(My first song in Reason ever) - Random Notes

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2023

Just thought it would be fun to share. I had written music before this, but this was my first time trying out Reason.
The mix is pretty awful, but that's to be expected from my 2011 self who didn't even know what the word "patch" meant or what a compressor was. But it sounds like I had fun either way.
I'm sure you can hear plenty of "Reason sounds" :puf_smile: . I know I can. Those FX sounds from NNXT got used quite a lot it seems.

crimsonwarlock

15 Jan 2023

Wow, that was awful… and awesome at the same time. You must be brave to post old tracks like that. I have hundreds of tracks from 'back then' that I would never release in the wild before a serious make-over :lol:

Production-wise, it's definitely at the 'what does this knob do?' level. But your overall style that we know of you today is already showing through. So, absolutely awesome :thumbup:

Impressive how far you have come in your production skills :clap:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
15 Jan 2023
Wow, that was awful… and awesome at the same time. You must be brave to post old tracks like that. I have hundreds of tracks from 'back then' that I would never release in the wild before a serious make-over :lol:

Production-wise, it's definitely at the 'what does this knob do?' level. But your overall style that we know of you today is already showing through. So, absolutely awesome :thumbup:

Impressive how far you have come in your production skills :clap:
Haha thanks. Yeah I try to avoid make-overs as much as possible. In general I'm not a fan of going back to change or re-release older material. That goes for music or movies or whatever the creative medium is.
I think you're right. Even though the song is old and the mix is crap, I can sense a particular way of approaching writing music that's still present today.
Not long ago I made a "critique my current mixing" thread. Going back several years is a good way to show to yourself that you have improved. Many times we don't notice the small day by day improvements. So taking a giant leap backwards can really help in that regard.

Popey
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2023

I quite like it as it has an innocent charm. The siren fx brought a big smile to my face and evoked memories of the dodgy mixer fx that was in a pub I used to dj at. Lots of siren, horn and even a dodgy "oh yeah" male vocal available and we used them 😂😂😂

This track was probably on point at that time.

You can definitely see parts of your style in this track and it shows massive improvement on your part 👍

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
15 Jan 2023
I quite like it as it has an innocent charm. The siren fx brought a big smile to my face and evoked memories of the dodgy mixer fx that was in a pub I used to dj at. Lots of siren, horn and even a dodgy "oh yeah" male vocal available and we used them 😂😂😂

This track was probably on point at that time.

You can definitely see parts of your style in this track and it shows massive improvement on your part 👍
I see what you mean with the innocent charm. While it's of course good to learn and develop your skills, there's often indeed a certain innocence and playfulness when someone is a beginner.
Listening back to some of my really old stuff, I think I had some decent ideas on a purely musical level. I just didn't have the production/mixing skills to make the most of them. I'd say it took me til about 2014-2015 before I reached a level where my mixes had the potential to turn out ok. Some were pretty good while others were not so good. At 2016 I got to a point where while my mixes might not always have been good, they were at least never terrible.

Heigen5

16 Jan 2023

Personally I think this was a really cool tune, doesn't matter that it is your first - well crafted and all. Loving the cop siren part.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2023

Heigen5 wrote:
16 Jan 2023
Personally I think this was a really cool tune, doesn't matter that it is your first - well crafted and all. Loving the cop siren part.
Thanks, glad you like it. :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
16 Jan 2023
Its actually quite melodic 👌👌👌
Yes it has its melodic moments here and there.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2023

Cool first Reason track, enjoyed it 😎

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2023

Arpeg wrote:
17 Jan 2023
Cool first Reason track, enjoyed it 😎

• Information