Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3 with Reason DAW??

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MuttReason

20 Jan 2023

Anyone using the Novation Launchpad Mk3 with the Reason DAW? I’ve had a search through the forum and on the interwebz and not seeing much.

I’m thinking about building a small(ish) travelling setup based around my laptop running R12 plus a 64-pad controller (I prefer these to mini keyboards).

One option is to use my Push2 controller either with Ableton Live plus Reason RRP or possibly using the PusheR app to control Reason DAW via the Push2. But the Push2 is quite big and bulky and needs a power supply so I’m looking at alternatives. The Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3 is high on the list.

I know the LLP mk3 has basic functionality for other DAWs apart from Live. I could use it with Live + RRP but I’m now wondering if it would also work reasonably well with the Reason standalone DAW as well.

Anyone tried this?

Stamatz

20 Jan 2023

I do, I use a Launchpad Pro MK3 with R12. I have it mapped in various ways. One way is mapping a few Dr. Octo Rex's, Kong and a synth. I also use it as a lightshow mapped to a midi out device.
There are 8 buttons on the boittom of the mk3 which you can create maps for almost anything in reason. The codec and map file I use are from the ones that come with the GridPro device/rack extension.
I also just purchased Map64, a new device in the shop which seemed interesting to use with the LPP-MK3 but I haven't tried it yet but seems fun and for $15.00 oin sale seemed like a great deal.
I'm in no way affiliated with that deviuce just thought it was a cool idea and has some uses. Have you installed the novation software?
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

MuttReason

20 Jan 2023

Cool, thanks. That sounds encouraging. Yes, I’ve played around with the Novation Components software to see what is possible in custom mode. It seems pretty useful for the basics (piano notes and drum layout) but also fairly limited in some other ways. I need to think through how I’d use the Components ‘map MIDI CC number to Launchpad pad as button’ option with Reason… essentially momentary/toggle switches. Might be some useful functions in Reason DAW mapped to MIDI CC but most of the really useful ones (eg transport controls, view controls) are computer keystrokes not MIDI CCs. Easy to set up with an Elgato StreamDeck (which I also use, and love) but less so with the Launchpad Pro Mk3.

• Information