(House) Love Making feat. Bumbi

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
rare_shadow
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2023

Inspired by Quarmat's cool baseline generator video I decided to try something similar but it ended up very different I think.

As always I appreciate any feedback and thanks for listening.

Popey
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2023

Loads of energy and funk. enjoyable track. Feedback wise the only thing i did not like was the snare/clap, it seemed out of place , maybe too wide and a bit too present if you understand what i mean. It could do with a bit more snap personally but very fun tune.

Baylo

12 Jan 2023

That was great - really fun. I would have a liked a little more harmonic variation thrown in to change it up in a few places but I know that's not necessarily the genre and I happily sat here tapping my feet. Inspired now to revisit that video and try something myself.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jan 2023

Nice samples. The main idea is cool. But you have a rhythm problem. The drums and bass do not match the feel, rhythm or tempo of the samples and they go out of sync a lot. You should look into that.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2023

rare_shadow wrote:
12 Jan 2023
Inspired by Quarmat's cool baseline generator video I decided to try something similar but it ended up very different I think.
I am glad and honoured to hear this :)

Cool song! You can't have enough funky disco housey beats! How did you worked on this one? Did you sampled yourself or flipped some 3rd party samples? These samples are super tasty, especially the bists with strings and brass going together.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jan 2023
But you have a rhythm problem. The drums and bass do not match the feel, rhythm or tempo of the samples and they go out of sync a lot. You should look into that.
I also agree somewhat with Phillip: There are too many bass drum hits in proximity of the downbeats, I do not know their origin, but if they come from the sample I usually highpass the sample enought to have the kick and the low end bit of the bass removed (by doing this you still keep the groovy slaps and sweeps of the bass as they are in a higher freq range) and then add a bass instrument and a new kick with almost anything else heavily sidechained to it. I think this adds a lot to the danceability of the thing.

Anyway, good good job, I want to hear more of this!

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2023

Quarmat wrote:
17 Jan 2023
rare_shadow wrote:
12 Jan 2023
I am glad and honoured to hear this :)

Cool song! You can't have enough funky disco housey beats! How did you worked on this one? Did you sampled yourself or flipped some 3rd party samples? These samples are super tasty, especially the bists with strings and brass going together.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jan 2023
But you have a rhythm problem. The drums and bass do not match the feel, rhythm or tempo of the samples and they go out of sync a lot. You should look into that.
I also agree somewhat with Phillip: There are too many bass drum hits in proximity of the downbeats, I do not know their origin, but if they come from the sample I usually highpass the sample enought to have the kick and the low end bit of the bass removed (by doing this you still keep the groovy slaps and sweeps of the bass as they are in a higher freq range) and then add a bass instrument and a new kick with almost anything else heavily sidechained to it. I think this adds a lot to the danceability of the thing.

Anyway, good good job, I want to hear more of this!
Thanks :-) I bought a VST plugin called "Radio" recently which allows you to listen to and sample internet radio stations in the DAW. After watching your video I let the radio play funk stations and I sampled bits and pieces from many different songs. Then I chopped, reversed, filtered, added effects tpo all of those and arranged this track.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jan 2023
Nice samples. The main idea is cool. But you have a rhythm problem. The drums and bass do not match the feel, rhythm or tempo of the samples and they go out of sync a lot. You should look into that.
I agree with the rhythm problem. I should have put more attention to accurately cut the loops. Some samples require audio quantization because the original is already not perfectly on the grid.

The bass is a loop without kick drum. I added the kick drum and the bass is already side-chained from the kick. I'll try to increase the compressor release and see how that works. Overall, the track is very busy I agree with that.
Popey wrote:
12 Jan 2023
Loads of energy and funk. enjoyable track. Feedback wise the only thing i did not like was the snare/clap, it seemed out of place , maybe too wide and a bit too present if you understand what i mean. It could do with a bit more snap personally but very fun tune.
Thanks a lot! Yes the clap could be snappier.
Baylo wrote:
12 Jan 2023
That was great - really fun. I would have a liked a little more harmonic variation thrown in to change it up in a few places but I know that's not necessarily the genre and I happily sat here tapping my feet. Inspired now to revisit that video and try something myself.
Thanks for all your feedback! I hope to find time soon to revisit this track.

• Information