ADSR/ Nectar 3 pricing error. Badly handled.

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

Right...been a few discussions about this on different forums. Just before Xmas ADSR had iZotope Nectar 3 on sale for $12.50. Turns out they'd made a mistake and priced it wrongly...$12.50 instead of $124.50. (As we know though it's not unusual for iZotope to have their products on stupid sale prices). In the time between putting it out on their site and discovering the mistake they obviously sold quite a few licenses. ADSR then sent an email telling the people who had purchased that the licenses would be voided. Personally I can see that mistakes can be made but being TOLD instead of asked just bugged the hell of me and made me less inclined to sympathize. They did offer some drum machine and sample packs to compensate if the email was replied to. I didn't reply or accept. Anyway...today I received a refund to my Paypal account without any further correspondence from ADSR. Due to the exchange rate being lower today than when I purchased I received a refund of 130,96 SEK instead of the 137,04 I paid. So not even a full refund. Nectar 3 is licensed to my PC and iLok account. It's also still showing on my iZotope account. I'm not so much bothered about the money. It's the attitude of ADSR and the way that this has been handled which is annoying me. Anybody else?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2023
Right...been a few discussions about this on different forums. Just before Xmas ADSR had iZotope Nectar 3 on sale for $12.50. Turns out they'd made a mistake and priced it wrongly...$12.50 instead of $124.50. (As we know though it's not unusual for iZotope to have their products on stupid sale prices). In the time between putting it out on their site and discovering the mistake they obviously sold quite a few licenses. ADSR then sent an email telling the people who had purchased that the licenses would be voided. Personally I can see that mistakes can be made but being TOLD instead of asked just bugged the hell of me and made me less inclined to sympathize. They did offer some drum machine and sample packs to compensate if the email was replied to. I didn't reply or accept. Anyway...today I received a refund to my Paypal account without any further correspondence from ADSR. Due to the exchange rate being lower today than when I purchased I received a refund of 130,96 SEK instead of the 137,04 I paid. So not even a full refund. Nectar 3 is licensed to my PC and iLok account. It's also still showing on my iZotope account. I'm not so much bothered about the money. It's the attitude of ADSR and the way that this has been handled which is annoying me. Anybody else?
I saw a few comments about this on other forums too. So if you run the izotope installer will it let you have nectar (or is it already installed). If you don't have the product they could at least refund you properly.

If you do have it I wonder how they will unapply the licence. Probably a lot of money lost by adsr if they had honoured the mistake but in my opinion they should have just sucked it up.

This reminded me of when my friend had issues claiming a footie bet when the bookmaker claimed the bet was accepted in error and refused to pay up.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
06 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2023
I saw a few comments about this on other forums too. So if you run the izotope installer will it let you have nectar (or is it already installed). If you don't have the product they could at least refund you properly.

If you do have it I wonder how they will unapply the licence. Probably a lot of money lost by adsr if they had honoured the mistake but in my opinion they should have just sucked it up.

This reminded me of when my friend had issues claiming a footie bet when the bookmaker claimed the bet was accepted in error and refused to pay up.
The iZotope portal is still showing Nectar 3, as is the “My Purchases” section on my IZotope account. Also still registered to iLok.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2023
Popey wrote:
06 Jan 2023

The iZotope portal is still showing Nectar 3, as is the “My Purchases” section on my IZotope account. Also still registered to iLok.
Have you installed it? Personally if so I would email adsr regarding the refund discrepancy and then keep using nectar 3 until it is sorted out (or they stop it working).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
06 Jan 2023
MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2023

Have you installed it? Personally if so I would email adsr regarding the refund discrepancy and then keep using nectar 3 until it is sorted out (or they stop it working).
Yeah, I've got it installed. Way I see it is they can't remove it until they've refunded me in full. I don't want to have any more communication with ADSR. If the license gets voided I'll take the issue directly with iZotope.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

06 Jan 2023

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jan 2023
Popey wrote:
06 Jan 2023

Yeah, I've got it installed. Way I see it is they can't remove it until they've refunded me in full. I don't want to have any more communication with ADSR. If the license gets voided I'll take the issue directly with iZotope.
I'm not sure they have the power to remove it from iLok. I guess they could release an update that blacklists those serial numbers.
Anyhow, I'm definitely in the camp that thinks they should suck it up and console themselves that they have sold the product to many users who would not have bought it at the higher price. So they could have taken no action and viewed it as revenue gained rather than lost.

The funny thing is that I didn't bat an eyelid when someone posted the original erroneous offer. Nectar is one of those product that seems have dozens of variants and pricing ranges from peanuts to ouch and crazy sales are frequent.

• Information