Question regarding Chord Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owakulukem

23 Jan 2023

I have a question, but thinking about it I'm not sure it's possible. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to split out the individual notes from the Chord Sequencer to different instruments. I realize that the root note can be sent to a different device, but for example, if I had four instances of Friktion and wanted to send the individual notes of the chord to each instance of Friktion respectively, if that is even possible.
Thanks

crimsonwarlock

24 Jan 2023

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

owakulukem

24 Jan 2023

Thank you so much!! This is the way I figured how to connect things. I have a Chord Sequencer with the CV Player Tap (I will refer to this as the master tap) right below it. It doesn't seem to matter what instrument those are going to play as it will be muted. I created four instances of Friktion with a CV Player Tap above each one. From the master tap I wired output 1 gate and note to the first CV Tap input gate and note 1 then output gate and note to the first Friktion. From the master tap output 2 I went in to input 2 on the second CV Player Tap and out on 2 to the second Friktion and so on and so forth until I had all four wired up. Then it was just pushing the Send to Track button on each of the CV Player Tap of each Friktion and I had my four notes individually on each Friktion. Not sure if there is an easier way to do this with a Combinator, but this is how I got it to work.
Thank you again for your reply.
Attachments
CV Player Tap Setup.jpg
CV Player Tap Setup.jpg (646.17 KiB) Viewed 432 times

crimsonwarlock

24 Jan 2023

You don't need CV player TAP on each Friktion, you can connect direct to the gate and CV in on each Friktion.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

huggermugger

24 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock is right that you don't need the extra CVPTaps if you just want each Friktion to playback the chords coming from ChordSequencer. But the way you've set it up allows you to Send To Track from each CVPTap so that all the notes end up in the sequencer in separate tracks. I was curious about voice leading and whether or not the primary CVPTap would randomly toss the chord notes around to different Friktions. But an initial test seems to show that the primary CVPTap outputs go from lowest note to highest note in each chord, so the voice leading sounds fairly natural.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 3.57.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 3.57.23 PM.png (599.05 KiB) Viewed 386 times

huggermugger

24 Jan 2023

One thing to watch out for is that the output of the sequencer in ChordSequencer sometimes causes a dropped note when there are two consecutive identical notes in a progression. It's because the first note ends (Note Off) just as the second note starts (Note On). It's too bad Props didn't include a gate length feature, but you can shorten any chord manually, as in this image, or of course shorten them manually in the track after you Send To Track.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 3.58.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 3.58.57 PM.png (289.85 KiB) Viewed 385 times

huggermugger

24 Jan 2023

BTW, you don't have to use the consecutive inputs 1-4 on each Friktion's CVPTap, though it really doesn't make a difference either way. Any input will do the job of getting a gate and note into Friktion.

owakulukem

24 Jan 2023

Thank you very much for all the replies, I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. You must have read my mind because many of the questions I had were answered already.

owakulukem

24 Jan 2023

One more question if you don't mind. Is there a way to use the arpeggiator in StringWERK to control another device? It doesn't have CV out, only in. I tried to recreate some of the patches using Dual Arpeggiator, but it didn't work quite the same. Using the CV Player Tap only outputs the chords played, not the arpeggios.

• Information