb 2023

@Wendy - I’ve had most of that working with the free Mackie Control included in the MIDI plugin. I’m with Joey on this, controlling faders and knobs doesn’t feel all that useful with buttons (could be great with the new Elgato controller with knobs, but that device needs to be bigger before I’ll bite).
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 04 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
03 Feb 2023
I think the MIDI stuff is cool, but I don't think I'd use it for faders and knobs. I'd probably look at Loopedeck devices which have physical knobs, or wait to see if elgato releases a Streamdeck+ XL
Agreed, the push button control of sliders and rotaries is rather fast for precision values. Nevertheless, as a starting point, it's a nice multipage profile template with many other useful features. As these are customizable, you don't have to use the slider/rotary pushbuttons and can delete them.

By the way, today, I asked Elgato to consider a Stream Deck XL+ with rotaries. Likewise, I asked SlideshowFX to consider adding a Reason-specific profile.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
Hans_47
Posts: 21
Joined: 21 Apr 2020

Post 04 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Hans_47 wrote:
03 Feb 2023
Not sure if anybody has seen this https://github.com/BarRaider/streamdeck-supermacro.
You can write macros with a text editor.
And the this https://github.com/sorskoot/StreamDeck-Midi-plugin
Send midi commands from Streamdeck :puf_smile:
Both are free Streamdeck plugins ...
I covered the MIDI plugin in my livestream, especially useful is the Mackie Control because it allows bi-directional controls (buttons that light when pressed OR when the software equivalent is pressed). I need to explore the supermacro, not sure if it does stuff I can’t already do or not - do you have a use case(s) for the super macro plugin and Reason?

In other news - turns out you CAN build a simple Tick Tack Toe interface (and so I did!) but the buttons can only switch between two states X and O - so close, but not quite ‘playable’. Maybe there’s a plugin solution?
I’m also playing with a Kong controller using the MIDI plugin, but you won’t have dynamics and the buttons are a bit ‘mushy’ for actual performance. But you CAN do it, so I WILL try it! ;)
Nothing more, but I find editing with a text editor easier. ;)

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 06 Feb 2023

Elgato responded regarding my request:
Hello Wendy,
I understand that you're inquiring about a possible larger version of the Elgato Stream Deck +, for instance, a Stream Deck + XL. We appreciate the recommendation and I can definitely see how it would streamline your processes. While this is not a product at this time, what I'll gladly do is forward your request through the appropriate channels so it may possibly be implemented in future releases.

Jeffrey B,
Elgato Technical Support
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Feb 2023

It could also be cool if they took a modular approach, where you could snap them together. I guess you could technically buy multiple as it is, but it wouldn't be very cost effective and snapping together would be nice. Of course, an XL+ would be cool, I'm just saying :)

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 467
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Area 51

Post 06 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
06 Feb 2023
It could also be cool if they took a modular approach, where you could snap them together. I guess you could technically buy multiple as it is, but it wouldn't be very cost effective and snapping together would be nice. Of course, an XL+ would be cool, I'm just saying :)
Yes, and it wouldn't it be nice to have two rows of 8 rotaries with touch displays above each!
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Feb 2023

I was actually looking at the Loupedeck stuff, and while the Loupedeck CT and Live versions are more in line with what I would want to get from them, I really like the approach of the Loupedeck+, although it's more focused on photo/video editing.

Image

But I really like the bank of 8 wheels. I feel like that could be a nice and compact way of replacing faders on a portable controller. And since I don't like faders that aren't motorized...imagine banks of these wheels and a small display(s) showing the fader settings. It would feel ergonomically more appropriate than dials and no faders out of place or taking up space...

I know this thread is focused on Streamdeck, but maybe they would also consider a controller with wheels.

Bluescat
Posts: 7
Joined: 24 Feb 2020

Post 07 Feb 2023

I got frustrated looking for suitable (to me anyway) audioDAW related icons and found a pack for $15 that I am happy with. This is icons only- no scripts or profiles.

https://audioikons.com/ai_icons_streamdeck.php

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11738
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 07 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
06 Feb 2023
I was actually looking at the Loupedeck stuff, and while the Loupedeck CT and Live versions are more in line with what I would want to get from them, I really like the approach of the Loupedeck+, although it's more focused on photo/video editing.

Image

But I really like the bank of 8 wheels. I feel like that could be a nice and compact way of replacing faders on a portable controller. And since I don't like faders that aren't motorized...imagine banks of these wheels and a small display(s) showing the fader settings. It would feel ergonomically more appropriate than dials and no faders out of place or taking up space...

I know this thread is focused on Streamdeck, but maybe they would also consider a controller with wheels.
Where other products like this loose me is the total lack of displays, which limits how much I can do with such a device. Conversely, the big draw for StreamDeck is the fact you can custom-label every button as you see fit, which is next-level customization IMO. About the only thing you could do to take that idea further is to allow custom layouts of physical controls!

As for controlling a mixer fader I’m not gonna be happy with something as tiny as a wheel - a mouse/trackpad is just as good for me. Advantages of physical faders is twofold for me: visual indication of levels (requires moving faders) and ability to move more than one at a time, neither of which is satisfied with wheels that small. It’s like those super tiny keyboards on ‘pocket synths’, I find playing those just as easy as clicking a mouse on a screen for me, which is also how tiny faders feel (like Korg NanoKontrol). Not being able to label them is the final nail in the coffin for me.

For that matter I’m not even sure how much I would use a bank of 8 labeled knobs on a bigger StreamDeck XL, I’d have to think more on that one…
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
07 Feb 2023
joeyluck wrote:
06 Feb 2023
I was actually looking at the Loupedeck stuff, and while the Loupedeck CT and Live versions are more in line with what I would want to get from them, I really like the approach of the Loupedeck+, although it's more focused on photo/video editing.

Image

But I really like the bank of 8 wheels. I feel like that could be a nice and compact way of replacing faders on a portable controller. And since I don't like faders that aren't motorized...imagine banks of these wheels and a small display(s) showing the fader settings. It would feel ergonomically more appropriate than dials and no faders out of place or taking up space...

I know this thread is focused on Streamdeck, but maybe they would also consider a controller with wheels.
Where other products like this loose me is the total lack of displays, which limits how much I can do with such a device. Conversely, the big draw for StreamDeck is the fact you can custom-label every button as you see fit, which is next-level customization IMO. About the only thing you could do to take that idea further is to allow custom layouts of physical controls!

As for controlling a mixer fader I’m not gonna be happy with something as tiny as a wheel - a mouse/trackpad is just as good for me. Advantages of physical faders is twofold for me: visual indication of levels (requires moving faders) and ability to move more than one at a time, neither of which is satisfied with wheels that small. It’s like those super tiny keyboards on ‘pocket synths’, I find playing those just as easy as clicking a mouse on a screen for me, which is also how tiny faders feel (like Korg NanoKontrol). Not being able to label them is the final nail in the coffin for me.

For that matter I’m not even sure how much I would use a bank of 8 labeled knobs on a bigger StreamDeck XL, I’d have to think more on that one…
Like I had said, I'm not looking at getting this one. I was only referencing this for the wheels. Of course the other Loupedeck devices have custom displays, etc.

Image

And of course I also prefer faders (and always motorized faders), but only thought it would be cool for something portable on-the-go. I also mentioned having wheels like that paired with displays showing where the faders are ;)

The wheels could be that size, but could be bigger... I've never used that controller or know how those wheels feel, but would prefer something high resolution like on lighting boards. Again, it was just the general idea that got me thinking for something portable and compact using that approach—not that exact hardware.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3495
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Feb 2023

Anyone know if it loads specific plugin or device, or even open a specific folder? On the Panorama you can load an instrument directly from the controller. Would be cool if you could set up a shortcut to a specific instrument or favorites folder.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Feb 2023

QVprod wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Anyone know if it loads specific plugin or device, or even open a specific folder? On the Panorama you can load an instrument directly from the controller. Would be cool if you could set up a shortcut to a specific instrument or favorites folder.
Yes, on macOS you can create a shortcut per device by just using the device's full name as found in the create menu :-)
And then I would assume you can assign that shortcut to any of these controllers. Maybe the software for the Streamdeck and Loupedeck bypass the need to create a shortcut separately?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Trendiction [Bot] and 10 guests