Softube gone from the shop?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kuhliloach

26 Jan 2023

As an owner of Softube's reverb I am dismayed by the poor support, ridiculous pricing, and the inability to use these RE's without them crashing Logic on macOS 13.1.

Steedus
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

I still use the saturation knob RE a lot though it’s true it should have a level adjust (I know there’s combi patch for that)

I never liked their bass amp RE. I don’t know what music it’s intended for but it sounds nothing like I ever want my bass to sound like.

crimsonwarlock

26 Jan 2023

Steedus wrote:
26 Jan 2023
I never liked their bass amp RE.
Agreed. Cerberus rules :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

motuscott

26 Jan 2023

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to join the pile on about that one ridiculous blue emulation.
But Tsar, FET and the Spring verb get regular use here at Motuscott's House of Compromise.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2023

motuscott wrote:
26 Jan 2023
Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to join the pile on about that one ridiculous blue emulation.
But Tsar, FET and the Spring verb get regular use here at Motuscott's House of Compromise.
Yeah. I like Tsar too
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

26 Jan 2023

I dont think they fully understood the RE market but Softube are amongst the best of the best at what they do. I shot their FET against a well regarded 1176 clone and it was pretty spot on. This was years ago before the rest of the industry had caught up. But I still rate their plugins higher than the other players in the same niche including Waves, IK, PA and UAD etc etc.

Softube have started doing really generous discounts in the last few years. If you don't make money from music you pick things up when they go on sale. No point paying full price unless you do this for a living and these tools are critical to do your job.

Aquila

27 Jan 2023

So, another high end RE developer has pulled out and no observable response from RS? No public statement of what's going on or even any attempt of putting users at ease or damage control?

Is Niklas just sat in his office saying, "oh well that's life" or something?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2023

I'm quite happy that they've started selling their VSTs at half decent prices. That Juno is magic. I'd like the big Tsar as I've only got the cut down one. See if that shows up on sale.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Overtherainbow

27 Jan 2023

Softube and Reason had obviously had a falling out way back when. Now they will finally shove the issue under the rug to never talk about it again. Frankly, I'm not concerned about Reason response or lack thereof, but it's a damn shame Sofube didn't invest further into REs. To have all their catalogue available as RE at same prices as they are selling VSTs...I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.

What I really don't like is that we don't have a FET or an LA-2A available as a re, which is just bread-and-butter stuff these days. Maybe there's a chance we finally get a domestic RS version? Give all those Ryan stream hardware props a second life!
Last edited by Overtherainbow on 27 Jan 2023, edited 2 times in total.

motuscott

27 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jan 2023
I'd like the big Tsar as I've only got the cut down one. See if that shows up on sale.
Yeah I remember that sucker cost near $200!!
I was makin' good money at the time...

joeyluck

27 Jan 2023

Overtherainbow wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Softube and Reason had obviously had a falling out way back when. Now they will finally shove the issue under the rug to never talk about it again. Frankly, I'm not concerned about Reason response or lack thereof, but it's a damn shame Sofube didn't invest further into REs. To have all their catalogue available as RE at same prices as they are selling VSTs...I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.

What I really don't like is that we don't have a FET or an LA-2A available as a re, which is just bread-and-butter stuff these days. Maybe there's a chance we finally get a domestic RS version? Give all those Ryan stream hardware props a second life!
I had been hoping that Bandlab would rerelease the RE-2A. I have it and use it on everything. I got the VST as well before it was discontinued. They said a long time ago that they would release the VST plugins, which still hasn't happened. I wonder if putting the RE-2A back in the shop is as easy as just republishing the shop page?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2023

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Overtherainbow wrote:
27 Jan 2023

I had been hoping that Bandlab would rerelease the RE-2A. I have it and use it on everything. I got the VST as well before it was discontinued. They said a long time ago that they would release the VST plugins, which still hasn't happened. I wonder if putting the RE-2A back in the shop is as easy as just republishing the shop page?
I had a serial for the Cakewalk LA-2A VST which I got at the same time they gave away RE-2A for free. I tried to register it but for some reason I didn't have a Cakewalk account. I wrote to Bandlab and they said that they'd be releasing a whole load of their old plugins for free in the future. Think that was two or three years ago. RE-2A is the only compressor I use :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

27 Jan 2023

2 B honest, the hearing thingy is gone. I accept that. I can engineer your record by sense of smell and careful monitoring of visual audio levels, but I cannot mix it. For no extra $ I will stand in the mix room and scream, "You're doing it wrong!".
This is my gift to you, no charge

FrankJaeger

07 Feb 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2023
It might have been overpriced, but I like their Tsar reverb. I own the bigger brother of the two reverbs. I still use it every now and then. Great for more natural/acoustic sounding material.
I used to like the Tsar 1R reverb until I got my hands on the Valhalla room and vintage verb. Those became my workhorse verbs and the Tsar 1R has been collecting copious amounts of dust since then. The Tsar 1R now sounds too "tinny" to me now, like it's putting your tracks in a an aluminum can. The dsp hit is far less severe with Valhalla as well. Have you tried them yet?
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

DJMaytag

09 Feb 2023

Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2023
So, another high end RE developer has pulled out and no observable response from RS? No public statement of what's going on or even any attempt of putting users at ease or damage control?

Is Niklas just sat in his office saying, "oh well that's life" or something?
Softube leaving is just like a tree falling in a forest with no one around. No one should give 2 shits about them leaving in 2023, and no one was seriously considering buying it in 2023. Bye Felicia…

FrankJaeger

10 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Bye Felicia…
Most people want to borrow sugar, maybe even ketchup.. you want to borrow my CAR?!?.... HELL NAH!!!!!
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Jac459

10 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Jan 2023
Steedus wrote:
26 Jan 2023
I never liked their bass amp RE.
Agreed. Cerberus rules :puf_wink:
So much agree. On paper, it seems a perfect companion for a bass emulation in friktion. In reality it never sounds right despite the magic of friktion to emulate a bass.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

ProfessaKaos

10 Feb 2023

FrankJaeger wrote:
10 Feb 2023
DJMaytag wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Bye Felicia…
Most people want to borrow sugar, maybe even ketchup.. you want to borrow my CAR?!?.... HELL NAH!!!!!
Most people don't own cars, they borrow them, barrow it till they pay it off.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

mimidancer

10 Feb 2023

does this mean I will lose this device at the next upgrade?

Jac459

10 Feb 2023

mimidancer wrote:
10 Feb 2023
No certainly not, RS had fully purchased the rights. In such a situation, there is a clause of handing over the source code.

Basically company A buy company B product with a maintenance clause. If company B decide to stop or bankrupt or anything, they have to handover the source code product ownership to A.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

DJMaytag

10 Feb 2023

Jac459 wrote:
10 Feb 2023
mimidancer wrote:
10 Feb 2023
No certainly not, RS had fully purchased the rights. In such a situation, there is a clause of handing over the source code.

Basically company A buy company B product with a maintenance clause. If company B decide to stop or bankrupt or anything, they have to handover the source code product ownership to A.
So RS is now maintaining these old RE’s for those who bought them? If RS now owns them, why can’t they continue to sell them? Is the situation different because Softube isn’t going out of business?

Jac459

10 Feb 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Feb 2023
Jac459 wrote:
10 Feb 2023

So RS is now maintaining these old RE’s for those who bought them? If RS now owns them, why can’t they continue to sell them? Is the situation different because Softube isn’t going out of business?
Sorry i am only talking about Softube products that are part of reason 12, the bass amp. For the others in the shop, it isn't maintained.
That being said, it may very well stay compatible for a very long time.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2023

Aosta wrote:
25 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
25 Jan 2023

Softube REs were the best devices ever. They wouldn't have been so expensive otherwise. You've obviously been using it wrong.
My opinion, your opinion....you have no idea how I was using it.
I double disagree. You're both wrong ;)

Jac459

11 Feb 2023

avasopht wrote:
10 Feb 2023
Aosta wrote:
25 Jan 2023

My opinion, your opinion....you have no idea how I was using it.
I double disagree. You're both wrong ;)
Yes but you too! 🤪
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Ottostrom

11 Feb 2023

I use TSAR-1 on almost every track I make and love it. It's not an "all-round" reverb but that's also why I find it so useful.
Sad to see their stuff gone from the shop.

• Information