Taming resonant sounds in the mix

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
robussc

03 Jan 2023

I've been working hard to improve my mixing skills and things are improving, but one thing that I can't get a grip on are resonant sounds. They just cut through the mix like a laser beam. EQing doesn't seem to help much and I don't want to lose the edge the resonance gives to the sound, so what other options are there?

Thanks!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

PhillipOrdonez

03 Jan 2023

Can you share an example?

Chizmata

03 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
03 Jan 2023
I've been working hard to improve my mixing skills and things are improving, but one thing that I can't get a grip on are resonant sounds. They just cut through the mix like a laser beam. EQing doesn't seem to help much and I don't want to lose the edge the resonance gives to the sound, so what other options are there?

Thanks!
its not easy, but single channel instead of sum EQ can help as well as just volume mixing.

selig
RE Developer

03 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
03 Jan 2023

Thanks!
What do you mean, an acoustic resonance or filter resonance?
Either way the thing they both have in common is they are basically sine waves, with all energy focused on a single frequency. If the frequency is super consistent (as with an microphone source), you can use a notch filter. But if it's a part of a synthesizer filter response that is sweeping, it's a moving target so you'll need dynamic/tracking solutions (or try a different filter type, they all resonate differently).
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

03 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
03 Jan 2023
What do you mean, an acoustic resonance or filter resonance?
Sorry, synth filter resonance.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

robussc

03 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
03 Jan 2023
But if it's a part of a synthesizer filter response that is sweeping, it's a moving target so you'll need dynamic/tracking solutions (or try a different filter type, they all resonate differently).
Hmm - it's not sweeping fortunately. I was trying to use the SSL EQ but I guess that's not surgical enough. Not sure any standard Reason EQ is enough to do the job?

robussc

03 Jan 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Jan 2023
Can you share an example?
I'll see what I can do. Any recommendations on sharing platforms? Can this site host short bits of audio?

Mataya

03 Jan 2023

Try different filter plugins. Maybe you'll find some with nicer resonance. I started using polyverse SuperModal. Love it.

Also I've been using BX refinement for years now. Works especially good on vocals and dialogue.

M

dvdrtldg

06 Jan 2023

I know not everyone loves this plugin, but if you're in the mood to spend some money it might be worth checking out Oeksound Soothe 2

Free 20-day trial
https://oeksound.com/plugins/soothe2/

robussc

06 Jan 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
06 Jan 2023
I know not everyone loves this plugin, but if you're in the mood to spend some money it might be worth checking out Oeksound Soothe 2

Free 20-day trial
Thanks, that’s quite pricey though!

dvdrtldg

06 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
06 Jan 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
06 Jan 2023

Free 20-day trial
Thanks, that’s quite pricey though!
It is, for sure. YMMV but I've found it to be well worth it (and I picked it up during one of their reasonably frequent sales)

BeReasonable

07 Jan 2023

TDR Nova and TDR slick eq both have an auto-learn function that scans your signal and detects resonant frequencies, and will set up eq points based on that. They have free and paid versions of both. Paid versions are quite affordable, especially when on sale.

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

BeReasonable wrote:
07 Jan 2023
TDR Nova and TDR slick eq both have an auto-learn function that scans your signal and detects resonant frequencies, and will set up eq points based on that. They have free and paid versions of both. Paid versions are quite affordable, especially when on sale.
AFAIK that option is not available in the free versions.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

robussc

07 Jan 2023

Currently I’m using the MClass EQ as an insert on the offending channel to tamp it down further. It seems to be working so far.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jan 2023

Resonance is excellent at getting a sound to cut through the mix. Adjusting the amount of resonance is how you control how much the sound cuts through the mix. If it’s too much, I’d simply start by reducing the resonance!
Synths are so good at controlling sound I find it best to start at the source when having a problem as you describe.
Try a different amount of resonance, different filter topologies, and FINALLY dynamic EQ or multi-band solution if you don’t have access to the original files.
An example would allow us to show you multiple solutions - there is almost always more than one solution to any problem in audio, and finding the best solution is part of the ‘fun’ of audio production IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

07 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
07 Jan 2023
Currently I’m using the MClass EQ as an insert on the offending channel to tamp it down further. It seems to be working so far.
I've been trying not to bluntly say what selig has just said politely.
Turn down the resonance knob on the synth you nutter! :thumbup:
Accidental resonances in the mix can be tricky but here you have control of it at source.

When you work on a track for long enough it's really easy to end up overdoing some elements of the track, normally the elements that you really like - probably the ones that made you head in that direction with the track in the first place. I'm a sucker for big, room-shaking synth sounds - the sort that sound great solo but occupy most of the frequency spectrum. It normally takes me a break of two or three days before I can admit that I've overdone the synth again. (As an aside, these are the sort of sounds that manufacturers put in amongst the first few presets on a synth because it boosts sales!)

BeReasonable

07 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
07 Jan 2023
BeReasonable wrote:
07 Jan 2023
AFAIK that option is not available in the free versions.
You're right. I was thinking number of bands was the big difference but that's one of the things only in the gentlemen's editions.

robussc

07 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
07 Jan 2023
Resonance is excellent at getting a sound to cut through the mix. Adjusting the amount of resonance is how you control how much the sound cuts through the mix. If it’s too much, I’d simply start by reducing the resonance!
Synths are so good at controlling sound I find it best to start at the source when having a problem as you describe.
Try a different amount of resonance, different filter topologies, and FINALLY dynamic EQ or multi-band solution if you don’t have access to the original files.
An example would allow us to show you multiple solutions - there is almost always more than one solution to any problem in audio, and finding the best solution is part of the ‘fun’ of audio production IMO!
Good point. The sound in isolation is fine of course, but when included with everything else it’s too much. My blunt knife is helping, but you’re probably right that I should just go to the source.

robussc

07 Jan 2023

DaveyG wrote:
07 Jan 2023
robussc wrote:
07 Jan 2023
I've been trying not to bluntly say what selig has just said politely.
Turn down the resonance knob on the synth you nutter! :thumbup:
Accidental resonances in the mix can be tricky but here you have control of it at source.

When you work on a track for long enough it's really easy to end up overdoing some elements of the track, normally the elements that you really like - probably the ones that made you head in that direction with the track in the first place. I'm a sucker for big, room-shaking synth sounds - the sort that sound great solo but occupy most of the frequency spectrum. It normally takes me a break of two or three days before I can admit that I've overdone the synth again. (As an aside, these are the sort of sounds that manufacturers put in amongst the first few presets on a synth because it boosts sales!)
Haha, yeah I hear you and Selig.

• Information