Reason 12.5.0 Released (VST3)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2023

InTheCity wrote:
01 Jan 2023

Thank you Enoch, for trying to help. MrFiggs response seemed almost intentionally obtuse.
Intentionally obtuse?! Was trying to help with a suggestion.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

02 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2023
InTheCity wrote:
01 Jan 2023

Thank you Enoch, for trying to help. MrFiggs response seemed almost intentionally obtuse.
It's probably better to be intentionally obtuse rather than accidentally or unwittingly so.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2023

DaveyG wrote:
02 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2023

It's probably better to be intentionally obtuse rather than accidentally or unwittingly so.
It's probably better not to offer help to folk who read negativity into things without any grounds.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

02 Jan 2023

InTheCity wrote:
01 Jan 2023
As I say, long time reason user, sound designer for games

I'm on windows 10, running a Clarett Pro on a fresh install of windows (2 weeks since - with all updates). 64 core workstation, loaded.
Tried switching to a default driver for a minute; the Clarret uses its own Focusrite ASIO driver. No luck there. I can import *.m4a and *.wav without issue.
Mp3s are coming into Albeton, After Effects, Premiere, UE5, C4D, anywhere I can get them loaded, there's no issues.
For me it's definitely happening since I got the update, and I updated after the reformat.

Wondering if perhaps there's a missing dll in my installation, something that Reason needs to recognize the mp3.
Maybe a codec pack or something so that they can communicate better in this beta version. I don't know.
I've had issues like this before with other software, where something wonky happens with the install.

Hesitant to install again, because I have custom profiles Arturia device that are a pain to update.
Let us know what support says. I do know that Reason can only read the codecs your OS officially supports, and Windows obviously supports MP3. No issues on my Windows 10 machine and Reason 12.5. If re-installing Reason didn’t correct the issue, you definitely have something unique going on.

Hoping support gets back soon - I know Reason Studios staff tends to take some time off during the holidays and there can often be delays.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kitekrazy

02 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2023
DaveyG wrote:
02 Jan 2023

It's probably better not to offer help to folk who read negativity into things without any grounds.
But forums have to have some drama

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2023

kitekrazy wrote:
02 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
02 Jan 2023

But forums have to have some drama
Enough drama with that ADSR thing :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

InTheCity

02 Jan 2023

[/quote]
[/quote]

I could see that, but telling a user who's been at it for 22 years where to drop the sample. Not that helpful in this case.
Not trying to offend anyone, but do appreciate it in life when people try to pay attention to what's being said.

InTheCity

02 Jan 2023

EnochLight wrote:
02 Jan 2023

Let us know what support says. I do know that Reason can only read the codecs your OS officially supports, and Windows obviously supports MP3. No issues on my Windows 10 machine and Reason 12.5. If re-installing Reason didn’t correct the issue, you definitely have something unique going on.

Hoping support gets back soon - I know Reason Studios staff tends to take some time off during the holidays and there can often be delays.
They responded quite quickly, with "Thanks for reporting. Is this the case for many/all mp3's you have? Is it possible to send over an mp3 example so I can take a look see if it is the case my end as well?"

It's definitely not an issue with mp3 corruption. Those mp3s run fine elsewhere.
Attempting to auto-play mp3s from the Reason companion packs, brings up a warning in the bottom left corner with a red x and the same unsupported message.

It's not the biggest deal, I'll just batch convert all of mp3s to m4a and get on with making music. Just a minor headache with no fix.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2023

InTheCity wrote:
02 Jan 2023
[/quote]

I could see that, but telling a user who's been at it for 22 years where to drop the sample. Not that helpful in this case.
Not trying to offend anyone, but do appreciate it in life when people try to pay attention to what's being said.
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that because you're "a user who's been at it for 22 years" I should be careful about how I offer my help? I've been on this forum a good length of time and never had a problem when asking for help from or giving help to users new or old. We all forget stuff but i guess that may not apply to someone with your years of experience. Welcome to ReasonTalk by the way. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Z'at enough drama for you KiteKrazy? :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jerry52

02 Jan 2023

Melodyne 5 opened in reason 12 . Will have to see how it works. But at least it opened.

Melodyne 5 working in my Reason 12 studio computer! (Well Alright)

EnochLight

02 Jan 2023

jerry52 wrote:
02 Jan 2023
Melodyne 5 opened in reason 12 . Will have to see how it works. But at least it opened.

Melodyne 5 working in my Reason 12 studio computer! (Well Alright)
Now, if only Reason supported ARA 2. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Reminiscence

05 Jan 2023

Are there alternative downloading options for Reason's latest version - because downloading it from the site is super slow... :( (I need the full download - not just the update patch) :question:

EnochLight

05 Jan 2023

Reminiscence wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Are there alternative downloading options for Reason's latest version - because downloading it from the site is super slow... :( (I need the full download - not just the update patch) :question:
Yep - download the latest from BitTorrent (via Reason Studios) as well:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 1655835441

Reminiscence

06 Jan 2023

Thanks a mil... EnochLight...

reasonwhy

07 Jan 2023

I'm using Win 11. The Korg Triton VST3 makes Reason crash to desktop. Same with the free Surge XT VST3 instrument.

_andreypetr_

07 Jan 2023

Do you know guys if there are some combinator 2 updates coming? I mean it works fone, but dynamic amount of back CV inputs, I miss them too much to fulfill my instrument setups. And stepped controls.
And what do you think about ability to load VSTs into Reason Rack Plugin? I know about decades of user requests, but is it possible to done after Apple silicon support rollout? And can we influence the future RS direction as they're more transparent since last year?
Last edited by _andreypetr_ on 07 Jan 2023, edited 2 times in total.

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

reasonwhy wrote:
07 Jan 2023
I'm using Win 11. The Korg Triton VST3 makes Reason crash to desktop. Same with the free Surge XT VST3 instrument.
Surge XT is working here flawlessly. Windows 10, though.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Salentino

07 Jan 2023

Surge XT crashes Reason 12.5 for me too. I am on WIN 10.

But only the VSt3, the VST 2 loads fine.

EnochLight

08 Jan 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
07 Jan 2023
Do you know guys if there are some combinator 2 updates coming?
While Reason Studios are definitely more averse to "keeping the door open" for updating things like this, there is currently nothing on the road maps they've publicized and zero mentions about it happening anytime soon to my knowledge.
_andreypetr_ wrote:
07 Jan 2023
And what do you think about ability to load VSTs into Reason Rack Plugin? I know about decades of user requests, but is it possible to done after Apple silicon support rollout?
I think it would be awesome, but again - there is zero mentions of anything like this happening on the roadmaps they've published. Whether it's technically feasible or not is a mystery.
_andreypetr_ wrote:
07 Jan 2023
And can we influence the future RS direction as they're more transparent since last year?
Influence? I doubt by very much, but again - they are keeping the door open to updating core Reason stuff/previous releases a lot more these days compared to how they used to operate. As for influence, I'd just keep firing off feature requests directly to them via their social networking channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube) or send them directly to them. :thumbup:

reasonwhy

09 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
07 Jan 2023
reasonwhy wrote:
07 Jan 2023
Surge XT is working here flawlessly. Windows 10, though.
Interesting. Surge XT (VST3) crashes when I try to expand the "Filter 1" selector/control. It happens every time.

I bought Korg MicroKorg VST which is also VST3 only. It works flawlessly. But not Triton VST3, which crashes everytime I try to open it.

Anyway, I'm happy that I can finally use VST3 in Reason (sort of). Well done RS :-)

ebinary

12 Jan 2023

deeplink wrote:
19 Dec 2022
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
  • Reason can now host VST3 Instrument, Effect and Utility plug-ins
Thanks for VST3 support!!!

Had a weird bug in the VST3 plugin I'd been waiting to use... SynthV (Dreamtonics Synthesizer V), the vocal synthesizer.

SynthV lets you create vocal lines with a synthetic vocalists, so it has an internal sequencer to add the lyrics and melodies. It works perfectly within the product.

So I create music and the vocals to go with it and it plays fine in Reason, BUT...

When I go to export the audio, OR self-bounce the source track... it just randomly omits parts of the SynthV vocals. It starts rendering the SynthV vocal track at some arbitrary point in the song. I've tried adding an empty note container (this is actually required to tell it the length to render). I've added some ghost notes or CC control before and after the vocal area to try to force it to render the whole thing, but I have not come up with any consistent way to force the track to successfully render.
Again, if you play back in Reason the song renders everything is in the right spot... you just can't export or bounce it to an audio track (the bounced track will be empty for some portion).
Fortunately, SynthV allows it's own external export, so I can temporarily export it's internal tracks, then paste them back into the song, but now we are nearly in the same spot as when VST3's weren't available (a little better, because you can at least get the song tweaked before you start exporting).

Let me know what else I need to provide to replicate this. If anyone has workaround from other plug-ins with similar behavior, please let me know.

rgdaniel

12 Jan 2023

Rather than bounce, maybe you could set the SynthV track as a "rec source", then create a new audio track with its input set to the SynthV track you just set as a source, and record it to audio in real time? Just thinking out loud.

ebinary

13 Jan 2023

rgdaniel wrote:
12 Jan 2023
Rather than bounce, maybe you could set the SynthV track as a "rec source", then create a new audio track with its input set to the SynthV track you just set as a source, and record it to audio in real time? Just thinking out loud.
Appreciate the suggestion. That worked, but of course it occurs in real-time, so slower than exporting and dragging the result from the tool. But less hassle.

iTrensharo

24 Jan 2023

Kinda buggy. Arturia Efx Fragments shows up as an FX for VST2 (correct) but a Utility for VST3 (incorrect).

Also, no granular control over what shows up and what doesn't in the browser. Some VST2 plug-ins on Windows have to exist for NKS compatibility (Arturia, iZotope, etc.) but are otherwise redundant in DAWs that support VST. That's fine if that's all that was on the system, but there are still a few plug-ins that are VST2 only (Serato Sampler, Reaktor 6, etc.) and you cannot enable many of them without dragging a ton of other VST2 plug-ins into the browser, as they exist in the same folder and sometimes moving the VST plug-in from the folder it was installed to breaks things (ran into this issue recently with Native Instruments stuff). So, you end up with a massive list filled with redundant VST2 plug-ins and you have to read the tiny VST text (or select by color) when choosing between them.

That is more of a browser issue than a core VST Support issue, just exposed by the expanded VST plug-in format support...

crimsonwarlock

25 Jan 2023

iTrensharo wrote:
24 Jan 2023
you cannot enable many of them without dragging a ton of other VST2 plug-ins into the browser
You can disable individual plugins in the plugin manager window in Reason.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information