I bought Friktion today after trial run and is amazing

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
calebbrennan

13 Jun 2022

I already had a pop song using orchestral arrangement using stock reason sounds. I added Friktion replacing the other strings and it is magical. Sometimes layering both or eliminating the source samples.

It is way more realistic sounding than sample based emulations

Stay well

I

calebbrennan

13 Jun 2022

I 've been unable to find an instruction manual or definitive instructional videos exploring all the parameters.
Any clues where I can find that would be helpful

Jac459

13 Jun 2022

Friktion is the best synth ever.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2022

calebbrennan wrote:
13 Jun 2022
I 've been unable to find an instruction manual or definitive instructional videos exploring all the parameters.
Friction is a bit of an odd duck in some aspects - I’m happy to answer specific questions if I can (I worked on the original sound bank and had to figure a bit of it out on my own and with other sound designers).
Selig Audio, LLC

Jac459

14 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Friction is a bit of an odd duck in some aspects - I’m happy to answer specific questions if I can (I worked on the original sound bank and had to figure a bit of it out on my own and with other sound designers).
Congrats Selig, the result is really awesome...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Pepin

14 Jun 2022

calebbrennan wrote:
13 Jun 2022
You can get to the manual under the Documents & Specs section of the shop page:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /friktion/
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.26.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.26.06 AM.png (17.91 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
Same goes for most RS devices.

Kuranes2021

14 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
13 Jun 2022
calebbrennan wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Kudos, the soundbank is really phantastic! There are many great synths in Reason, but "Friktion" is one of my most favorite ones.

strangers
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2022

I finally grabbed Friktion using my reward points. You can dial in some really wild sounds with this thing. It delivers the type of weird I've been looking for. I'm really going to lose track of time now.

calebbrennan

15 Jun 2022

Thanks everybody chiming in.
I still don't understand the relationship of Key Mode mode to the control in the silent octave of midi control keys

But I've been thoroughly enjoying playing it, one of Reason Studios triumphs bigtime in 2022

calebbrennan

16 Jun 2022

Thank Pepin I downloaded the manual and read it.

Selig , I can't activate the mod wheel to record my moves with most common method of right click and "EDIT Automation.
It highlights the mod wheel icon in green as usual but will not record. So I troubleshot and tried another parameter and was able to record tweeks to Harmonic section easily.

I thought maybe it was controlling it from Mod wheel on my Nektar controller so I tried manually creating mod wheel track and penciling it in but it won't record any moves. I can perform it but it won't record it

calebbrennan

16 Jun 2022

I figured it out
the mod wheel was neutral in the patch
needs to be activated for task

summon.exe

22 Jan 2023

Friktion is amazing. I've used it in one song already and I plan on using it in many more.

bossa
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2023

I also love friction very much. The possibilities to breathe life into the sound are enormous and the melody play really comes alive. I made a lot of use of friction on my album "Go East". If you like it, please give it a listen. Besides Spootify you can find the album under "falkbossa go east" on all services.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2023

I haven't used it a lot, but it's super inspiring to play it with a EWI.
What's also very interesting is that it not only sounds great on bowed strings but it sounds pretty nice too for wind instruments.

Here's a video i did when it got out, showing off using it with an EWI!

Really fun instrument!

summon.exe

23 Jan 2023

bossa wrote:
23 Jan 2023
I also love friction very much. The possibilities to breathe life into the sound are enormous and the melody play really comes alive. I made a lot of use of friction on my album "Go East". If you like it, please give it a listen. Besides Spootify you can find the album under "falkbossa go east" on all services.

This is beautiful.

Tiny Montgomery

23 Jan 2023

summon.exe wrote:
23 Jan 2023
bossa wrote:
23 Jan 2023

This is beautiful.
+1 :clap:

Jac459

23 Jan 2023

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
23 Jan 2023
+1 :clap:
Fully agree, I will find time to listen much more...
It is like Bonobo .... Evolved.

Nice to see that Friktion is part of it !

Do you know Fakear ? You should give it a listen ? It is a bit more uptempo but a lot in common.

What DAW did you use ?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

bossa
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2023

Thank you! I use only reason studio 12! I give Faker a listen!

Jac459

23 Jan 2023

FakeAr. :-).
It is a bit more uptempo than your production but with similarities.

Nice that you use only reason 12...
I'll take more time to listen to your titles and give some feedback if you are interested.

What is your best album to listen to? I am on Tidal.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

dvdrtldg

24 Jan 2023

I put this one together a while back - Friktion rules so hard

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-157098513 ... -for-radio

Jac459

24 Jan 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
24 Jan 2023
I put this one together a while back - Friktion rules so hard

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-157098513 ... -for-radio
I think Reason should use this as a demo for Friktion...

If you missed this video, this is also killer work with Friktion.

I don't think any synth is as jaw dropping than Friktion.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

summon.exe

29 Jan 2023

Had a lot of fun with Friktion's plucking in this one:

arnigretar

31 Jan 2023

Jac459 wrote:
13 Jun 2022
Friktion is the best synth ever.
Now this quote just shows how people's opinions can be different :) Friktion is a fine synthesizer, but it wouldn't even go in my top 20 of best synths ever! But doesn't make it less fine in my opinion. I have used it on some tracks and it can shine beautifully in doing what it is built to do; model string instruments :-)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Jac459

31 Jan 2023

arnigretar wrote:
31 Jan 2023
Now this quote just shows how people's opinions can be different :) Friktion is a fine synthesizer, but it wouldn't even go in my top 20 of best synths ever! But doesn't make it less fine in my opinion. I have used it on some tracks and it can shine beautifully in doing what it is built to do; model string instruments :-)
Mmm, if I had to choose one synth it wouldn't be this one, for sure, it would be Phase Plant....

But If I had to let go one synth without being able to get it back, there is no way I would give Friktion, I would give Phase Plant first. I can replace somehow phase plant with Pigments or Polymer from Bitwig. But Friktion is really unique in its way of working and creating such realistic sounds...

Somehow I should correct myself, Friktion is the most surprising synth ever. This is really, out of my numerous numerous synth, the one which is really surprising me by the sound it can create...

But I am fine with having different tastes by the way :-D.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

arnigretar

31 Jan 2023

Yes, it's great we all have different views :) but I do agree that Friktion is nice, though! I will have to try Phase Plant, because I haven't! :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

• Information