Combinator 2: Make buttons 2 way and logical

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
BeReasonable

04 Jan 2023

Making combinators so I can control most functions with a lot of VSTs / RE's while having the devices folded. Two things that are needed:

1) Need two way linking actions both ways so if I'm actually using a RE or change the status of a VST inside the rack, the status of the corresponding button / knob on the combinator should be updated to reflect the current status of the linked device. E.G. I bypass a VST down in the rack, the button that is mapped to it changes to the "bypass" status I set up in the programmer.

2) Need basic logical operations where there is button overlap using the shared features of an RE. For example, I have multiple Reference 5 units in a combinator. I'd like to be able to use the combinator buttons to switch between 1 through 5. When I do that the reference 5 changes but the other buttons controlling it stay the same. The easiest way to do this would be to allow combinator buttons to control the status of other buttons, just like how one button can control multiple RE/VST devices.

So in the Ref 5 example you have 5 buttons. When you press button 3 you could also specify it changes the status of buttons 1,2,4,and 5 to off at the same time.

huggermugger

04 Jan 2023

BeReasonable wrote:
04 Jan 2023

2) Need basic logical operations where there is button overlap using the shared features of an RE. For example, I have multiple Reference 5 units in a combinator. I'd like to be able to use the combinator buttons to switch between 1 through 5. When I do that the reference 5 changes but the other buttons controlling it stay the same. The easiest way to do this would be to allow combinator buttons to control the status of other buttons, just like how one button can control multiple RE/VST devices.

So in the Ref 5 example you have 5 buttons. When you press button 3 you could also specify it changes the status of buttons 1,2,4,and 5 to off at the same time.
You're talking about "radio buttons", which is a long-standing concept in object-oriented programming scenarios like the Combinator 2. Props should definitely try to make it happen.

joeyluck

04 Jan 2023

I think one way of achieving radio buttons could be the ability to assign Combi controls as sources.

I'd like to be able to assign Combi controls as sources to have a super macro, or be able to assign an X/Y pad (if we get one) to other Combi controls and maybe have something along the lines of Retouch Control's Morpher CV.

But I'm also thinking, if we could assign Combi controls as sources, then we could tell Button A to perform whatever functions directed towards devices in the container, while also telling it to turn off Buttons B, C, D, etc.

BeReasonable

04 Jan 2023

huggermugger wrote:
04 Jan 2023
BeReasonable wrote:
04 Jan 2023

You're talking about "radio buttons", which is a long-standing concept in object-oriented programming scenarios like the Combinator 2. Props should definitely try to make it happen.

Radio buttons cover the general principle for a lot of situations. But for others, it's a little beyond radio buttons since multiple buttons even in different groups could / should be able to trigger on / off status. And one button may effect multiple unrelated buttons.

For example I have my mastering combinator. But I don't want all the VSTs on while tracking so I made a kill switch, which turns all the VSTs off and switches ref 5 to the first dry signal. But all the lights showing my VSTs in the rack still stay lit up. That's not a problem if I just flip back and forth between master on and off, but doing anything other than that becomes an issue and status lights do not reflect reality.

Turatillad1964

27 Aug 2023

To establish a two-way link between a device (such as a VST or RE) and a combinational control, you will need to use the programming or mapping options available in your software or hardware. This usually involves assigning the control parameters of the device to the combo controller and vice versa. That way, any changes made to the linked device will be reflected in the hybrid control, and the changes made to the hybrid control affect the linked device.

sonic exe

• Information