enter more text in song information

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
BeReasonable

08 Jan 2023

Sometimes when working on a song the lyrics come to me. So I turn to the easist place that will save it right with the song. Song information.
But there is only room there for a couple verses and maybe a chorus.

Been waiting for this to increase forever.

crimsonwarlock

08 Jan 2023

A free solution:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... mmentator/

Need more space, just load more in the rack :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DaveyG

08 Jan 2023

Until RS throw a bone to people who want support for lyrics, the best solution is the free VstNotepad:
https://codefn42.com/vstnotepad/index.html
The RE Commentators are a nice idea but not a substitute for a decent text editor.

And the Song Info window could be expanded in capacity but it is currently a blocking window so you can't have it open whilst working on a track.

challism

08 Jan 2023

DaveyG wrote:
08 Jan 2023
Until RS throw a bone to people who want support for lyrics, the best solution is the free VstNotepad:
The RE Commentators are a nice idea but not a substitute for a decent text editor.

And the Song Info window could be expanded in capacity but it is currently a blocking window so you can't have it open whilst working on a track.
Something that I worry about is future availability of VSTs. What if VstNotepad is hard to find/download in the future? I know it's unlikely to happen, but it is possible - It's a good idea to have all your favorite VST install files and serial numbers saved/backed up to clouds. But if you were unable to reinstall VstNotepad for some reason, all your lyrics and notes would be lost. That's one reason I prefer REs and TMA Commentator for saving text inside my Reason files.

It would be great if RS would give us a proper text editor in the utilities section.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

BeReasonable

08 Jan 2023

challism wrote:
08 Jan 2023
DaveyG wrote:
08 Jan 2023

Something that I worry about is future availability of VSTs. What if VstNotepad is hard to find/download in the future? I know it's unlikely to happen, but it is possible - It's a good idea to have all your favorite VST install files and serial numbers saved/backed up to clouds. But if you were unable to reinstall VstNotepad for some reason, all your lyrics and notes would be lost. That's one reason I prefer REs and TMA Commentator for saving text inside my Reason files.

It would be great if RS would give us a proper text editor in the utilities section.
That's one of my concerns with rack extension work arounds too. I had some free rack extensions just stop working and it took a day or two until were able to be re-authorized. No idea why a free one would have that need, but reason wanted t odo it, and I couldn't use it until it could contact the server gain (even though I'm still using the dongle I got with record).

DaveyG

09 Jan 2023

challism wrote:
08 Jan 2023
DaveyG wrote:
08 Jan 2023

It's always a risk with anything, even with Reason itself. But with lyrics we have (presumably) recorded them into the song as audio by the time we're on Windows 15 and VSTs have evaporated. Regardless of what DAW I have used, my finished songs get archived as WAV tracks/stems with two accompanying text files, one containing the lyrics and the other containing any project notes I may have bothered to take. It's a lesson hard learned from Cakewalk days.

But, yes, somewhere to develop and store lyrics within the main Reason program would be excellent and surely not that complicated.

• Information