Abandoned Rack Extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

14 Jan 2023

sublunar wrote:
14 Jan 2023
I did. They literally told me they had no plans to fix the known issues with their RE's. Which are still for sale in the shop. What better reason can one have for abandoning the RE ecosystem? I say that as a former true believer.
If you don’t mind my asking, do you still have the email? What was the bug exactly and what was the exact response they gave?

FWIW, abandoned plugins are every bit as likely, if not more likely outside the RE. Just look at the amount of plugins that NI have abandoned over the years.

I get that it feels particularly callous on the part of McDSP, given that their plugins are still on sale.

Cheers,
B

DaveyG

15 Jan 2023

Enlightenspeed wrote:
14 Jan 2023
FWIW, abandoned plugins are every bit as likely, if not more likely outside the RE. Just look at the amount of plugins that NI have abandoned over the years.
That's true but most companies that abandon or retire VSTs also stop selling them at that point. That's not necessarily the case with REs in the RS shop. I don't know what the bugs in the McDSP stuff are but if they are serious bugs then perhaps RS ought to be stepping in and asking the dev to either fix them or withdraw the REs from sale.

reasonosaer

15 Jan 2023

sublunar wrote:
14 Jan 2023
DaveyG wrote:
14 Jan 2023

McDSP still exist as a company although last time I looked their site made no mention of Reason or REs. Try emailing them.
I did. They literally told me they had no plans to fix the known issues with their RE's. Which are still for sale in the shop. What better reason can one have for abandoning the RE ecosystem? I say that as a former true believer.
There are many REs currently for sale in the shop that have known bugs that the developer has stated they have no intention of fixing, including devices that were included in the "Rigs" and including bugs that break or partially break the core functionality of the device. A few that spring to mind off the top of my head would be multiple Softube REs, multiple McDSP REs, Flower Audio 4Dyne, Reveal Sound ReSpire, and Project SAM Sampler. I vaguely remember finding issues with both the Korg Synths and the FXSpansion compressors that never got fixed but I can't recall what they were now or if I ever emailed the devs abou them.

Going by circumstantial evidence it seems that Propellerheads pretty thoroughly alienated all the original corporate participants and a bunch of the indie participants in the RE market within a few years of its launch. To the extent that some of them I emailed about RE bugs said they regretted ever building REs and felt zero obligation to support or even provide bug fixes for their RE products despite the fact they were still being sold. From my perspective the talented individual and small shop developers that have kept the RE format (and arguably the company) alive since then have mostly done so in spite of Props/RS, not with their support and collaboration.

RobBarnett

15 Jan 2023

I think devs should offer a free licence (not a discount code/voucher) for the VST version of a device for owners of the RE version (where they also exist in VST format). Just like Synapse do. Especially when the RE version has bugs that they never intend to fix.

After all if you buy VST you typically get the AU and AAX formats included.

Are you listening Rob Papen, Korg, Softube, UHe and RevealSound (Spire)......

Do you care?........

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2023

RobBarnett wrote:
15 Jan 2023
I think devs should offer a free licence (not a discount code/voucher) for the VST version of a device for owners of the RE version (where they also exist in VST format). Just like Synapse do. Especially when the RE version has bugs that they never intend to fix.

Do you care?........
Well, it all depends on how much work is involved.

If they had to give it away for free, well, ... it probably wouldn't be worth doing it as they're basically just losing money when there's the option for them to just use the VST.

dioxide

15 Jan 2023

If I buy a RE I expect it to work, not to be told to use a different format plugin.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2023

dioxide wrote:
15 Jan 2023
If I buy a RE I expect it to work, not to be told to use a different format plugin.
Of course, except in this case they simply have not fixed the bug in the RE so it's not advised to buy the RE version for this particular plugin.

It would be the exact same case if the VST had a bug but the RE didn't.

moneykube

15 Jan 2023

dioxide wrote:
15 Jan 2023
That was indeed how it was supposed to be, or was implied to be.
It is sad so many RE developers jumped ship for various REASONs :cry:
At any rate, many of their racks I purchased ended up being free for those that did not have them.
A lose / win kind of situation :idea:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Steedus
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2023

It's not just abandoned RE's that have on-going issues - Glacius X by DNA Labs seems to corrupt itself (causing Reason to disable it) every time when browsing patches. Seems to be particularly worse if doing so while the song is playing. I've tried to get the dev to comment on it, who I assume is still active, but my query has so far been ignored.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2023

RobBarnett wrote:
15 Jan 2023

Do you care?........
Could absolutely expect this if the RE has a bug which will never be rectified.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
16 Jan 2023
Could absolutely expect this if the RE has a bug which will never be rectified.
Yes, agreed.

When there are critical bugs in software, there needs to be a duty of care.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

09 Sep 2023

Steedus wrote:
15 Jan 2023
It's not just abandoned RE's that have on-going issues - Glacius X by DNA Labs seems to corrupt itself (causing Reason to disable it) every time when browsing patches. Seems to be particularly worse if doing so while the song is playing. I've tried to get the dev to comment on it, who I assume is still active, but my query has so far been ignored.
I was wondering if anyone else was having issues with Glacius. It has taken my whole computer down several times, to the point where I'm just going to remove it. Definitely don't buy this one.

Ichooselife

09 Sep 2023

ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 May 2017
I think there should be a list of Rack Extensions that will likely not receive updates or is abandoned. I have purchased these products, I'll be sad to not see updates or newer versions in the Prop shop.

Here are RE's I can think of off the top of my head.

Heavyocity's Aeon collection (get it on discount)
E-Instrument's StringWerk (amazing product I like the interface better than Session String Pro VST)
ProjectSAM's orchestral sampler (Save your money this should be 49.99 at best)
wish i still had that aeon collection i gave away the account with reason lite and that in it
i really miss it

Ichooselife

09 Sep 2023

RobBarnett wrote:
15 Jan 2023

Do you care?........
do synapse do this nice

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
09 Sep 2023
RobBarnett wrote:
15 Jan 2023

Do you care?........
do synapse do this nice
Inphoniks do it too. Good guys.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
09 Sep 2023
RobBarnett wrote:
15 Jan 2023

Do you care?........
do synapse do this nice
Rob Papen are very active and fix bugs when that arise, they also offer very good deal to upgrade to Explorer which contains many many products.

RevealSound offer to take off what money the RE version cost you for the latest version. Which is perfectly fair as some paid as little as £50 for it and you can do this during a sale as well. It's bit like they are giving you your money back..

Korg, Softube and UHe, too big and don't care, they are making their money..

• Information