Tinker CV Math Assistant - Now Released (free)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Pepin

18 Jan 2023

As announced last month, Tinker CV Math Assistant is now available in the shop for free :puf_smile:
This was an interesting project for me to develop, and I hope it sparks some ideas.

1.png
1.png (302.63 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
2.png
2.png (394.27 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
Tinker is a free Rack Extension for entering mathematical formulas to manipulate CV signals. A formula can contain numbers, variables, constants, operators, functions, and parentheses. The result of evaluating a formula is clearly displayed, and an integrated help menu lists all available functionality for quick reference. Tinker also supports patch loading and a configurable patch description.

You could use Tinker to perform arithmetic between different CV inputs, generate a tempo-synced waveform, build branched routings using the built-in knob and switch, and more. Explore endless possibilities!
Shop link: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... assistant/

Loque

18 Jan 2023

Excellent work, Pepin!

And thank you for your effort and generosity!
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

18 Jan 2023

An interesting and flexible device. I think the UI could be reused/extended to host a bytebeat engine (info + examples) which would make it a very nice geeky synth as well.

Also thank you very much for your generosity.

Stamatz

18 Jan 2023

Thank you very much Pepin! :puf_smile:
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

Bes
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2023

so great, many thanks
- Certified Reason expert

rorystorm

18 Jan 2023

really looking forward to playing with this. Thank you!!!!!

[edit: ok, so just a small amount of manual-reading and fiddling.
I have to admit I'm not that great with math so some bits are sadly over my head.
BUT the 'select' and 'lerp' functions alone are going to be incredibly handy.
Thank you again].
Last edited by rorystorm on 18 Jan 2023, edited 1 time in total.

MuttReason

18 Jan 2023

Pepin, thank you for this, super useful for some of my more out-there CV routing madness. Really generous of you to make this available for free, much appreciated.

moneykube

18 Jan 2023

THANK YOU !!!! :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

crimsonwarlock

19 Jan 2023

Now we have to wait and see what crazy things Poohbear is going to do with this :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

Iapetus 9

22 Jan 2023

Damnit Jim, I'm a musician, not a mathematician! I guess I should peruse the manual, and maybe fire up the fractal software. Thanks!
38L > 51D every time.

moneykube

23 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
19 Jan 2023
Now we have to wait and see what crazy things Poohbear is going to do with this :puf_bigsmile:
a crazy mind blowing setup no doubt :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

_andreypetr_

23 Jan 2023

Pepin, much love for this present for us!

reasonosaer

20 Mar 2023

thanks, great work

muckmclane

05 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
18 Jan 2023
As announced last month, Tinker CV Math Assistant is now available in the shop for free :puf_smile:
This was an interesting project for me to develop, and I hope it sparks some ideas.

1.png
2.png
Tinker is a free Rack Extension for entering mathematical formulas to manipulate CV signals. A formula can contain numbers, variables, constants, operators, functions, and parentheses. The result of evaluating a formula is clearly displayed, and an integrated help menu lists all available functionality for quick reference. Tinker also supports patch loading and a configurable patch description.

You could use Tinker to perform arithmetic between different CV inputs, generate a tempo-synced waveform, build branched routings using the built-in knob and switch, and more. Explore endless possibilities!
Shop link: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... assistant/
I was wondering if there is way to convert Desmos equations, into something Tinker can work with.

1 example:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (6.55 KiB) Viewed 174 times

Bes
Competition Winner

Yesterday

what is g(x,a,b) ? is it a 3dimensional coordinate? why not just plug it in and find out

muckmclane

Yesterday

Bes wrote:
Yesterday
what is g(x,a,b) ? is it a 3dimensional coordinate? why not just plug it in and find out
It appears correspond to a Desmos graph. The formulas as stated in the graphs, would need to be converted to something Tinker can read. As is, I will always get the message "Error: unknown token."

g.JPG
g.JPG (115.94 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Pepin

Yesterday

A lot of those equations can be represented in Tinker. Depending on the complexity, you might need multiple devices.
For the particular example you gave, you'd need multiple devices to fit all the g terms.
You'd want to use t (time) wherever x is used in the equations.
You'll also need to tweak Tinker's rate and scale the output, depending on the use case.

To give you an idea, you can formulate each term g(t, A, B) in Tinker like this

Code: Select all

A/(1+pow(e,60*(-t+0.5*B)))
Either replace A and B with the specific numbers, or send a constant signal with those values to the A and B variable inputs.

The full Rick Roll equation at the Desmos link is much longer than just those four terms, so you'd need to use many devices to recreate it. I think it would be tedious but nevertheless possible.

Bes
Competition Winner

Yesterday

oh thats the rick astley song, looks fun drawn out like that. tinker is great

• Information