Device groups request

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
visheshl

29 Jan 2023

Ok so I was trying out a live session with rrp.
One thing I was doing a lot was scrolling the rack a lot.
Or I was minimising a lot of devices to quickly reach the device chain below.

I was wanting is a device group feature. Select a few devices, hit group button(which should be on top of RRP,or a key shortcut like ctrl/cmd g to group or ungroup)

Then I can minimise the whole group with one click.
This is a separate concept from combinators. Combinators are hybrid instruments made up of different devices.

I'm talking about a rack organiser. Sort of device folders

So the you can open or close the group with one arrow on the side.

visheshl

29 Jan 2023

I don't want to bump, but can't edit.

So it would be nice if the device groups were like a accordion menu, you know you open one group and other groups automatically close.
So at a time only the group you're concerned with is open rest all the devices are automatically hidden.
This could be an optional checkbox setting in Reason prefs and RRP.

jam-s

29 Jan 2023

For me the option to fold up a Rack column would suffice as a simple way to implement this.

visheshl

29 Jan 2023

jam-s wrote:
29 Jan 2023
For me the option to fold up a Rack column would suffice as a simple way to implement this.
Then it would be better to just have scroll to column number buttons on top of the rack.(RRP only has one column).
In fact both would be good.
Device groups and scroll to column buttons on top of RRP.

joeyluck

29 Jan 2023

Why not use separate instances of the RRP?

Funny, some people were hoping for RRP support in Reason so they could utilize it as a different way to organize, similar to what you're requesting.

In terms of navigation, don't forget that option+click will fold/unfold all in the column.

So I would suggest that if you're using the Reason DAW, use a separate column per grouping. Then fold/unfold all with option+click. If using the RRP, use a separate instance per grouping.

visheshl

30 Jan 2023

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2023

Funny, some people were hoping for RRP support in Reason so they could utilize it as a different way to organize, similar to what you're requesting.

In terms of navigation, don't forget that option+click will fold/unfold all in the column.

So I would suggest that if you're using the Reason DAW, use a separate column per grouping. Then fold/unfold all with option+click. If using the RRP, use a separate instance per grouping.
Im organizing my live set as seperate RRP instances.
One RRP will contain 1 track to be played for 5-8 minutes, then second RRP and so on.
But I'd prefer if all devices pertaining to a single track reside in on RRP window.
Then you move to the next track which is in another RRP and so on.
Its like having multiple reason standalones and transitioning from from one to another.

joeyluck

30 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
30 Jan 2023
joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2023

Im organizing my live set as seperate RRP instances.
One RRP will contain 1 track to be played for 5-8 minutes, then second RRP and so on.
But I'd prefer if all devices pertaining to a single track reside in on RRP window.
Then you move to the next track which is in another RRP and so on.
Its like having multiple reason standalones and transitioning from from one to another.
You should look into using the RRP in Apple MainStage or Audio Modeling's Camelot.

selig
RE Developer

30 Jan 2023

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2023

Not sure how that would help, since a folded vs unfolded rack doesn’t help with navigation since you would be navigating horizontally with this workflow. Meaning, using a separate column already addresses the issue - folded vs unfolded doesn’t make a difference here, no?
However, this is an excellent reason to want collapsable columns as was already suggested!

What I’m hoping for is some simple integrated grouping/sub-mixing solution, where everything in a Mix Group in the Mixer is also in an edit group in the Sequencer and a device group in the Rack. That way you could hide groups, edit groups, and navigate the rack by groups as is suggested in this thread.
I suggest this unified approach (including syncing the three views automatically, and by default) because I feel it unlikely to ever get ‘real’ edit groups, show/hide, track folders, etc on their own. Reason tends to do things ‘their own way’, and as much as I try to predict it, I’m always wrong (as I suspect I am with this suggestion as well)… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

30 Jan 2023

Exactly, i would like RS to treat combinators as an instrument/ fx please.
Don't treat it as a grouping device. It is a separate instrument.
In fact i would go so far as to say that a single combinator could have different patches.
So if someone makes a combinator.
Allow him to tell reason that it is either a patch or an instrument/hybrid effect.
If its a patch it shows up in the patches list.
If its been marked by the maker as an instrument/effect, it shows up as an instrument in the browser...which has a separate category called combinator instruments. Which is seen by reason as a hybrid compiled instrument, which could have patches too if the dev intended.

But device grouping is a different subject, this is not a device, this is a rach organizer, which should also treat combinators as an instrument.
So if you minimise a group of devices, all devices including combis are hidden.

Also selig, i understand where ure coming from you want to have a synergy between the rack and the sequencer.
So that bring me to another addition.
Folders...folders are not combinators, folders are not device groups, folders are folders...they are synchronised between the rack and the sequencer...you put a device in a folder, its track automatically becomes a sub of the folder track...so all tracks in a folder are synced between the rack and the sequencer....show/hide device groups are seperate.

At the top of the hierarchy you have show hide device groups (rack and RRP only)...when this group is minimised, all devices within this group are minimised or maximised.... including combinators and folders.
Under the groups in the hierarchy are track folders which contain combinators,...are groups synced between sequencer and rack, you minimise the folder in the rack, the track folder in the sequencer gets minimised or maximised accordingly.

Im not too interested in folders as im using RRP but that would be kice for the Standalone users i guess.

visheshl

30 Jan 2023

Also i would request a change in the way combinators work...instead of showing the devices in the main window itself, if show devices button on a combinator opened a new sub window showing the sub rack...it would enable nested combis...a whole new paradigm shift.
Ableton nested group racks allow for some really complex but ultimately very useful setups.
Similarly reason could benifit from nested combis... suppose i download a premade combi effect from the shop but i want to use it in my own combi, it would allow me to do so...each sub rack window also has the browser.
It sounds very complex but trust me its very very useful.

joeyluck

30 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
30 Jan 2023
joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2023

Not sure how that would help, since a folded vs unfolded rack doesn’t help with navigation since you would be navigating horizontally with this workflow.
I was replying to this:
visheshl wrote:
29 Jan 2023
That could be a solution for that. No need to minimize them individually to quickly reach the bottom. Just use control+click.

va3rwt

16 Feb 2023

I'm not sure if this was suggested but a option to show only rack devices for a selected track like reason plugin
in other daws this would be a option so as not to take away the standard way this is something I would really like

selig
RE Developer

16 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2023
selig wrote:
30 Jan 2023

Not sure how that would help, since a folded vs unfolded rack doesn’t help with navigation since you would be navigating horizontally with this workflow.
I was replying to this:
visheshl wrote:
29 Jan 2023
That could be a solution for that. No need to minimize them individually to quickly reach the bottom. Just use control+click.
I was replying to “use a separate column” part you said. I totally agree minimizing all then expanding what you want is they current ‘best practice’. I’m just saying collapsible columns won’t help to get to the bottom of a full rack/column, but I wonder if I’m misunderstanding that part?
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

16 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
16 Feb 2023
joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2023

I was replying to this:

I was replying to “use a separate column” part you said. I totally agree minimizing all then expanding what you want is they current ‘best practice’. I’m just saying collapsible columns won’t help to get to the bottom of a full rack/column, but I wonder if I’m misunderstanding that part?
Gotcha, yeah I was talking about vertically collapsing all devices in a column using option+click. So if you are someone who throws a ton into one column, you could collapse all of your devices to have much less scrolling to get to the bottom.

Collapsing racks horizontally would be cool in Reason standalone.

But as far as RRP goes, I would just use separate instances of the RRP for whatever groupings.

DJMaytag

23 Feb 2023

I’d be happy with the group/folder/whatever being the output buss, like routing everything to a drum buss and having that whole thing be collapsible.

visheshl

23 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
23 Feb 2023
I’d be happy with the group/folder/whatever being the output buss, like routing everything to a drum buss and having that whole thing be collapsible.
Won't work in RRP because RRP doesn't have mix channels.

visheshl

24 Feb 2023

Also RRP only has one rack column...i think it would be nice to have device groups...select a few devices and group them, now there's a group minimise maximize arrow.
It would be a nice feature for reason standalone as well as RRP.
In RRP only the rack devices would be grouped, whereas on standalone, grouping devices would also put all the tracks of all the grouped devices inside a track folder. Which can be minimised or maximised in the sequencer.

• Information