Getting rack extensions before they are (potentially) removed from the shop?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2023

The thought regarding this has crossed my mind a couple of times. I think it's easy (at least for me) to take all the rack extensions in the shop for granted, thinking they will always be there. But several REs has been removed from he shop at this point. There a few where I'm very happy I pulled the trigger while I could. The TSAR reverb, PUMP, Uhbik A and RE2A for example.
There are a couple of REs in the shop now that I don't necessarily need, but I would feel sad if they got removed and there was no more opportunity to get them. I'm especially thinking about older stuff where the developer hasn't been active in a long time, like the Ochen K stuff. Anyone else who's had similar thoughts?

One part of me says "You don't need more stuff. You have enough toys to keep you busy for years". And another part of me says "This RE might disappear at anytime. You better get it while you can".

_andreypetr_

19 Jan 2023

I think every extension should be discussed individually for that case

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2023

I think only you can decide this but if it were me I would consider do I have the disposable funds and then will I use them. I know you said you don't necessarily need them but do you think you will in the future?

I understand the thought process though as I did not even know pump was discontinued until I recommended it to someone on a reason Facebook page. I am personally glad I got it whilst available.

dan_g

19 Jan 2023

This Rack Extension discontinues cause seriouse RE-GAS

:P
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
19 Jan 2023
Yep. The main REs I'm considering are 4MER and EDS06s Drum Synth by Ochen K. I just have this uneasy feeling that his stuff could disappear any day now.
I trialed them a long time ago so I can't try them out again. While they aren't REs I would use on a regular basis I did get the impression (if I remember them correctly) that they offered something different. And I think could see myself doing a small project around those two instruments at some point.
Anyone has any thoughts around those two REs?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
19 Jan 2023
I think only you can decide this but if it were me I would consider do I have the disposable funds and then will I use them. I know you said you don't necessarily need them but do you think you will in the future?

I understand the thought process though as I did not even know pump was discontinued until I recommended it to someone on a reason Facebook page. I am personally glad I got it whilst available.
Yeah perhaps my word "need" wasn't the best word choice. I usually find a purchase justified if a RE has played a major role in at least 2-3 tracks. After that they've become part of my own little collection of songs and in my world that's money well spent. Of course the price plays a role in it too. The more expensive something is the more I feel some sort of need to use it to justify my purchase.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2023

dan_g wrote:
19 Jan 2023
This Rack Extension discontinues cause seriouse RE-GAS

:P
Sorry about that. :puf_smile:

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2023
Popey wrote:
19 Jan 2023

Yeah perhaps my word "need" wasn't the best word choice. I usually find a purchase justified if a RE has played a major role in at least 2-3 tracks. After that they've become part of my own little collection of songs and in my world that's money well spent. Of course the price plays a role in it too. The more expensive something is the more I feel some sort of need to use it to justify my purchase.
Yeah I am very similar in that I need to feel value in a purchase. Part of me does think that if you would not miss the money perhaps get them to put your mind at ease and you can always find a use for any synth or fx in some capacity.

I have the eds06 drum synth as it came in the synthetic rig. Personally I cannot remember using it much but recall it had quite a few interesting sounds with some being quite chip tune if I recall correctly. Perhaps I should give it a go again as it has been a while.

Did ochen k make any yt vids for it as it may be a good place to get a better idea.

DaveyG

19 Jan 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2023

Yep. The main REs I'm considering are 4MER and EDS06s Drum Synth by Ochen K.
I can't speak for 4MER but you're not missing anything with the EDS06s.
It's the same old drum synth you probably have in a dozen other devices plus a few built-in FX. Definitely not a stand out product.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2023

DaveyG wrote:
19 Jan 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2023

Yep. The main REs I'm considering are 4MER and EDS06s Drum Synth by Ochen K.
I can't speak for 4MER but you're not missing anything with the EDS06s.
It's the same old drum synth you probably have in a dozen other devices plus a few built-in FX. Definitely not a stand out product.
Ok thanks. I actually don't have much drum stuff except for the RS studio ones. So it's the stock stuff plus the Umpf REs. Most of it is sample based.
If I were to purchase 4MER and EDS06 it's not necessarily for advanced high quality sounding stuff. It's more for a lofi, dare I say somewhat cheap sound. I remember feeling a bit disappointed when 4MER was initially released because I was hoping for something modern sounding like Expanse. And it doesn't sound anything like that.
During the time I trialed the two about 5 years ago I made this track using only those two REs.
But that was pretty much all I had time for at the time. I remember 4MER sounding vastly different depending on what sample rate you were Reason running on.

dusan.cani

19 Jan 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2023
The thought regarding this has crossed my mind a couple of times. I think it's easy (at least for me) to take all the rack extensions in the shop for granted, thinking they will always be there. But several REs has been removed from he shop at this point. There a few where I'm very happy I pulled the trigger while I could. The TSAR reverb, PUMP, Uhbik A and RE2A for example.
There are a couple of REs in the shop now that I don't necessarily need, but I would feel sad if they got removed and there was no more opportunity to get them. I'm especially thinking about older stuff where the developer hasn't been active in a long time, like the Ochen K stuff. Anyone else who's had similar thoughts?

One part of me says "You don't need more stuff. You have enough toys to keep you busy for years". And another part of me says "This RE might disappear at anytime. You better get it while you can".
Yes, I have the same thoughts as you mentioned. As there were cases in the past where several devices has gone, getting some devices which you like as soon as possible isn't bad idea IMHO. This is the reason that several months ago I've grabbed D-Filter device (awesome creative filtering unit BTW) and I am going to get ReFlanger.

The good example of disappeared RE is also AirRaid Audio REs, especially Mutagen which is very unique and excellent sounding multiband distortion. Sadly, this device is no more available. Does anybody know what happened to AirRaid Audio ?

crimsonwarlock

19 Jan 2023

Yep, same here. I even started a topic here about that a while ago. Stuff I got just in time: PX-7, Pump, all A-list guitarists, some FXpansion ones (but I missed Tres) and a few Airraid things that were free just before they left the building. I have a wishlist with things I still want to get over time, but some REs are on top, indeed because I'm afraid they could be gone before I get them.

My basic filter for this is the REs that haven't had any sales for years, and obviously no updates. My guess is that those are the developers who have basically left, but their stuff is still up… for now. Recently, I got Tritone (yep) and Re-tron, with this in mind. EDS06 is on my list as well, and Echobode, and we didn't hear from Blamsoft for years now, still have to get Zero (but that thing is pricey and as said, no sales anymore).
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dvdrtldg

19 Jan 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2023
_andreypetr_ wrote:
19 Jan 2023
Yep. The main REs I'm considering are 4MER and EDS06s Drum Synth by Ochen K. I just have this uneasy feeling that his stuff could disappear any day now.
I trialed them a long time ago so I can't try them out again. While they aren't REs I would use on a regular basis I did get the impression (if I remember them correctly) that they offered something different. And I think could see myself doing a small project around those two instruments at some point.
From memory, I think 4MER was a bug-ridden mess and the aggro it caused was one of the reasons Ochen K left the building. Not sure if it ever got properly fixed

I don't have 4MER but I do have EDS06s, which I rather like for fun factor - it's very tweakable and fast to work with. But the UI is a disaster. My eyesight is fine, but that thing with its teeny tiny cramped interface gives me a squinting migraine

rorystorm

19 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Jan 2023
Yep, same here. I even started a topic here about that a while ago. Stuff I got just in time: PX-7, Pump, all A-list guitarists, some FXpansion ones (but I missed Tres) and a few Airraid things that were free just before they left the building. I have a wishlist with things I still want to get over time, but some REs are on top, indeed because I'm afraid they could be gone before I get them.

My basic filter for this is the REs that haven't had any sales for years, and obviously no updates. My guess is that those are the developers who have basically left, but their stuff is still up… for now. Recently, I got Tritone (yep) and Re-tron, with this in mind. EDS06 is on my list as well, and Echobode, and we didn't hear from Blamsoft for years now, still have to get Zero (but that thing is pricey and as said, no sales anymore).
Definitely get echobode. Its great, you won't use it all the time but 100 percent worth it

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
19 Jan 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Jan 2023

From memory, I think 4MER was a bug-ridden mess and the aggro it caused was one of the reasons Ochen K left the building. Not sure if it ever got properly fixed

I don't have 4MER but I do have EDS06s, which I rather like for fun factor - it's very tweakable and fast to work with. But the UI is a disaster. My eyesight is fine, but that thing with its teeny tiny cramped interface gives me a squinting migraine
4MER potentially having bugs is definitely something to consider when deciding whether to get it or not.
I'll try to watch a couple of videos on these two REs.

QVprod

20 Jan 2023

If you have chosen not to buy something over the course of years amongst buying other things, you probably won't miss it if you can't buy it at some point in the future. Wanting to buy a RE just in case is just FOMO and you likely aren't missing anything.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2023

QVprod wrote:
20 Jan 2023
If you have chosen not to buy something over the course of years amongst buying other things, you probably won't miss it if you can't buy it at some point in the future. Wanting to buy a RE just in case is just FOMO and you likely aren't missing anything.
That's a fair point. There's some truth to that. Though there are quite a few REs I've bought that didn't get much use right after purchase. But years afterwards I felt a strong pull to dive into it and do something with it.

Aosta

20 Jan 2023

rorystorm wrote:
19 Jan 2023
Definitely get echobode. Its great, you won't use it all the time but 100 percent worth it

I use this RE is virtually everything I do, it is such a versatile tool :thumbup:
Tend the flame

crimsonwarlock

20 Jan 2023

QVprod wrote:
20 Jan 2023
If you have chosen not to buy something over the course of years...
There's stuff I didn't choose not to buy, but simply couldn't afford yet. When I switched over from Reaper, I decided to go all in on Rack Extensions and move away from VST-plugins (one of the reasons I moved to Reason). Replacing ALL your synths and FX with REs gets very expensive very fast :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

QVprod

21 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 Jan 2023
QVprod wrote:
20 Jan 2023
If you have chosen not to buy something over the course of years...
There's stuff I didn't choose not to buy, but simply couldn't afford yet. When I switched over from Reaper, I decided to go all in on Rack Extensions and move away from VST-plugins (one of the reasons I moved to Reason). Replacing ALL your synths and FX with REs gets very expensive very fast :puf_wink:
That’s a different case. I think most here weren’t bulk switching from one plug-in format to another.

crimsonwarlock

21 Jan 2023

QVprod wrote:
21 Jan 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 Jan 2023

That’s a different case. I think most here weren’t bulk switching from one plug-in format to another.
Agreed. I just threw my 2c in... as the rest of my money has gone into REs :lol:
-------

ab459

01 Feb 2023

Hi folks

I think to grab some cv stuff from OchenK too, like that:

A-Series 1 Modular Synth
A-Series 2 Modular Synth
Probability Drum Trigger
Probability CV Trigger

Can someone alert against this things ? Some bugs with that ?
I heard some not good replies about work of MicroTune, glad that someones shared that, wanted to grab this RE too, but forced delete from list after such info.

sdst
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2023

bought my last ones for this reason, but midi related REs

I dont care for, EQ, Comp, synth, reverb ...

svenh

20 Feb 2023

I have been away from Reason for a couple of years, so please forgive my ignorance! But I think that I read somewhere (long ago...) that if you develop and submit an RE, it is essentially future proof and should work forever. Whenever anything is updated (Reason, the RE SDK or whatever) everything should be backwards compatible and Reason Studios staff will recompile everything and it should work. Isn't this the case? If yes, why would an RE be removed from the shop?

joeyluck

20 Feb 2023

svenh wrote:
20 Feb 2023
I have been away from Reason for a couple of years, so please forgive my ignorance! But I think that I read somewhere (long ago...) that if you develop and submit an RE, it is essentially future proof and should work forever. Whenever anything is updated (Reason, the RE SDK or whatever) everything should be backwards compatible and Reason Studios staff will recompile everything and it should work. Isn't this the case? If yes, why would an RE be removed from the shop?
Yes, REs will continue to work in future versions of Reason, even if they are removed from the shop.

A RE dev might remove a RE from the shop for various reasons.

For instance, even if a dev has a RE that is solid, if they no longer develop for the RE format, a RE might be out of date in terms of features to its VST counterpart and the dev might prefer customers buy the VST to have the latest and greatest. Support isn't always just about things working without bugs. As long as a product exists, feature requests and support questions will exist.

If a dev develops for multiple formats, they might prefer customers buy the non-RE versions to not surrender a cut of the sales...and then remove the RE from the shop. Of course, other devs would argue that the future proof support of RE and the time not spent on constantly updating plugins makes the RE format worth it. And some devs would recognize that there are Reason customers who prefer to only buy REs.

• Information